Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East Tourney on the Move

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    if you're playing them, you're going to have all the limp-wristed facepainters from BU screaming for UVM at the top of their lungs
    Limp-wristed?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
      here's the center of HEA:
      Is that simply the average of the outermost colleges, or is it weighted to bring it closer to where there might be a higher concentration of colleges?

Powers &8^]

Comment

42.909558,-71.257252
        click, or punch those coords into google maps.

If you build it.....

r
        Sweet, that's pretty close to my ride home from work!

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
        I laugh every time I hear Boston pols trumpet 'their' city as 'world-class.' These are the people who feel that the world ends at the Weston Toll Booths. Then again, Boston pols don't get out much. Parochialism runs rampant among all of them.
        Even if the comment was made with tongue-in-cheek, what other city local to Hockey East would you rank above Boston? Providence? Manchester? Burlington, VT? Do you think people are going to flock to those places the way they would Boston?

Hey, how about Amherst? They have a bar!
        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
        -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
          Is that simply the average of the outermost colleges, or is it weighted to bring it closer to where there might be a higher concentration of colleges?

Powers &8^]
          It's weighted -- equally though, there's no consideration given to enrollment, arena capacity, dong length, or any other statistics...just location.

Here are the other conferences, just for giggles:

ECAC (very near to Albany)
          42.586284,-73.756950

AHA
          41.827530,-77.969249

CCHA (w/ UA_)
          44.675422,-90.588798
          CCHA (w/o UA_)
          42.658738,-84.871297

WCHA (w/ UAA)
          45.663533,-99.908187
          WCHA (w/o UAA)
          44.250728,-95.365919

r
          Last edited by cetihcra; 07-29-2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

ECAC (very near to Albany)
            42.586284,-73.756950
            They couldn't put it in the Hudson, so they moved to AC instead?
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
              Limp-wristed?
              I take it you haven't run into the BU fanboys in your travels lately?
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                Given the hits the Providence College AD has taken over the past several months due to the stupid actions of his basketball players, I suspect this article was nothing more than his spin to appease whatever remaining season ticket holders he has on the bouncyball side. I'm sure he hopes the lure of an NCAA bouncyball tourney can make the fans forget the lousy program he is running.

The hockey aspect of the article is likely mere fill. PC, which has successfully handled NCAA and HEA tourneys in the past absolutetly mishandled the last NCAA hockey tourney there and it seemed there was no appetite around that program to do it again.

I suspect this is much ado about nothing.

All that being said, Providence, the city, does thow a great party for whatever tournament is in town.
                That was my read on the situation.

Let's see, a HE weekend a mere 30 minute ride on the Orange line? Or having to hop into the car and drive an hour or more to the Dunk?

Since I haven't been to a HE weekend in four years, I suppose it doesn't matter.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Well, then.

Manchvegas it is.

*****http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6590/96289324.jpg******
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                    Saying the Boston teams win only because they have experience on Causeway Street is laughable at best. .
                    Where did I say they only won because its in Boston?

Nowhere!

I did say they get more fans because its there, but not they only won because its there.

I also said they get an ADVANTAGE and you can say what you want but its there. Why does every sports team in every sport work so hard all year to get homefield advantage for the playoffs?

Because it increases the chances of winning?

I can agree that the Garden is great for the image of the league and brings in some $$$, but that was not my point. Is the Garden good for the league...Sure it is. Is it a fair an equal for all 10 teams to play there each year..I still say no.
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

BC's home ice is Conte Forum, not the Garden. Also, how much of a home ice advantage did the team that actually plays there have in their hockey season?

Finally, did you see the number of Maine fans at last year's HE title game?

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                        Where did I say they only won because its in Boston?

Nowhere!

I did say they get more fans because its there, but not they only won because its there.

I also said they get an ADVANTAGE and you can say what you want but its there. Why does every sports team in every sport work so hard all year to get homefield advantage for the playoffs?

I can agree that the Garden is great for the image of the league and brings in some $$$, but that was not my point. Is the Garden good for the league...Sure it is. Is it a fair an equal for all 10 teams to play there each year..I still say no.
                        Your point is ludicrous. Have you noticed how well the Hockey East Champs have done nationally over the last ten years? They won because they were good, NOT because of any building. These teams would have won anywhere. There is no advantage for anyone by having it in Boston.

2000 - Maine (Frozen Four appearance)
                        2001 - BC (National Champion)
                        2002 - UNH (Frozen Four appearance)
                        2003 - UNH (National Runner Up)
                        2004 - Maine (National Runner Up)
                        2005 - BC (NCAA Quarterfinals)
                        2006 - BU (NCAA Quarterfinals)
                        2007 - BC (National Runner Up)
                        2008 - BC (National Champion)
                        2009 - BU (National Champion)
                        2010 - BC (National Champion)

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post

Ummmmm... it's a neutral site tournament for all teams, you buffoon. Much different than playing all year for home advantage in the playoffs of the NHL, NBA, and NFL (prior to the super bowl, also held at a neutral site!), and MLB.

There is VERY little advantage or disadvantage for the games to be played in this building. The best teams usually win this tournament, if you haven't noticed and it has nothing to do with the "advantages" of being so close to home, sleeping in their own beds, and having their fans there to cheer.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

It is better for the league to play it at the Garden period. The attendance numbers alone justify keeping it there along with the extra revenue. Do Providence, Manchester, or DCU even have luxury boxes? The ones at the Garden that do sell for Hockey Easy probably bring in some good revenue for the league.

Comment

Tournament to be held outdoors at UVM football stadium...

oh wait

nevermind

Comment

Why would a Vermont fan complain about home-ice (or lack thereof) advantage in the Hockey East Tournament? They lost to Lowell on home-ice in the Quarters in '09 and beat UNH on the road in the Quarters in '10. And even going back to '08, they beat BU at the Garden. Doesn't seem like location of the games really played a huge factor for them. Just sounds like you're making excuses to me. Not to mention, Hockey East teams probably have to do the least amount of traveling in-conference in college hockey. Just imagine being a fan of one of the Alaska schools, or Air Force in the AHA. Even the schools that are considered close to each other in other conferences typically aren't as close to each other in terms of distance as the Hockey East schools are.
                                Boston College '12
                                1949 2001 2008 2010 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X