Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Union played a much improved game Saturday night.
    On Friday, after the first half of the first period, Quinn was blocking the majority of shots because all the Union players were waiting too long to put the puck on net. They fixed that tonight!
    They are starting to do a little more after they get control of the puck along the boards. It was frustrating Friday night, cause they would get the puck, and stand there waiting for Quinn to check them. If they kept control of the puck, they just cycled the puck, but didn't make anything positive happen except killing time. And when they would try wrapping around the net, they'd lose the puck off their sticks or get to stolen away.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
      Union played a much improved game Saturday night.
      On Friday, after the first half of the first period, Quinn was blocking the majority of shots because all the Union players were waiting too long to put the puck on net. They fixed that tonight!
      They are starting to do a little more after they get control of the puck along the boards. It was frustrating Friday night, cause they would get the puck, and stand there waiting for Quinn to check them. If they kept control of the puck, they just cycled the puck, but didn't make anything positive happen except killing time. And when they would try wrapping around the net, they'd lose the puck off their sticks or get to stolen away.
      Good points...it was clear to see early on that Union was able to finally beat Q's forecheck. They were getting some odd-man rushes, but more importantly, they were able to complete their passes and create more scoring chances. Good adjustments by the coaches and the players.

The waved-off goal and subsequent Union PP goal was huge. I wasn't too concerned if the goal stood up, since Union usually seems to give up the first goal a lot. Nevertheless, it was a huge momentum swing that got everyone into the game.

Union might have the advantage tonight - Quinnipiac did play 3 games last weekend and they've played almost 4 games already this weekend. I wonder how much the fatigue factor will come into play as the game gets into the 3rd period. No matter what, Union needs to play the same way tonight. Both teams' seasons are on the line, so we should see a superhuman effort from both teams.
      Last edited by aweise; 03-14-2010, 09:00 AM.
      Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Much better game last night. I have to give credit to Corey, who played a great game and made a few spectacular saves. I sat with Prezs father last night, so it was pretty cool to have his son score two huge goals. I'm not sure who will start tonight. Any Ideas?

I had to do some maneuvering to get out of work tonight, but I did. This is potentially the biggest game in the history of this hockey program, and I wouldn't miss it for anything. We have to make sure the place is loud tonight, and give the boys a true home ice advantage. This one is there for the taking and we have to wrap it up.

Go U!

Comment

Originally posted by unionbob View Post
          after the game in the car listening to the wrap up and interviewing coach Bennett and the radio station cuts them off
          hope this gets fixed before next year....Matt and Brian do a great job and deserve support from the school
          Ditto. Union fans and the broadcast team really deserve a better outlet for listening to the games than is afforded by WRUC which does not have either the signal strength or technical production capabilities that are necessary. A few years ago the games were broadcast commercially (WTMM?). Maybe there's a chance of having another station pick up the broadcasts especially if the team continues to make strides on the ice. U football has commercial radio coverage, why not hockey? I don't know how these things really work but I assume it comes down to dollars and cents so hopefully there is a potential sponsor or two out there that could take up the cause.

Comment

man the whole ecac body will be rooting for u too put seats in albany next weekend
            I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
              man the whole ecac body will be rooting for u too put seats in albany next weekend
              Except for a certain contingent from Hamden!
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
              Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                Put seats in Albany next weekend? You mean fans in seats, or just seats?
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Speaking of which, if Union gets a win tonight, how many fans do you anticipate they'll add to the normal attendance of the ECAC semis in Albany? 1,000? 2,000? Do a lot of students plan on attending?

I feel like the ECAC tournament always gets lowballed with attendance and having a local team in it (for the first time since its been in Albany) will provide substantial help.

I sure plan on attending regardless. Let me know! Go Union!!!

Comment

Originally posted by soxrok3 View Post
                    Speaking of which, if Union gets a win tonight, how many fans do you anticipate they'll add to the normal attendance of the ECAC semis in Albany? 1,000? 2,000? Do a lot of students plan on attending?

I feel like the ECAC tournament always gets lowballed with attendance and having a local team in it (for the first time since its been in Albany) will provide substantial help.

I sure plan on attending regardless. Let me know! Go Union!!!
                    I can't speak for the general public, but I do like to think that I generally have a pretty good idea about student attendance. Unfortunately, the last day for final exams in on March 18th, and then all of the students go on spring break. In fact, March 19th is actually the day that students must leave their dorm rooms. As you know, March 19th is also the first day of the ECAC tournament.

I really don't expect a huge student contingent other than a small pack of diehard fans. I'm hoping the school runs some sort of promotion either letting students stay on campus past March 19th or providing bus service to the game or something like that but that obviously has not been announced yet. Then again, out of the average of 2,000 fans that have come to the 2 games against Quinnipiac, I'd say that only 300-350 have been students.

All of that being said, the focus right now is ONLY on Quinnipiac tonight and I'm really hoping for a big student turnout despite that fact that finals week starts tomorrow. Albany, despite being less than 20 miles away from Union, is still a long way away.
                    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Thank you for your in depth analysis. I know Cornell always has a large contingent of fans when they're in Albany. It would be very embarrassing if Union made it to Albany and could not get more fans to attend than Cornell.

I'm hoping, and based on your analysis of the fans at the recent Union home games, that finals being over on the 18th has little effect on attendance for Union.

I hope they can provide more than 2,000 fans for their games in the Times Union Center.

Any other thoughts!?

Comment

Originally posted by soxrok3 View Post
                        Thank you for your in depth analysis. I know Cornell always has a large contingent of fans when they're in Albany. It would be very embarrassing if Union made it to Albany and could not get more fans to attend than Cornell.

I'm hoping, and based on your analysis of the fans at the recent Union home games, that finals being over on the 18th has little effect on attendance for Union.

I hope they can provide more than 2,000 fans for their games in the Times Union Center.

Any other thoughts!?
                        I'd rather wait to see if Union actually gets there first. There's still one game to go.
                        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Right on, aweise. Forgive me for getting ahead of myself! You're the boss!! Go Union!!!!!!

Comment

Anyone know if Time Warner is carrying game three tonight? I watched the game last night, I was hoping they'll add game three

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
                              Anyone know if Time Warner is carrying game three tonight? I watched the game last night, I was hoping they'll add game three
                              No TV.

Comment

I, along with the rest of the SCSU faithful will be pulling for you guys tonight. Go get 'em and above all else: stay a TUC. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X