Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East Tourney on the Move

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
    Amazing how regionalized you Boston fellas are. You want to grow this sport, spark more interest? If so, you gotta think outside the box. Lets face it, the HE tourney in Boston has gotten stale. HE needs to do something about it. Heres how.

Every other year move the tourney outside of Boston. One year in Portland, then back to Boston, next year in Manchester, back to Boston followed by Providence. How to deal with smaller arenas? Simply raise the price of tickets. The smaller venues will still fill and its much more important for this sport to be played in front of packed houses than a nearly half full Garden. Generate some interest, gd it! What we have now suffices but it doesnt move the sport forward.
    So somehow, by moving the game to Portland, raising ticket prices, raising the travel costs for just about every school except Vermont, UNH, and Maine (with the latter two's fans not having any trouble showing up in numbers in Boston in the past), while playing in a dumpy minor league arena, is going to raise people's interest in the Hockey East Tournament? Did I miss something here?
    Boston College '12
    1949 2001 2008 2010 2012

Comment

The event is already downsized. It has become small time because its essentially a non-event in Boston. I do get into Boston once or twice a year...usually for a Sox game, only because the tickets are free. I do love the crowds and traffic though, the rundown trolley system, and the stench leaving the ballpark and getting into the T station. Makes it all worthwhile. Lol, nah you can have your so-called "world class city", which it is not, by the way, even close to. Those would be cities like Paris, New York, London, San Fran, Sydney, Rome.....but Boston ?? hahaha
      run down trolley system? you kidding me?

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
        While the TD Bank Garden probably is the answer to all of these, there is the possibility that the two statements in bold could be accomplished elsewhere.
        I know that Manchester is smaller than 12K, and I'm pretty sure Providence is, too. So, even if the rinks were packed, it would bring in less money (unless the ice fees were significantly cheaper, or the ticket prices were higher).

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
        Majority of Boston's schools fan you mean.
        How about UVM? I know the Burlington-Orono distance isn't much longer than Burlington-Boston, but it's over crappier roads, and looks like it would take 2-3 hours longer! Brilliant!

I love how you keep advocating moving the tourney because the Boston schools have an advantage, and yet you would move it farther away from UVM. Here's a tip: stick to stumping for Manchester. It's the closest it will ever be to UVM (and no, it's not a "home game" for UNH in pretty much any sense).

Originally posted by BeloBrasil View Post
        Students? Are you kidding? How many Boston College students were at the TD Garden this past spring for the Hockey East Championship?
        Let's also not forget the number of non-student fans that live/work in and around Boston, who go to the Friday games after work. Yes, moving the tourney to Sat/Sun would help, but I'm not sure how much.

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
        It's also negligible for UNH fans, the same distance and availability of the Downeaster. So you're making a change that negatively affects 70% of the teams, makes no difference for 20% of them, and makes it somewhat better for 10%. Your anti-Boston statements continue to get dumber and dumber.
        This is true for the students and fans in the Durham area, but those that live in the Manchester/Concord/Nashua areas don't have easy access to the Downeaster.
        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
        -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
          Your point is ludicrous. Have you noticed how well the Hockey East Champs have done nationally over the last ten years? They won because they were good, NOT because of any building. These teams would have won anywhere. There is no advantage for anyone by having it in Boston.
          Not surprisingly you missed the point yet again. Teams win because they are good, that is correct, but to say there is absolutely zero advantage whatsoever is what is ludicrous. Even Nick admits there is a "very little advantage."

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          Ummmmm... it's a neutral site tournament for all teams, you buffoon.

There is VERY little advantage or disadvantage for the games to be played in this building.
          It is a neutral site for sure, but there certainly is a bit of an advantage by playing there that gives a small advantage. Take for example a freshman coming in and skating on an NHL rink. Probably a little star struck at least for the opening few minutes. Now, whether or not that comes during the beanpot or the first period of the HE playoffs makes a difference. Even if only a small one.

Originally posted by bcfan131 View Post
          Why would a Vermont fan complain about home-ice (or lack thereof) advantage in the Hockey East Tournament?
          I didn't see anyone complaining? I saw a VT fan state a fact that there is an advantage. I think you should re-read what was stated if you think someone was making excuses, because that's not the way I read it at all.

