No announcement yet.

Boston College Offseason (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Offseason (Continued)

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
    GJD66 emailed me a link to the BC bookstore, looks like Under Armour didn't muck with the uniform design at all.

http://www.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay/...46-1?demoKey=d
    which means they didn't put the old soaring Eagle back on the front like some of us had hoped..........still pretty snazzy though of course

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Agreed. This is simply college coaches being reactive to the tug from Major Junior. It's a short term remedy which will cause longer term issues.

I'd like to see a guy like Jerry York (who frankly, has the recruiting werwithal and the program not to have to go down this path) to lead as opposed to follow. I'd like him to come out and say BC is not going to recruit 14-15 year olds because we don't believe in that practice....
      Bothman, if these commitments were binding, I'd agree with you. I think in an ideal world, York would like these commitments to stay quiet until the kids are older. I've personally seen 12 year olds being scouted by colleges recently, as sad as it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
        Bothman, if these commitments were binding, I'd agree with you. I think in an ideal world, York would like these commitments to stay quiet until the kids are older. I've personally seen 12 year olds being scouted by colleges recently, as sad as it sounds.
        Point well taken. But by recruiting these pre-pubescents, York is endorsing this lack of commitment which is unfortunate.

I don't think BC would be any worse if York made a declaration tomorrow that said "I'm not going to accept a commitment from any kid before he is a junior in high school because until that time, I can't deliver a full commitment to such players (who knows if a great player at 14 will be a great player at 18), and I can't expect a full commitment from such players (how can a 14 year old with such limited life experience know what is in his best interests).

Comment

Point well taken. But by recruiting these pre-pubescents, York is endorsing this lack of commitment which is unfortunate.

I don't think BC would be any worse if York made a declaration tomorrow that said "I'm not going to accept a commitment from any kid before he is a junior in high school because until that time, I can't deliver a full commitment to such players (who knows if a great player at 14 will be a great player at 18), and I can't expect a full commitment from such players (how can a 14 year old with such limited life experience know what is in his best interests).
          As nice as it would be to see I won't hold my breath for it to happen, a mutiny is rarely started by those who have perfected the current system and are benefiting from it. If I was Coach York the status quo would be more than acceptable for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
            As nice as it would be to see I won't hold my breath for it to happen, a mutiny is rarely started by those who have perfected the current system and are benefiting from it. If I was Coach York the status quo would be more than acceptable for me.
            To Bothman's credit, how many kids on Boston College's or BU's title teams the last few years had players on their rosters who committed when they were 14? I don't think any, right?
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Right now it looks like they just slapped their logo on jerseys likely even manufactured by someone else (nike?). Of course, what the team gets could be entirely different and just might be a high performance type of jersey.
              That's essentially what Reebok did.

With the picture, it looks like they Photoshopped in the UA logo over the Reebok logo. The inside tag is identical to the one from the Reebok jersey.
              1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                To Bothman's credit, how many kids on Boston College's or BU's title teams the last few years had players on their rosters who committed when they were 14? I don't think any, right?
                seems like a newish phenomenon. wasn't it four years ago maybe that michigan got some 14 yo kid -- and once the barn door was opened
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

That's too bad. I was hoping for something different that what we have. (Eagle on front, etc).
                  Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  I had a strong feeling UA wasn't going to do anything new just yet. Especially considering they didn't change up the football uniforms at all (this year... look for gold jersey/gold pants to be added to the combinations for FB next year creating a slew of new permutations in an Oregon-stupid kind of way).

Maybe next year we'll see something new for hockey as well.

Right now it looks like they just slapped their logo on jerseys likely even manufactured by someone else (nike?). Of course, what the team gets could be entirely different and just might be a high performance type of jersey.

They definitely need a freakin 3rd jersey going back to the mid 90s home jersey with the Eagle on the front. Put it in as a special jersey for the NCAAs only or something to give the team a small incentive to open them up out of the closet.
                  I'd definitely be in favor of a 3rd jersey with the old school Eagle on it, but prefer the Boston College ones in general. What was the last year of the Eagle logo?

Agreed. This is simply college coaches being reactive to the tug from Major Junior. It's a short term remedy which will cause longer term issues.

I'd like to see a guy like Jerry York (who frankly, has the recruiting werwithal and the program not to have to go down this path) to lead as opposed to follow. I'd like him to come out and say BC is not going to recruit 14-15 year olds because we don't believe in that practice....

Nobody likes the idea of these kids giving verbal commitments so early. Quite honestly, I don't remember when exactly this became an issue. It's not a York thing, though. This is a college hockey thing. Sure I would love for York or any program for that matter to not recruit these young kids, but it is what it is. Until you see a rule put in place, I don't see anything changing. And as we've seen anyway, a lot of times, the verbal commitment means absolutely nothing and can come back to bite programs.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    seems like a newish phenomenon. wasn't it four years ago maybe that michigan got some 14 yo kid -- and once the barn door was opened
                    Bourque and Pineault were 14 when they committed right? If anything, those clowns are reason enough not to get commits from kids that age.

