Boston College Offseason (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston College Offseason (Continued)

"This coming from a guy who speaks for "ALL" . Even the "Thus far" comment is insinuating, more to follow..."--Hokydad

This is what I said:

"There's no question he has left a mark on the San Jose coaches, etc. thus far, but for the people who watched him for four years...

I'd say most if not all we're surprised at his rookie pro season last year."

Maybe I should have clarified, but when I said people who watched him for four years--I meant BC fans. The door is open for BC fans to disagree with me. I just think most/all of us didn't expect Benn to have a first pro season like he did.

Enough about the "thus far". All I meant was through one season. If you're asking me if I expect him to build off that first year and improve, yes, I do. Happy?

Re: Boston College Offseason (Continued)

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    "This coming from a guy who speaks for "ALL" . Even the "Thus far" comment is insinuating, more to follow..."--Hokydad

This is what I said:

"There's no question he has left a mark on the San Jose coaches, etc. thus far, but for the people who watched him for four years...

I'd say most if not all we're surprised at his rookie pro season last year."

Maybe I should have clarified, but when I said people who watched him for four years--I meant BC fans. The door is open for BC fans to disagree with me. I just think most/all of us didn't expect Benn to have a first pro season like he did.

Enough about the "thus far". All I meant was through one season. If you're asking me if I expect him to build off that first year and improve, yes, I do. Happy?
    I am not arguing with you. You say with a straight face that "most/all of us" didnt expect him to do well. You dont speak for everyone and neither do I.
    The real hockey guys(not me) from BC were not surprised. Maybe a little but they all knew Benn was a better pro type player than a college player. Very accountable and gets the game in all 3 zones. Anytime a kid goes from college to nhl is a surprise but based upon the way he played, the Jerry Buckleys etc of BC fan base are not shocked.

Dumoulin did fine. The class up there is at D and this team looks very good. They also sent Tinordi home. Almost have to kill someone to get sent home as a us natl team kid. Just shows you how poorly he played. Program is a farce

UNH would have loved to have kept Bourque.
    Last edited by Hokydad; 08-02-2010, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      Program is a farce
      You know I'm with you on this one but seeing kids get cut from the WJC team that were part of the US program is encouraging (Nieto/Tinordi). Maybe they are addicted to winning after that thrilling win in Canada last year and will just pick the best players for this thing and leave politics at home finally? I know... I'm dreaming.

Benn Ferriero is an interesting guy to talk about. Looking back, yea, he played all of the zones and that is what gets you in the show but while he was here he just seemed like one of those guys that excels in college with that nice shot from the slot and was not a pro type. Skating was never a strong suit although at times he showed great speed, particularly once when I saw him in a preseason practice for season ticket holders, but in games he didn't seem like a burner. Wasn't a huge guy but did like to get physical... I mean, that doesn't look like the type of guy you look at and go, he's sure fire NHL material. Goes to show you how versatile he is (and hard-working). His making the opening night roster for a team like SJ was shocking. Particularly in light of his bizarre senior campaign, where he was really way off for almost the entire season and it was apparent something was wrong with him.

Current players should take note of Ferriero. Play smart, know how to play in your own end, work your butt off, and pay attention to details. That separates the men from the boys really quickly.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        You know I'm with you on this one but seeing kids get cut from the WJC team that were part of the US program is encouraging (Nieto/Tinordi). Maybe they are addicted to winning after that thrilling win in Canada last year and will just pick the best players for this thing and leave politics at home finally? I know... I'm dreaming.

Benn Ferriero is an interesting guy to talk about. Looking back, yea, he played all of the zones and that is what gets you in the show but while he was here he just seemed like one of those guys that excels in college with that nice shot from the slot and was not a pro type. Skating was never a strong suit although at times he showed great speed, particularly once when I saw him in a preseason practice for season ticket holders, but in games he didn't seem like a burner. Wasn't a huge guy but did like to get physical... I mean, that doesn't look like the type of guy you look at and go, he's sure fire NHL material. Goes to show you how versatile he is (and hard-working). His making the opening night roster for a team like SJ was shocking. Particularly in light of his bizarre senior campaign, where he was really way off for almost the entire season and it was apparent something was wrong with him.

