Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

I forgot to mention this in the first post, but congrats to Luke Cain on scoring the tying goal in his first game back at Thompson after his horrible injury there. It's great to see him finally getting back to full strength.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      Have to let this sink in a bit, and of course there's a long way to go. However, Union needs to figure out how to bear down at the start of games, they're seemingly behind early in every one. It's one thing to come back on a Dartmouth or Clarkson, but as the playoffs approach, that's playing with fire and an invitation to an early exit. I'll let the coaches worry about that for now and keep thinking the good thoughts. This is virgin territory for Union faithful.
      Excellent post, Wholin1! I'm going to go out on a limb. In alpabetical order, the Top FOUR will be Cornell, RPI, Union, and Yale. And the winner is...............

Comment

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO U!!!!!!!!!!!

Stilllllllllllllllllllllllll innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirst.

RPI nowwwwwwwwwwww innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn bye territory!!!!!!!!!!

CDS LET'S GO!
        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Have to let this sink in a bit, and of course there's a long way to go. However, Union needs to figure out how to bear down at the start of games, they're seemingly behind early in every one. It's one thing to come back on a Dartmouth or Clarkson, but as the playoffs approach, that's playing with fire and an invitation to an early exit. I'll let the coaches worry about that for now and keep thinking the good thoughts. This is virgin territory for Union faithful.
          So what if you're behind in each game? So was the 1980 US Olympic hockey team while in LP. To quote RPI's captain, "They don't ask how, they ask how many." OK, so you have to come back to win against a few teams. If you are able to do that when the two of us play Colgate/Cornell, then you're simply finding a way to win. There isn't much wrong with that, because a hockey game is 60 minutes, not 55. I'm willing to admit at the December 9th game that you played 60 minutes, we didn't, and that's why you won.

Good luck against Harvard tonight. I hope you guys didn't tick off Dartmouth TOO much. Let's see if we can get 8 points for the capital district!

EDIT: Also, congratulations on clinching a home series in the playoffs. Don't know which round yet, though..
          Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 02-13-2010, 08:03 AM.

Comment

PWR update for Union:

The Dutchmen are very close to the tournament field right now, and RPI as a TUC is the push they would need to flip a TON of comparisons. I think, with an SCSU win over UND tonight and a completion of the Capital District sweep (maybe a Yale loss or tie to Cornell thrown in for good measure), Union will win comparisons with Ferris State, North Dakota, UMass, Yale, Vermont, New Hampshire, Michigan State, and possibly even Cornell. That's 7 to 8 comparisons to go with the 8 they already have. That catapults Union into at least a #3 seed position in the tournament.

Those comparisons are all very close right now. RPI as a TUC (and the 3-1-0 addition it would make to Union's TUC record, not to mention that it puts the Dutch over 10 TUC games, making it a comparison criteria) by itself would make Union a tournament team.

Heck, at this point I think Union could actually tie or lose tonight, and if RPI becomes a TUC they move into the tournament field.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              PWR update for Union:

The Dutchmen are very close to the tournament field right now, and RPI as a TUC is the push they would need to flip a TON of comparisons. I think, with an SCSU win over UND tonight and a completion of the Capital District sweep (maybe a Yale loss or tie to Cornell thrown in for good measure), Union will win comparisons with Ferris State, North Dakota, UMass, Yale, Vermont, New Hampshire, Michigan State, and possibly even Cornell. That's 7 to 8 comparisons to go with the 8 they already have. That catapults Union into at least a #3 seed position in the tournament.

Those comparisons are all very close right now. RPI as a TUC (and the 3-1-0 addition it would make to Union's TUC record, not to mention that it puts the Dutch over 10 TUC games, making it a comparison criteria) by itself would make Union a tournament team.

Heck, at this point I think Union could actually tie or lose tonight, and if RPI becomes a TUC they move into the tournament field.
              Thanks for the analysis, RC. Still I can't quite get over the feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop as it almost did last night. Probably this paranoia is an outgrowth of Union's largely futile past. Of course that's not really fair to this group of coaches and players who are not responsible for past deeds. Your team has a history and tradition to aspire to return to (and looks like it's on it's way to accomplishing) whereas Union is trying to establish itself as a program to be taken seriously (which I also think it is accomplishing).