Comment

Bourque and Pineault were 14 when they committed right? If anything, those clowns are reason enough not to get commits from kids that age.

s whitney
                      fitzgerlad
                      vatrano

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        s whitney
                        fitzgerlad
                        vatrano
                        Whitney seems to be ok, but no one knows how Fitzgerald and Vatrano will be. You'd think playing in US Select tournaments would mature them but Pineault and Bourque (although they played there too) were morons.

Comment

I agree that recruiting young kids is a product of the college hockey recruiting rules. However I don't see what coach York and co. is doing to be wrong in the least bit. If you can stack your pipeline with top talents for years to come, why wouldn't you do it? Strike while the iron is hot right? The BC Hockey iron is certainly hot, so why not take advantage of the perception and image while you can? Why let the competition even sniff the best 14 year olds? Young kids admire the BC players, the championships, and the consistency of producing national contending teams year in and year out. Why wouldn't you go to BC? It's clearly been the best program in the country since these kids have been born. And as mentioned earlier, these are verbal commitments. Case in point is Cody Ferriero. He saw the writing on the wall, either go to BC and fight for playing time, or back out and go to NU. (oh wait, I'm wrong, he backed out because BC doesn't play a physical style) Ultimately the player has a right to back out, so what's the big deal? BC is simply using their image and past success to attract the best players in multiple age groups. Isn't that the goal of any sports organization? Win now and stack the pipeline for the future? If they are right with these picks, keep it up. If not, then change your philosphy. Just keep winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                            I agree that recruiting young kids is a product of the college hockey recruiting rules. However I don't see what coach York and co. is doing to be wrong in the least bit. If you can stack your pipeline with top talents for years to come, why wouldn't you do it? Strike while the iron is hot right? The BC Hockey iron is certainly hot, so why not take advantage of the perception and image while you can? Why let the competition even sniff the best 14 year olds? Young kids admire the BC players, the championships, and the consistency of producing national contending teams year in and year out. Why wouldn't you go to BC? It's clearly been the best program in the country since these kids have been born. And as mentioned earlier, these are verbal commitments. Case in point is Cody Ferriero. He saw the writing on the wall, either go to BC and fight for playing time, or back out and go to NU. (oh wait, I'm wrong, he backed out because BC doesn't play a physical style) Ultimately the player has a right to back out, so what's the big deal? BC is simply using their image and past success to attract the best players in multiple age groups. Isn't that the goal of any sports organization? Win now and stack the pipeline for the future? If they are right with these picks, keep it up. If not, then change your philosphy. Just keep winning.
                            Why not use the example of the kid BC drove out because he wasnt willing to go to the USHL for 2 years after telling him he could come straight in from hs? Didnt they grab him at 14 or 15 and then "change" their mind.

Ferriero didnt see the writing on the wall, he didnt like the program and went to one that is a better fit in his eyes. Good for him, why find out after the fact when its to late. Did BC back out on the other kid? No way, they are above that. BS, its a busines to them and they are just as guily as CF was if you want to call a spade a spade. They took a kid and then when he was ready to come, dropped a bomb on his lap, all for the sole purpose of driving him out. In the end it worked out as McCarthy had a very good season for UVM, 17 pts in 36 games. Dont kid yourself. Chris Kreider wanting to come in a year early had a lot to do with BC's desire for him to play a year or 2 of juniors. '

It worked out perfect in the end as CK was ready and had outgrown PA big time. CM also did well and UVM was a select school of his from day one.

It will work out for the best here with CF as well
                            Last edited by Hokydad; 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              Ferriero didnt see the writing on the wall, he didnt like the program and went to one that is a better fit in his eyes. Good for him, why find out after the fact when its to late. Did BC back out on the other kid? No way, they are above that. BS, its a busines to them and they are just as guily as CF was if you want to call a spade a spade. They took a kid and then when he was ready to come, dropped a bomb on his lap, all for the sole purpose of driving him out.
                              Little Cody is a clown. He decommits because he is told he isn't guaranteed ice time as a freshman on a historically good team this fall and then runs to the Gloucester Times and says "BC isn't physical enough". F him. I hope BC breaks this kid in two in October and hits him so hard big brother Benn feels it.

The bottom line is he's not that good and probably would be in the stands for 1 of every 3 games if not more. Now he can go to NU and score ten goals a year and play for a .500 team for four years. Enjoy it Cody!

Comment

Little Cody is a clown. He decommits because he is told he isn't guaranteed ice time as a freshman on a historically good team this fall and then runs to the Gloucester Times and says "BC isn't physical enough". F him. I hope BC breaks this kid in two in October and hits him so hard big brother Benn feels it.

The bottom line is he's not that good and probably would be in the stands for 1 of every 3 games if not more. Now he can go to NU and score ten goals a year and play for a .500 team for four years. Enjoy it Cody!
                                You have to slow down with the anger....

CF is a fantastic hockey player and would have helped BC win games. I will bet you any amount you want he scores more than 10 goals as a freshmen and NU will finish better than BC next year.

If he was in the stands it would only be because of the promisses made to other players and not because of even up play.

Virtually every scouting source had him listed as "arguably" New Englands most talented player in the draft this year. Tim Burke was shocked to see him available in 5th rd. He will mature under Cronin

Comment

Working...
                                X