Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Congrats to the Union hockey staff, players and fans. What an excellent weekend of hockey. Good luck in Albany!!!
    Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by aweise View Post
      Rand Pecknold wasn't happy, either. He was giving Wahl & Hicks more than an earful after the post-game handshake. It was strange to me that Q didn't have any power plays all night. I do remember a handful of moments where I expected a penalty call on Union, but it never came.

As for the atmosphere, you could feel the pressure release as soon as the buzzer sounded...but I've never been amongst a group of Union fans so happy and thrilled. Congrats to the players and the coaches!
      The refs let a lot go, including a couple of blatant cases of Q players holding a U player's stick, and an outright tackle by a Q player (I guess they do not need a football team afterall!). If the game had been called tightly, Pecknold would have had a lot more to be upset about. Perhaps he is just frustrated that to date, no coach in the ECAC has been given so much to work with and done so little with it.

Comment

Originally posted by DMA View Post
        The refs let a lot go, including a couple of blatant cases of Q players holding a U player's stick, and an outright tackle by a Q player (I guess they do not need a football team afterall!). If the game had been called tightly, Pecknold would have had a lot more to be upset about. Perhaps he is just frustrated that to date, no coach in the ECAC has been given so much to work with and done so little with it.
        More than Harvard?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.
          LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by DMA View Post
            I think last night's game was more a case of letting them play than anything else. The deciding game of a playoff series shouldn't be decided by the refs and they know that. I don't remember too many instances where the potential infraction either prevented or caused a quality scoring chance, but the "let them play" theory really shouldn't stop the refs from calling penalties that are legitimate penalties.
            Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
              Good luck in Albany!

I will be on my way to Minnesota at 4:30pm when work gets over. I'm highly doubting the games will be on any sports network?
              I think i saw somewhere that it was gonna be on the NHL network may be wrong though

Comment

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/1...hedules_tv.htm

There ya go! ECAC semifinals on the NHL Network

Comment

Don't ask me how, but I somehow ended up with an extra ticket for Friday - in the Union section (103, row F). If anyone wants it, feel free to contact me directly (aweise@nycap.rr.com).
                  Union Hockey

Comment

Congratulations to Nate Leaman on a much deserved Coach of the Year win. There was no doubt in my mind he was the only real candidate for the award.
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                      Congratulations to Nate Leaman on a much deserved Coach of the Year win. There was no doubt in my mind he was the only real candidate for the award.
                      Agreed! I'm thrilled that Coach Leaman was able to take home the COTY award this season. It couldn't have gone to a more classy, well-deserving coach.

Comment

Also, the students at Union today got an email today saying this:

With the support of our outstanding student section, Union Hockey is advancing to their first-ever ECAC Hockey Championship weekend this Friday and Saturday.

Union students will have the opportunity to travel to Albany to watch the Dutchmen compete at the Times Union Center. While the spring break period begins this week, Union Athletics is offering transportation and a free ticket for the first 100 students to sign up. Save your spot NOW at the Union Athletics ticket office located in Alumni Gymnasium.
                        So, despite it being spring break, I really hope that at least 100 students care enough to go to the games in Albany.

Comment

congratulations to coach leaman on COTY award....

as a side note MVT got knocked out of player or the year running....the 3 finalists are...1) chase polacek- rpi 2) ben scrivens- cornell anddddddddddd
                          3) Mr Backman - yale....

no offense to first two but give me a break....
                          MVT came in 2nd in scoring.....set single season team points record....career goals....goals for a year.....voters winner for hobey....and once again he gets overlooked.....sighs....lets hope justice is served this weekend.....GO U!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by unionbob View Post
                            congratulations to coach leaman on COTY award....

as a side note MVT got knocked out of player or the year running....the 3 finalists are...1) chase polacek- rpi 2) ben scrivens- cornell anddddddddddd
                            3) Mr Backman - yale....

no offense to first two but give me a break....
                            MVT came in 2nd in scoring.....set single season team points record....career goals....goals for a year.....voters winner for hobey....and once again he gets overlooked.....sighs....lets hope justice is served this weekend.....GO U!!!!!
                            I had a feeling we'd see this once Backman was named to the first team over MVT. I also have no problems with Polacek and Scrivens being on that list. I wonder who determines these finalists - is it the coaches and/or media? We can re-hash MVT's snub over & over, but it won't change anything. The more important goal is to win the next two games.

And a hearty congrats to Nate Leaman!! RC said it - there really wasn't another choice.
                            Union Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                              And a hearty congrats to Nate Leaman!! RC said it - there really wasn't another choice.
                              I understand why people feel Leaman was clearly the best choice. But I don't think he was the only possible choice: Joe Marsh was a credible candidate as well, and he's a popular guy whose abilities people like to recognize.

And of course to the extent I'm right about that, it makes Leaman's selection that much more impressive. He deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                                I understand why people feel Leaman was clearly the best choice. But I don't think he was the only possible choice: Joe Marsh was a credible candidate as well, and he's a popular guy whose abilities people like to recognize.

And of course to the extent I'm right about that, it makes Leaman's selection that much more impressive. He deserves it.
                                I also believe Leaman was a deserving candidate but can't disagree that Coach Marsh deserved consideration. He is class all the way.

As far as Player of the Year, I'd go with Polacek. He was downright scary this season, at least against Union, and judging by his stats, some other teams as well. My friend is familiar with his landlord who says all this kid does is play hockey, work out and study.

Comment

Working...
                                X