Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

the bigger concern is the next game

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

No, the playoffs is the bigger concern.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
        Yes, but having a feeling that we might end up playing one particular opponent in the playoffs is not a bigger concern that beating Cornell on Friday. Beating Cornell on Friday means that we can't finish lower than 2nd in the ECAC and means that our PWR improves.

What makes you think we are going to play Harvard anyway? Even after the regular season is finished, we still won't know who we'd play in round two due to the re-seedings after round one. Beat Cornell on Friday. Worry about Harvard when you know for a fact we're playing them.
        Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM.
        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

I understand where Sly is coming from but let the other teams start to worry about playing U. I see the Cornell game as a no lose situation with 3rd place locked up. I hope the boys come out with a winner take all attitude and play full out from the first drop of the puck.

On another note, MVT continues to lead the Hobey vote. Although the fan count only counts for 1%, it's great recognition for Mario and the program. Throw in a few votes for Mike Schrieber too. He has over 1,000 so far. I feel kind of bad that Jason Walters didn't get a nomination. His numbers are about as good as MVT's this season and he has more game winning goals, not to mention several more career points.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/voting/

Comment

Personally I'm not real worried about the Crimson. They won the first game because Carroll played out of his mind and in the 2nd game U was completely lackadaisical until the last 10 minutes & still almost came back. Harvard's passive defensive style has seemed to frustrate Union the past couple seasons, but there are several other teams I'd be more worried to meet in the playoffs. Besides, I wouldn't bet on the Crimson getting out of the first round..

As for Friday's tussle in Ithaca, I agree with UHM that this is a HUGE game. U still has not won a game against a currently ranked opponent (except Maine, which was so long ago I'm not sure it even means anything) and needs to make a statement that they can actually beat a top team in a BIG game. On the road, 2nd & possibly 1st place are on the line, home crowd stoked by retirement of Dryden's and Nieuwendyk's jerseys (as if they need any stoking), top 15 opponent.. doesn't get much bigger for a regular season game. And for PWR, this is probably the last chance U will have against a TUC team until Albany (hopefully). Have to say I'm a little nervous about how the young d-men and Kinkaid will do, as they haven't seen an atmosphere like this so far. The Red will definitely bring their A+ game at some point or points in the game and how U handles that will tell the tale.
            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
              As for Friday's tussle in Ithaca, I agree with UHM that this is a HUGE game. U still has not won a game against a currently ranked opponent (except Maine, which was so long ago I'm not sure it even means anything) and needs to make a statement that they can actually beat a top team in a BIG game. On the road, 2nd & possibly 1st place are on the line, home crowd stoked by retirement of Dryden's and Nieuwendyk's jerseys (as if they need any stoking), top 15 opponent.. doesn't get much bigger for a regular season game. And for PWR, this is probably the last chance U will have against a TUC team until Albany (hopefully). Have to say I'm a little nervous about how the young d-men and Kinkaid will do, as they haven't seen an atmosphere like this so far. The Red will definitely bring their A+ game at some point or points in the game and how U handles that will tell the tale.
              What concerns me right now is that U seems to have turned the tables...early in the season, they did very well on the road and not good at home. That has turned around, with 4 straight wins at Messa and (the Dartmouth comeback notwithstanding) 4 straight clunkers on the road.

I also think they should come out with a nothing-to-lose attitude tomorrow night. They can't fall any farther in the standings and it would be a sweet feeling to knock off Cornell on their jersey retirement night.
              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
                Maybe, but in order for the playoffs to be not as much of a concern, they should be worried only about their next game.

Beating Cornell allows Union to lock up 2nd place and have a chance for first. As everyone agreed last week, keep gunning for the higher seed, giving yourself a chance to face a lower-seeded opponent in the QFs.
                Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Just wondering how they pick who "hosts" the NCAA's. I feel that there should be co hosts if there are two schools in the immediate area. Now because RPI is the host in Albany, should we make it, we might have to travel to Worcester. Glad to make the drive, but still. The TUC is much closer and easier for students to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by uniondutch21 View Post
                    Just wondering how they pick who "hosts" the NCAA's. I feel that there should be co hosts if there are two schools in the immediate area. Now because RPI is the host in Albany, should we make it, we might have to travel to Worcester. Glad to make the drive, but still. The TUC is much closer and easier for students to get to.
                    The schools put in proposals with the arena. Union apparently wasn't interested in hosting, and I don't think they have ever done it before. Union could also end up at one of the western venues.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Union could also end up at one of the western venues.
                      Hey, there's a cart in front of my horse.

Comment

I think I speak for more than myself when I say that it would not matter where Union is playing in the national tournament. If they make it there, I would travel to Alaska if I had to. However, while we're on the subject, these would be my preferences:

1. Albany
                        2. Worcester
                        3. St. Paul
                        4. Ft. Wayne

In regards to the ECAC Tournament: Unfortunately, if Union makes it to Albany, I doubt many Union students would attend because exams are from the 15th to the 18th of March and then everyone usually heads home or to Mexico or wherever for Spring Break. The same would apply for the national tournament. Even if Union plays in Albany or Worcester, I doubt most students would attend since a lot of people go away.

I currently have tentative plans to be in the Dominican from the 21st to the 25th. I wanted to leave the 19th/20th open for the ECAC tournament in Albany and the 26th-28th just in case we make it to the NCAAs. I didn't book a flight in return to NYC on the 25th because I'm hoping to fly directly to Albany, Worcester, St. Paul, or Ft. Wayne.
                        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                          I think I speak for more than myself when I say that it would not matter where Union is playing in the national tournament. If they make it there, I would travel to Alaska if I had to. However, while we're on the subject, these would be my preferences:

1. Albany
                          2. Worcester
                          3. St. Paul
                          4. Ft. Wayne

In regards to the ECAC Tournament: Unfortunately, if Union makes it to Albany, I doubt many Union students would attend because exams are from the 15th to the 18th of March and then everyone usually heads home or to Mexico or wherever for Spring Break. The same would apply for the national tournament. Even if Union plays in Albany or Worcester, I doubt most students would attend since a lot of people go away.

I currently have tentative plans to be in the Dominican from the 21st to the 25th. I wanted to leave the 19th/20th open for the ECAC tournament in Albany and the 26th-28th just in case we make it to the NCAAs. I didn't book a flight in return to NYC on the 25th because I'm hoping to fly directly to Albany, Worcester, St. Paul, or Ft. Wayne.
                          Flying directly to Ft. Wayne from anywhere other than Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati or Atlanta won't be done...

It's my hometown and you'll be somewhat stunned at how small the airport is and how few carriers it has. If you're going to fly in, check into Indianapolis and then there's some shuttle van services that run between Indy and Ft. Wayne.

Avoid changing planes through O'Hare at all costs. The flights to Ft. Wayne are little puddle jumpers and they're notorious for being canceled or delayed for hours and hours and hours for even the slightest weather things.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                            Hey, there's a cart in front of my horse.
                            or airplane in front of the pilot in this case . Heck, in my day it was a road trip to Myrtle Beach for spring break. Ft. Liquordale if you were living large!

Comment

Fort Wayne Indiana: Strip Club Capital of the Midwest.

Comment

I wouldn't mind taking the trip to St. Paul. Ft. Wayne just doesn't seem to me like it would be very nice for some reason. I would really love to go to Detroit though. Hockey Town, USA!
                                Last edited by SlyFoxMan7; 02-25-2010, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X