No announcement yet.

The ECAC Championships are moving...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The ECAC Championships are moving...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    As a former resident of Bergenfield (the next town north) I can heartily testify the the Teaneck Armory is still standing and was the orginal home of the New Jersey Americans (now Nets). The fact that a number of Americans games were postponed/forfeited due to a leaky roof that warped the floor should be immaterial to the merits of the Northern
    NJ,

Now, an arena that WOULD fit the ECAC would be the South Mountain Arena located in East Orange(?). Just off the interstate and past Seton Hall Prep, the SMA has been host of the NJ State High School championships and other important events in its long and illustrious history.

Each seat is a real seat, not a bleacher, so you can relax in comfort as you enjoy the finest hockey in the Garden State.
    Ever been to the Cedar Lane Grille?
    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
      South Mountain (now Richard J. Codey Arena) is in West Orange. It's nice enough after the recent renovation, but it only seats 2,500; decent for regular games for a team that doesn't have many fans, I guess, but not big enough for any kind of a major tournament. And no, there's really not much around. (Trust me, I grew up like five minutes from there.)
      So if SMA holds 2,500, it would actually look CROWDED for an ECAC playoff game??

Edit: Have a suggestion to liven up things -- get one of the ring girls to come out with a placard right after the zam break to show us what period we're in.
      Last edited by joecct; 10-02-2009, 09:45 AM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if I'm reiterating what others have said.

The thing that bugs me about this decision is that it benefits ONE and only one team's fans: Princeton. I believe (without taking the time to look up the exact mileage) that Atlantic City is further from every other school than Albany is. I can't really see the logic behind this. Sure, there's more entertainment in AC, but you go to a hockey tournament to watch hockey, not to get drunk, eat at fancy restaurants, and gamble to your heart's desire. Albany was a little bland, so I was definitely in favor of moving the weekend to a more exciting and attractive city, but this is just a terrible selection based on geography, fan demographics, and probably in terms of revenue for the ECAC (I doubt they'll be able to get such a good draw that they make more of a profit than in Albany). To me, Lake Placid, Albany, Boston, Bridgeport, NYC, Manchester, Hartford, Providence, Worcester, Springfield, etc. all make more sense. Hell, I'd rather see it in Lowell at the crappy arena UML calls home. This makes absolutely zero sense to me, unless the league is banking on the assumption that everybody likes gambling, and will therefore be attracted to a place like AC.

Comment

If you go more than one block from the "strip" where the rink is brink your Ouzzi.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Just heard about this via the weekly ECAC newsletter.

One thing that has not been said is this could have a fringe benefit to students and young alumni. A weekend in Albany supporting your College Hockey team? Nice. A weekend of supporting your College Hockey team in Atlantic City with gambling, shows and everything else the town has to offer? Sounds a lot more appealing as a recent grad.

I'll agree w/ most here that it is far out of the way for a number of traditionally successful North Country schools but I think your fervent support actually hurt you guys here. I'd imagine those in charge counted in your support whereever the event was held. This move seemed to be designed to integrate more fringe supporters and encourage them to make a weekend out of the event. And for that, Atlantic City was always going to be a better option than Albany.

Full disclosure: I live in Philadelphia and I'm stoked at the shorter commute and cool looking venue.

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn57 View Post
              Just heard about this via the weekly ECAC newsletter.

One thing that has not been said is this could have a fringe benefit to students and young alumni. A weekend in Albany supporting your College Hockey team? Nice. A weekend of supporting your College Hockey team in Atlantic City with gambling, shows and everything else the town has to offer? Sounds a lot more appealing as a recent grad.

I'll agree w/ most here that it is far out of the way for a number of traditionally successful North Country schools but I think your fervent support actually hurt you guys here. I'd imagine those in charge counted in your support whereever the event was held. This move seemed to be designed to integrate more fringe supporters and encourage them to make a weekend out of the event. And for that, Atlantic City was always going to be a better option than Albany.

Full disclosure: I live in Philadelphia and I'm stoked at the shorter commute and cool looking venue.
              You are probably right about the North Country, Cornell and RPI fans being taken a bit for granted. They travel well. Any place bu Placid has to be a weekend for Clarkson and SLU, except for those that only go some to day two.

The idea about appealing to more ringe supporters and NYC alum are both secondary benefits. The only reason the league chose Atlantic City is because AC offered a lot more money than any other city. Congratulations to AC. They have the A-10 Hoops and now ECAC Hockey. it appears as though bringing in big events like this to that facility is a major part of their marketing plan.

As far as moving the ECAC to Worcester, Springfield, Bridgeport and some of the other cities mentioned. Get a grip. Those three offer less to do than Albany and are longer drives for most of the league, especially the teams that actually bring some fans.

At least AC is a bit of a destination, like Placid and Boston. I say, give it a chance. The ECAC gets some extra cash, that I hope they put back into promoting the league, and AC might actually be fun. Try it; you might like it.

Comment

Working...
              X