Does the location of the tourney determine who wins and who doesn't, of course not. But it certainly can impact the game, even if only slightly.
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I think that this is one of the funniest thing Bob Driscol has done. The PC AD threw this out there to deflect from the basketball team being thugs. Why would HE want to leave the garden?
            Providence College
            National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

The event is already downsized. It has become small time because its essentially a non-event in Boston. I do get into Boston once or twice a year...usually for a Sox game, only because the tickets are free. I do love the crowds and traffic though, the rundown trolley system, and the stench leaving the ballpark and getting into the T station. Makes it all worthwhile. Lol, nah you can have your so-called "world class city", which it is not, by the way, even close to. Those would be cities like Paris, New York, London, San Fran, Sydney, Rome.....but Boston ?? hahaha
              But they do leave my alternators alone.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Reasons this will not promote HE and not make any more money:
                Luxury Boxes: The Garden has a lot of them. Even if another arena stepped up it would not have as many as the garden and would not make as much money off of them.
                Attendance: Attendance overall would be down. Raising ticket prices at a smaller arena would further lower attendance.
                TV: The equipment is already set up at the garden so it is really no cost to them. If they did it at Worcester or Manchester wherever they would need to pay to set up the cameras to get as good coverage.
                Concessions: No other arena is going to bring in as much in terms of concessions revenue.

Honestly if you want to promote Hockey East you'd be better off having games schedulded at these areans. UNH plays a couple games at Manchester a year. Maine will play a game or two in Portland. BU played a few games at MSG. NU is going to play a game in Hartford. Hell maybe if Providence got their act together they could promote and sell a game at the Providence civic center against BC/BU. Same goes for UMASS they could play one of those two schools in a game at DCU. If the games where promoted right they probably could sell well and that'd be a good way to promote HE with out risking ****ing up the tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                  It is a neutral site for sure, but there certainly is a bit of an advantage by playing there that gives a small advantage. Take for example a freshman coming in and skating on an NHL rink. Probably a little star struck at least for the opening few minutes. Now, whether or not that comes during the beanpot or the first period of the HE playoffs makes a difference. Even if only a small one.
                  So, from this viewpoint, it makes sense to play it in Providence or Manchester, as it would force all the teams who would play in the Semis/Finals to travel. If it's in Providence, everyone north of Boston would have to travel farther, but that's the breaks. And, of course, if it's in Manchester and UNH makes it, some people will whine about them having "an unfair advantage", because they apparently can't handle geography.

Of course, this all completely ignores the attendance, income, and visibility issues, but at least the tourney would be "fair". *waits for Lowell fans to come in and argue that we'd need new refs to really call it fair*
                  Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                  -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                    *waits for Lowell fans to come in and argue that we'd need new refs to really call it fair*
                    I think hosting and having a guaranteed sport in next year's semis is adequate compensation.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      I think hosting and having a guaranteed sport in next year's semis is adequate compensation.
                      And with the upper parts of the sections closed off, it would be a guaranteed sell-out - 4,000 fans!
                      -Fred Shero

Comment

wouldnt it just be easier for vermont to schedule a game at the garden than to whine/complain/beetoch/moan and inconvenience 11 other teams about ridiculous suggestions that would be a detriment to the entire team (including said elephant walkers)?

did HE move this tournament to the garden after vermont voluntarily asked to join HE? was there fraud in the inducement of the contract here? what am i missing?

is this big lebowski? are the nihilists complaining that life isnt fair? the garden really ties the league together. so deal with it!
                        “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                        Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                        Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                        National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                          run down trolley system? you kidding me?
                          Larry's cannabis crop just came in.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                            And, of course, if it's in Manchester and UNH makes it, some people will whine about them having "an unfair advantage", because they apparently can't handle geography.
                            No, it would be "an unfair advantage" for the same reason the Garden is "an unfair advantage" for the Boston teams: UNH plays one or two games there during the season.

And the same goes for Portland where Maine plays a game every season.
                            Last edited by Sean Pickett; 07-31-2010, 10:32 AM.
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

You're right. None of those other cities have traffic or bad areas.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I must be losing my touch. I cant even get any negative rep from the Beanpotters by dumping on their fair city.
                                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X