Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Since I'm bored and I should be writing a paper, I figured I'd write up all of the possible scenarios in round one:

Scenario Number One: (No upsets)
    #5 St. Lawrence beats #12 Clarkson
    #6 RPI beats #11 Brown
    #7 Quinnipiac beats #10 Dartmouth
    #8 Princeton beats #9 Harvard
    Union would play RPI. Yale would play Princeton. Cornell would play Quinnipiac. Colgate would play St. Lawrence.

Scenario Number Two: (One upset)
    #6 RPI beats #11 Brown
    #9 Harvard beats #8 Princeton
    Union would play RPI. Yale would play Harvard. Cornell would play Quinnipiac. Colgate would play St. Lawrence.

Scenario Number Three: (One upset)
    #6 RPI beats #11 Brown
    #10 Dartmouth beats #7 Quinnipiac
    Union would play RPI. Yale would play Dartmouth. Cornell would play Princeton. Colgate would play St. Lawrence.

Scenario Number Four: (One upset)
    #11 Brown beats #6 RPI
    Union would play Quinnipiac. Yale would play Brown. Cornell would play Princeton. Colgate would play St. Lawrence.

Scenario Number Five: (One upset)
    #12 Clarkson beats #5 St. Lawrence
    #6 RPI beats #11 Brown
    Union would play Quinnipiac. Yale would play Clarkson. Cornell would play Princeton. Colgate would play RPI.

Scenario Number Six: (Two upsets)
    #6 RPI beats #11 Brown
    Union would play RPI. Yale would play Dartmouth. Cornell would play Harvard. Colgate would play St. Lawrence.

Scenario Number Six: (Two upsets)
    #11 Brown beats #6 RPI
    Union would play Quinnipiac. Yale would play Brown. Cornell would play Harvard. Colgate would play St. Lawrence.

Scenario Number Seven: (Two upsets)
    #6 RPI beats #11 Brown
    Union would play Quinnipiac. Yale would play Clarkson. Cornell would play Harvard. Colgate would play RPI.

Scenario Number Eight: (Two upsets)
    #11 Brown beats #6 RPI
    Union would play Princeton. Yale would play Brown. Cornell would play Dartmouth. Colgate would play St. Lawrence.

Scenario Number Nine: (Two upsets)
    #6 RPI beats #11 Brown
    Union would play Princeton. Yale would play Clarkson. Cornell would play Dartmouth. Colgate would play RPI.

Scenario Number Ten: (Two upsets)
    #11 Brown beats #6 RPI
    Union would play Princeton. Yale would play Clarkson. Cornell would play Brown. Colgate would play Quinnipiac.

Scenario Number Eleven: (Three upsets)
    #11 Brown beats #6 RPI
    Union would play Harvard. Yale would play Brown. Cornell would play Dartmouth. Colgate would play St. Lawrence.

Scenario Number Twelve: (Three upsets)
    #6 RPI beats #11 Brown
    Union would play Harvard. Yale would play Clarkson. Cornell would play Dartmouth. Colgate would play RPI.

Scenario Number Thirteen: (Three upsets)
    #11 Brown beats #6 RPI
    Union would play Harvard. Yale would play Clarkson. Cornell would play Brown. Colgate would play Quinnipiac.

Scenario Number Fourteen: (Three upsets)
    #11 Brown beats #6 RPI
    Union would play Dartmouth. Yale would play Clarkson. Cornell would play Brown. Colgate would play Princeton.

Scenario Number Fifteen: (Four upsets)
    #11 Brown beats #6 RPI
    #9 Harvard beats # 8 Princeton
    Union would play Dartmouth. Yale would play Clarkson. Cornell would play Brown. Colgate would play Harvard.

To sum up:

It is most likely that Union will play RPI. It is second most likely that Union will play Quinnipiac. It is third most likely that Union will play Princeton. It is fourth most likely that Union will play Harvard. It is fifth most likely that Union will play Dartmouth.

Union cannot play Clarkson, Brown, or St. Lawrence.

If I missed anything (I probably did), please let me know and I will fix my post.
    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Looks like that tuition is paying off, UHM.

This is the situation that I feared the most - more potential games vs RPI. Not that I don't have confidence that Union can win 2 out of 3, but 4 close games against them already this year (two of which went to OT) has put enough strain on my blood pressure. Even if they do play RPI in the QFs, at least we'll be guaranteed an Albany-area team in Albany.

That said, there are still 4 playoff series to be played and you never know what will happen. In order for Union not to play RPI, either they or SLU will have to lose their respective series. Considering Clarkson is SLU's opponent and RPI hasn't exactly had the easiest of times with Brown, I wouldn't yet take it to the bank that these upsets won't happen....this is the ECAC, after all.
      Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

I'd probably be more worried about Saturday's result if:
        A) the game meant anything
        B) I had any delusions that Union would win a game at Starr in my lifetime..

I don't think the break will hurt much and hopefully will allow Coburn time to get in shape to return. To me it doesn't matter who U meets next because it's going to be a war regardless. My preference would be to not see RPI because their proximity kinda minimizes the home ice advantage - I like the idea of the visiting team staying in a hotel out of their comfort zone - but I'm not sure I see Clarkson & Brown pulling upsets. And if U does get to Albany, there is no doubt they will have to go thru Cornell & Yale.. which is how it should be.