Current players should take note of Ferriero. Play smart, know how to play in your own end, work your butt off, and pay attention to details. That separates the men from the boys really quickly.
        To me, Benn Ferriero looked disinterested most of the time, maybe bored. He did well during the 2008 run (his goal vs. Minnesota was spectacular). I'm not surprised he got some time in the NHL, but I thought he would have had a much better collegiate career when he arrived. I thought he was a good kid who didn't say much. Cody seems to be the complete opposite of Benn (class, etc)

Comment

WJC Evaluation Camp

Some asked about Brian D. on defense...he looks very good!

Steve W. and Kevin H. also preformed very well. One most give real credit to the quality of competition here...truly top end.

Chris K. has been under the weather but still looks very good.

Phil S. and Patrick W. have been paired together and look like a shutdown combination.

Both Sweden and Finland are supposed to have strong teams so next few days should be fun for the BC kids. All in the boys have represented their school with pride.

Comment

You say with a straight face that "most/all of us" didnt expect him to do well. You dont speak for everyone and neither do I.
            I don't claim to know anybody or have any inside info. Just giving my opinion on BC fans. If they disagree, they are obviously free to write what they thought.

The real hockey guys(not me) from BC were not surprised. Maybe a little
            LOL

So you admit they might have been a little surprised? We can just leave it at that.

Comment

maybe Hokydad can tell us about our newest signee, Steven Savage from california .............just posted on EagleAction, a report from USHR

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                maybe Hokydad can tell us about our newest signee, Steven Savage from california .............just posted on EagleAction, a report from USHR
                Maybe?

Of course he can...

Comment

Hokydad can tell us about our newest signee, Steven Savage from california .............just posted on EagleAction, a report from USHR
                  FMP

Comment

According to Hokydad, Savage is a Virgo with an obsession for strawberry ice cream. He has a nice shot and good leadership skills discovered from when he was Savage's den leader in Cub Scouts when he whittled Hokydad a wooden van made of oak...

Comment

So basically, they "traded" Cody Ferriero for Steve Savage, right? Win for BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                        So basically, they "traded" Cody Ferriero for Steve Savage, right? Win for BC.
                        lol, i guess we can look at it that way ................seeing the glass half full but Mr. Ferriero cost us big time with his roster spot this year. Even without his talents I'm thinking we can still be a good "club" as Coach York likes to say

Comment

lol, i guess we can look at it that way ................seeing the glass half full but Mr. Ferriero cost us big time with his roster spot this year.
                          I don't think Ferriero cost BC anything. First, he was going to be put in a lesser role this year and they'll put Brown in there who will fit the role much better. That's straight up a better fit for this year's club. Second, BC got rid of a dickbag that could be annoying to his teammates and a locker room problem who wasn't going to buy into the program anyway. And third, BC got rid of a guy that has potential problems with taking stupid penalties. For beyond the coming season, BC will fill in that Ferriero player with a potential late-bloomer IMO. Remember, BC's defensive recruiting was barren before they added Wey, Samuelsson, and Alber very late and that worked out well.

This is a win for everyone involved.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I thought Samuelsson was committed at least a year early? (Although I guess that's late by hockey standards.)

Wey was an incredible get for the summer before school.

Anyone know anything about Steve Savage?
                            BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                            -
                            Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                              I thought Samuelsson was committed at least a year early? (Although I guess that's late by hockey standards.)

Wey was an incredible get for the summer before school.

Anyone know anything about Steve Savage?
                              Anyone know if it's pronounced SAV-ij or sah-VAHJ? This is pretty much all I need to know in deciding whether or not I like him.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                              X