Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Towards the end of last night's game, I started wondering if the old playoff system was better (first three points). Any thoughts?
    Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
      Towards the end of last night's game, I started wondering if the old playoff system was better (first three points). Any thoughts?
      I can see pluses and minuses. Based on Union's 1-7 record in playoff OT games, I guess I could see it. On the other hand in the Clarkson series that went 3 OTs they might still be playing. Maybe only the league championship game should go all the way to the end. Or what about 4 on 4 if no winner after one OT or something similar? These are all variations on a theme but I think they should be considered. Letting these kids play for hours on end can't help either team in the long run.

Comment

I guess the way I envision it is leave the "play until you drop" game for the 3rd one of the series. The first two could end in a tie with each team getting one point. I cannot imagine what tonight's game will be like if that also goes into overtime like the Clarkson series did. The players will be crawling off the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
          I guess the way I envision it is leave the "play until you drop" game for the 3rd one of the series. The first two could end in a tie with each team getting one point. I cannot imagine what tonight's game will be like if that also goes into overtime like the Clarkson series did. The players will be crawling off the ice.
          With the Clarkson series, those games only went to 1 OT (which is child's play to Union, apparently), so I didn't think that was so bad on the players.

I never liked the first to three points format and I don't see a reason to go back to it. I just think a team has to win games to advance in the playoffs.

I haven't looked at the stats since the format went to best-of-3, but I can't imagine there have been so many long-overtime games that would warrant a change in the playoff format. Hockey should be played until someone scores. It just happened to be a freak of nature that Union played two of these ridiculously long games within 4 years.
          Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Dear Lord, please keep the continuous OT format, and don't switch to anything resembling a shootout. It's bad enough that the consolation has a shootout after 1 OT (only to determine 3rd, its officially a tie at that point), which likely cost SLU a possible bid last year.

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
              Quinnipiac took a penalty late in the 4th OT and I almost reminded my neighbor (achillesrink-3-7-5) of the last time Union had a PP in a 5th OT.
              We all know that until last night, no 8th period power play chance had ever ended except by a shorthanded goal. In this game, Union successfully killed off a 12-second Quinnipiac power play early in the 8th.

Comment

Just wanted to butt in and wish you luck in the next two games. I've been a closet Union fan ever since I saw you guys in the Shillelagh Tourney last year. Listened last night...and this morning. Tell your boys to load up on the Pedialyte and get it done in regulation.
                "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  I don't know who your Play by Play guy is, but if any of you can pass it on, there have been numerous comments in the score updates thread about his great job tonight so far. One of the best PbP guys I've been able to listen to.
                  Bill Schweizer is our PxP guy on 'QUN -- he used to work for CBS Radio, he's done Olympics, been a baseball broadcaster, did Villanova basketball the year they won the national championship... he's fantastic. Also teaches some classes at QU that are must-take classes for journalism students.

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                    Don't know if I'd go so far as to say "terrible" loss, but it's certainly pretty darn disappointing. Outside of the second period, Union controlled the play a lot and had plenty of chances. They just didn't convert...sound familiar, anyone?

As the night (and morning) wore on, I was more impressed with the players on both teams. Nobody wanted to lose that game and it showed with players diving to block shots and continued effort despite being completely gassed by the 4th OT.

I actually thought Union would eventually score. Even though there's the old concern about losing the game on that one chance the other way, Union was getting plenty of scoring opportunities and I figured it would just be a matter of time.
                    It was terrible in the sense that it was such a hard-fought game and we had so many opportunities that were not capitalized on. I haven't talked to any of the players after last night but I can't imagine how they must feel right now.

It was a battle (or a war). When Union went on the PP late in the 4th OT, I also said to my neighbor that I hope it's not the Yale game all over again.

I found it pretty amazing the way the student section (section Q) started getting more and more full as the overtimes went on. By the time the 5th overtime started, it might have been more crowded than it was at the start of the game. I'm happy to see that there were a good number of people there from start to finish, including President Ainlay and Frank Messa!

Anyway, I'm heading back to the rink in a little bit. Hoping we can send this series to 3rd and deciding game. LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA!
                    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

I feel really bad for you guys...that is a game that is really tough to lose. I can't imagine coming back and playing again tonight.

Really hope Union can find a way to get it done and, at least extend the series to a deciding fifth, I mean, third game!

I'll be rooting for you guys tonight!
                      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Great game tonight...Really nice to see Union rebound after last night/this morning. I thought the review and then the calling off of the first goal scoring by Quinnipiac really set the tone for the game. After they called it off, Union went on the power play and scored soon after that.

I don't have time to give a detailed analysis because I'm heading out but I'm thrilled to see this going to game 3 tomorrow! Win and we're in the ECAC Final Four for the first time in school history. Lose and the season is over. No matter what though, this will be my last time watching a game at Messa as a student and the hockey seniors' last time playing at home as well. Hopefully the game will sell out and we can give this team the respect they deserve.
                        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

great game tonight....lets hope for same tomorrow....and zyankrules...what made u think he was talking about Q play announcer?....he did come to the union site to ask......

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Absolutely awesome how they bounced back with a W after last night's marathon.

Comment

after the game in the car listening to the wrap up and interviewing coach Bennett and the radio station cuts them off
                              hope this gets fixed before next year....Matt and Brian do a great job and deserve support from the school

Comment

Things seemed to fall into place after last night's epic loss. Huge tribute to this team's character that they brought a great effort under challenging circumstances.

Also what a break to have TW broadcast on hand this evening to provide the critical replay video reversing the Qpac goal. The turnaround was dramatic as the ensuing PP goal led to what was in essence a 2 goal swing. I think that we may have been a little fortunate on the call leading to that penalty as well, but Qpac gets away with a lot of chippy play, particularly from the lumber swinging Clarke, so we'll take it.

Union moved the puck much better tonight particularly through the neutral zone. The coaching staff also made the right calls getting fresh troops and Pallos' play in particular was key. Milan after shaking off some rust early made some spectacular stops including a balletic toe kick save in the second period that was huge. Who gets the call tomorrow?

Plenty of credit to go around but I hope Julseth White's play gets some recognition. He was solid tonight and made a great outlet pass to Prez leading to his breakaway goal.

It looks like U may have found Clarke's sweet spot as Cain and Prez both went 5 hole.

One win needed and it's in our place so no excuses. Bring it tomorrow U!

Comment

Working...
                                X