As for the "state of the team", they pretty much are what they looked to be back in October; a very good set of forwards, a d-corps that makes occasional mental mistakes and slightly above average goaltending. The occasional problems on D and in net have to do with younger, less experienced players at those positions. It would be nice to think that they will suddenly figure it all out in the next couple weeks, but reality is that likely won't happen. The good news to me is that most of the mistakes being made are mental and not players getting physically beat. This tells me that the skill level is there and that U will have a chance in pretty much any game it plays ..though Yale does scare me a bit. In the end, the offense is going to have to produce enough to give a U a chance to absorb an occasional defensive lapse.
        Last edited by ADK11; 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM.
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Without a Peer has an update coming tomorrow that we think Union fans will appreciate. Stay tuned.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            Without a Peer has an update coming tomorrow that we think Union fans will appreciate. Stay tuned.
            !!!

There has somehow been a mistake and we're actually #5 in the PWR?

Comment

One positive note if we end up playing RPI in the playoffs: Messa would absolutely be ROCKIN'. Just think about the game there on January 16th. Then multiply that atmosphere by 2 or 3. It would be amazing. I'd still probably rather play Quinny though, despite their recent upset of Yale.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                One positive note if we end up playing RPI in the playoffs: Messa would absolutely be ROCKIN'. Just think about the game there on January 16th. Then multiply that atmosphere by 2 or 3. It would be amazing. I'd still probably rather play Quinny though, despite their recent upset of Yale.
                Not only that, it would guarantee a capital district team in Albany. Only one, though.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Not only that, it would guarantee a capital district team in Albany. Only one, though.
                  It's one more than there has been before.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    This would be pretty much the justice us pro-Albany fans are looking for, but I'm hoping the stars align a bit to allow Clarkson to upset SLU, leaving open the chance to have RPI and Union show up in downtown Albany. It would only be fitting to stick it in the ECAC's face that way.

[/bitter rant]
                    Union Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                      This would be pretty much the justice us pro-Albany fans are looking for, but I'm hoping the stars align a bit to allow Clarkson to upset SLU, leaving open the chance to have RPI and Union show up in downtown Albany. It would only be fitting to stick it in the ECAC's face that way.

[/bitter rant]
                      While the other 10 schools would get to sit back and laugh because attendance still wasn't above 6,000 - we'd all be winners!
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        While the other 10 schools would get to sit back and laugh because attendance still wasn't above 6,000 - we'd all be winners!

Are you kidding? Wake up. If RPI & Union are there you are looking at 10,000 minimum. The one NCAA game RPI has managed to get to in Albany drew almost 12,000. RPI travels well wherever they go so I dont know where you get under 6,000 from unless you are trying to be a total *****.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                          Are you kidding? Wake up. If RPI & Union are there you are looking at 10,000 minimum. The one NCAA game RPI has managed to get to in Albany drew almost 12,000. RPI travels well wherever they go so I dont know where you get under 6,000 from unless you are trying to be a total *****.
                          Well, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that I'm just being a jerk, but a 6-team regional 16 years ago that included BU, UNH, and Wisconsin? Forgive me if I'm a little skeptical of the predictive power of that particular data point.

I think there are two recent data points that are rather more telling: 2520 and 2740. So I guess RPI travels well everywhere except to Houston Fieldhouse? And those are for games that one of the involved schools considers a big rivalry and were scheduled months in advance. On a week's notice, there's just no chance that the ECACs get 10k - not even if it were RPI, Union, Cornell, and Clarkson.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Well, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that I'm just being a jerk, but a 6-team regional 16 years ago that included BU, UNH, and Wisconsin? Forgive me if I'm a little skeptical of the predictive power of that particular data point.

I think there are two recent data points that are rather more telling: 2520 and 2740. So I guess RPI travels well everywhere except to Houston Fieldhouse? And those are for games that one of the involved schools considers a big rivalry and were scheduled months in advance. On a week's notice, there's just no chance that the ECACs get 10k - not even if it were RPI, Union, Cornell, and Clarkson.
                            I'll apologize and take the blame for unintentionally turning this into an "ECACs do not belong in Albany" thread, but I think when a championship is involved and Union, RPI, Cornell, and Clarkson are there, I'd venture to guess that a few more than 6,000 people will show up. Again, we don't have a history of Union crowds, but we do of the other three.

Back to the subject at hand, I don't want to see RPI come to Schenectady to (a) "minimize" the home ice advantage like ADK said and (b) RPI & Union have played 4 very evenly-played games this year that could have gone either way. It almost seems that the odds are in RPI's favor to win at least 1 of those.

Not that playing someone like Quinnipiac, Princeton, or Harvard would be that much easier...
                            Union Hockey

Comment

Now, I am not saying that RPI / Union in Albany automatically equals 10k, but let's break down each of your data points. Game 1, early-season, mid-week, last week of classes for RPI and classes not in session for Union. Game 2, not scheduled in advance, regularly poorly attended, students not in session for either school.

If Union makes it to Albany, their students will not be in session, but that team's first trip to Albany? I'm thinking that there may be a couple locals who would show up. If RPI and Union both make it to Albany (by a freak of nature CCT upset over SLU), then I could see the attendance for the final weekend being at least 6k.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                                Now, I am not saying that RPI / Union in Albany automatically equals 10k, but let's break down each of your data points. Game 1, early-season, mid-week, last week of classes for RPI and classes not in session for Union. Game 2, not scheduled in advance, regularly poorly attended, students not in session for either school.

If Union makes it to Albany, their students will not be in session, but that team's first trip to Albany? I'm thinking that there may be a couple locals who would show up. If RPI and Union both make it to Albany (by a freak of nature CCT upset over SLU), then I could see the attendance for the final weekend being at least 6k.
                                Another way to guage possible attendance figures is to look at the Governors Cup Tournament. Back in 2006 was the inaugural tournament, which had 4774 people for the Union/RPI game.

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20061...e=rpi&gender=m

Considering its the leagues championship weekend, with the right teams included I think it could easily reach 10k.

Comment

Working...
                                X