Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East Tourney on the Move

That's why I put an (I know)

Just using it to compare what attendance would have been like compared to the West Regional held at an NHL venue.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
      What arena would draw the most fans?
      What arena would draw the most media coverage?
      What arena would bring in the most money?
      What arena is in the same city as three HE teams and the same state as three others?
      What arena is in the largest city in New England?
      What arena is in the same city as HE headquarters?
      What arena is one city away from NESN, the network airing the games?
      What arena would be most attractive to recruits?

I really don't see how any sane person can even try to argue that it should be moved.
      While the TD Bank Garden probably is the answer to all of these, there is the possibility that the two statements in bold could be accomplished elsewhere. First of all the cost of running it in Providence or Manchester has to be less expensive than Boston so ticket prices could be a little lower bringing in more fans and more money. If they can accomplish that why not give it a try in todays economic climate. Perhaps the Garden may respond by lowering their fees and Hockey East comes out a winner either way. Hotel rooms in those other locations are cheaper as well so fans travelling for the weekend save that way too. Make it a doubleheader on Saturday and a Sunday afternoon final and it becomes easier for fans to make it also.

Comment

Amazing how regionalized you Boston fellas are. You want to grow this sport, spark more interest? If so, you gotta think outside the box. Lets face it, the HE tourney in Boston has gotten stale. HE needs to do something about it. Heres how.

Every other year move the tourney outside of Boston. One year in Portland, then back to Boston, next year in Manchester, back to Boston followed by Providence. How to deal with smaller arenas? Simply raise the price of tickets. The smaller venues will still fill and its much more important for this sport to be played in front of packed houses than a nearly half full Garden. Generate some interest, gd it! What we have now suffices but it doesnt move the sport forward.
        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
          Make it a doubleheader on Saturday and a Sunday afternoon final and it becomes easier for fans to make it also.

Not possible, NCAA selection committee announces their decision Sunday morning.
          time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
            Every other year move the tourney outside of Boston. One year in Portland, then back to Boston, next year in Manchester, back to Boston followed by Providence. How to deal with smaller arenas? Simply raise the price of tickets. The smaller venues will still fill and its much more important for this sport to be played in front of packed houses than a nearly half full Garden. Generate some interest, gd it! What we have now suffices but it doesnt move the sport forward.
            You're advocating raising interest by raising prices and moving it far away from the majority of fans to a place like Portland with a dumpy arena and makes the conference look ridiculously bad? You can't be that stupid.

Comment

Providence is well known throughout college hockey as a very hospitable venue and most of those who actually go to the games would love to return there......Manchester has not established itself as a to go place for college hockey......Portland is just Portland and not hockey so I believe it is out as is Worchester

Either place would be a good change and the tourney would be a big deal in the chosen city unlike Boston where most of the city could care less if it was there or somewhere else

Hotel cost would be lower, food about the same but the new scenery well worth the change

Comment

Originally posted by BeloBrasil View Post
                If the author is actually serious then I am compelled to inquire as to what color is the sky in this person's world? A chance to interact with "visitors from Europe"? What self-respecting fan of college hockey (at tournament time no less) has the slightest interest in any form of interaction with the hordes of Euro-filth skulking around our streets and taking up space in our restaurants?
                You nitwit. Try to follow the conversation. The conversation went off on a tangent discussing what is and isn't a world-class city and someone did some drugs and then posted that Boston wasn't a world-class city. Boston is a world-class city. That tangent had nothing to do with hockey.
                Originally posted by reBlur
                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                  Not possible, NCAA selection committee announces their decision Sunday morning.
                  Clearly they'd have to wait for the games to be finished and would have to do it after a possible Sunday game.

Doesn't college basketball have some Sunday afternoon games and then Selection Sunday occurs after those on Sunday evening?
                  Originally posted by reBlur
                  the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

You're advocating raising interest by raising prices and moving it far away from the majority of fans
                    Majority of Boston's schools fan you mean.
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                      Clearly they'd have to wait for the games to be finished and would have to do it after a possible Sunday game.

Doesn't college basketball have some Sunday afternoon games and then Selection Sunday occurs after those on Sunday evening?
                      Yep. But moving the selection show to later in the day would mean less of a chance of ESPN making room to cover it. And let's face it, that show is a half hour of the highest degree of unintentional comedy.
                      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

You're advocating raising interest by raising prices and moving it far away from the majority of fans to a place like Portland with a dumpy arena and makes the conference look ridiculously bad? You can't be that stupid.
                        Far away from the majority of fans? Yeah sure, I love seeing those Boston rinks on TV with a handful of people in the stands on NESN. That is impressive. You raise ticket prices to balance the total gate at a smaller venue. Surely that isnt a difficult thing for you to grasp.