Comment

This is somewhat uncharted territory for Union. To utter TUC and Union in the same sentance... wow.

Thanks for the good times, boys. Keep it up!!
                Not everyone agrees, apparently. And that's fine. They're allowed. That's what makes sports -- and sports fandom -- the compelling force it is in our lives. - Jayson Stark, ESPN Baseball Analyst

Comment

Thanks for the analysis, RC. Still I can't quite get over the feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop as it almost did last night. Probably this paranoia is an outgrowth of Union's largely futile past. Of course that's not really fair to this group of coaches and players who are not responsible for past deeds. Your team has a history and tradition to aspire to return to (and looks like it's on it's way to accomplishing) whereas Union is trying to establish itself as a program to be taken seriously (which I also think it is accomplishing).
                  I think I'm still waiting for the other shoe, also. I've seen this picture a few times, so I'm not counting my chickens just yet. That said, these guys are proving that they are players, not guys who just show up. I'm liking what I'm seeing/hearing.

As for Union being taken seriously, I think they're almost there. I do think they're being taken seriously by the opposing coaches & players, but some of the media and fans still seem to be skeptical...which may not end until they either reach Albany, win the ECACs, and/or qualify for the NCAAs.
                  Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    PWR update for Union:

Red Cloud-

I know we got off to a rocky start on these boards but I truly appreciate your knowledge and contributions to this thread and the USCHO Fan Forum in general.

As a somewhat new college hockey fan (I only started following Union in 2006 when I was a freshman), I really had no idea about the PWR until this season when I read up on it. Your analysis and updates are extremely helpful and I'd really have no idea what the detailed story would be if you did not keep us posted. It's really amazing and exciting to think that in a month in a half, I could be watching Union play in St. Paul, Fort Wayne, Worcester, or Albany.

Again, thank you for posting this and let's hope for the completion of another CD SWEEP tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                      I think I'm still waiting for the other shoe, also. I've seen this picture a few times, so I'm not counting my chickens just yet. That said, these guys are proving that they are players, not guys who just show up. I'm liking what I'm seeing/hearing.

As for Union being taken seriously, I think they're almost there. I do think they're being taken seriously by the opposing coaches & players, but some of the media and fans still seem to be skeptical...which may not end until they either reach Albany, win the ECACs, and/or qualify for the NCAAs.
                      A friend of a friend goes to Wisconsin and is a huge hockey fan. He said he's very impressed with what Union has done this season and he definitely takes them seriously.

Comment

Let's hope we don't play Harvard or Dartmouth in the postseason...

Comment

Very poor effor the first 50 minutes, no reason to get swept by Harvard. Time for the guys to reach deep for the final 4 games as there's no room for error if there are any hopes for first place. Harvard was simply ready to play and Union wasn't.

Comment

Well when you find yourself in a hole you have to stop digging and that 4th goal early in the 3rd period, buried them. Harvard's ownership of the Dutchmen continues and I really would not like to see Union face them at any point in the playoffs regardless of records.

We need to see one of the goalies get hot as the season winds down and the playoffs approach. I'm not seeing it right now and the team is relying too heavily on their potent attack. The playoffs are different animal and success starts from the goal line out.

Anyway, a 2 point road weekend is probably acceptable given yesterday's dodged bullet. Looking ahead, 3 points minimum next weekend will be crucial with the finale weekend visits to the dreaded Starr and to Lynah.

Comment

I would get ticked off about the result tonight, but we have no one to blame but ourselves. And from what I read on here, your situation was likely similar.

Oh well, it's off to the next weekend. Let's get back on track and get ourselves 8 points, 4 at a time.

And UHM, I second your disposition concerning the postseason and those teams.

Comment

Here are 2 unsettling facts: in the last 10 games, Union has had a lead after the 2nd period only once (Clarkson) and scored the first goal of the game 2 times (Brown 1/30 and Harvard 1/22).

Comment

Working...
                                X