Again, HE tourney in Boston is stale...if you want to keep it that way, then leave things as they are and interest in the sport doesnt grow. If you want the opposite then showcase it to different areas, different people, different businesses. Pretty simple concept.
                        Last edited by acs64; 07-30-2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Far away from the majority of fans? Yeah sure, I love seeing those Boston rinks on TV with a handful of people in the stands on NESN. That is impressive. You raise ticket prices to balance the total gate at a smaller venue. Surely that isnt a difficult thing for you to grasp.
                          No, what you're not grasping is that you're assuming that you can make up the difference. You'd essentially have to double the ticket prices in Portland in order to equal the gate in Boston, assuming the attendance is the 12-13k number, not to mention less people = less concessions, less merchandise sold, less parking revenue, etc. You're not factoring in that you'd be moving it to a more economically-strapped region of New England, and raising ticket prices. Business-wise this is 100% foolish.

And Cat Lover, not only are you moving it from the 3 Boston schools, but you're m, you're making lowell fans drive 70 miles more and removing the easy public transportation line that drops them off in the basement of the arena. You're essentially doing the same thing for Merrimack fans also, not that this really matters much. You're making UMass fans drive an extra 80 or so miles and moving it away from their main alumni base. You're moving it farther from PC, but again, doesn't matter that much. It's the same distance for UVM fans, and you have to take back roads the whole way. It's also negligible for UNH fans, the same distance and availability of the Downeaster. So you're making a change that negatively affects 70% of the teams, makes no difference for 20% of them, and makes it somewhat better for 10%. Your anti-Boston statements continue to get dumber and dumber.
                          Last edited by slurpees; 07-30-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

No, what you're not grasping is that you're assuming that you can make up the difference. You'd essentially have to double the ticket prices in Portland in order to equal the gate in Boston, assuming the attendance is the 12-13k number. You're not factoring in that you'd be moving it to a more economically-strapped region of New England, and raising ticket prices. Business-wise this is 100% foolish.

And Cat Lover, not only are you moving it from the 3 Boston schools, but you're m, you're making lowell fans drive 70 miles more and removing the easy public transportation line that drops them off in the basement of the arena. You're essentially doing the same thing for Merrimack fans also, not that this really matters much. You're making UMass fans drive an extra 80 or so miles and moving it away from their main alumni base. You're moving it farther from PC, but again, doesn't matter that much. It's the same distance for UVM fans, and you have to take back roads the whole way. It's also negligible for UNH fans, the same distance and availability of the Downeaster. So you're making a change that negatively affects 70% of the teams, makes no difference for 20% of them, and makes it somewhat better for 10%. Your anti-Boston statements continue to get dumber and dumber.
                            Yep, these folks in Portland are really economically strapped. Who ta phk do you think it was that made that showing in Boston last year? But you're right, if those folks could save the $25 parking fee, the $250 hotel bill and the $100 for meals, they wouldnt be able to shell out 25 bucks more for a ticket. Good thinking.

Comment

Again, HE tourney in Boston is stale...if you want to keep it that way, then leave things as they are and interest in the sport doesnt grow. If you want the opposite then showcase it to different areas, different people, different businesses. Pretty simple concept.
                              Maybe if your team was any good it wouldn't seem so stale. Portland while a decent city is strictly small time, the arena sucks, and you may as well have it in Burlington because its on the outer reaches of the hockey east territory. Not to mention the finances - none of these places would earn the $$$ or exposure that the Garden does. Why downsize the event when you don't have to?

As far as Boston being expensive, that's what happens in places where people actually want to be in. Live a little and have some excitement in the big city once a year.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                Maybe if your team was any good it wouldn't seem so stale. Portland while a decent city is strictly small time, the arena sucks, and you may as well have it in Burlington because its on the outer reaches of the hockey east territory. Not to mention the finances - none of these places would earn the $$$ or exposure that the Garden does. Why downsize the event when you don't have to?

As far as Boston being expensive, that's what happens in places where people actually want to be in. Live a little and have some excitement in the big city once a year.
                                The event is already downsized. It has become small time because its essentially a non-event in Boston. I do get into Boston once or twice a year...usually for a Sox game, only because the tickets are free. I do love the crowds and traffic though, the rundown trolley system, and the stench leaving the ballpark and getting into the T station. Makes it all worthwhile. Lol, nah you can have your so-called "world class city", which it is not, by the way, even close to. Those would be cities like Paris, New York, London, San Fran, Sydney, Rome.....but Boston ?? hahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X