Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by aweise View Post
    There was a definite overall lack of...um..."enthusiasm" in the building last night. Perhaps the lack of students contributed to that? I remarked that I didn't like the Colgate-Cornell weekend in December when the students were gone, but oh well...Union got the 2 points.
    I do think the lack of students contribute to the lack of electricity in the building. It's contagious to the rest of us. Not having any Colgate fans there to speak of didn't help. I think tonight should be at least a little more energetic, just in self-defense. We need to hold our own against a very enthusiastic Cornell fan base.
    Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      I agree KK was the difference last night, and a win is a win, but there will have to be a better effort tonight to compete against an excellent Cornell team. Messa, as most rinks do, lacks energy when it's half empty and coach called out the fans, per Ken Schott's blog. I assume there will be plenty of CU fans there tonight which might in itself get the locals riled up a bit.

http://cms.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...stgame-report/
      The Cornell contingent over in Troy last night was very lacking. I'd put it around 100-150 fans tops and no band. I assume that's because it was Friday night and you'll see a bigger group for the Saturday game. Either way, don't give Cornell anything on the ice and their fans will be easy to deal with.
      APBWiki

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
        Good luck vs. Cornell tonight. Your team has something special going on right now and Kinkaid can only get better. You guys are doing to us at Messa what we do to you at Starr Rink -- embarrass the visitors.

UHM -- we appreciate you stopping by on our thread to give us your thoughts/apologies re: last night and last year. You sound like a devoted Union fan. Good luck except of course on the last game of the regular season.
        I had to. I really feel bad about that because you Colgate fans seem like a good group and I would never want to offend any of you. Good luck against RPI tonight and hopefully I can make it out to Hamilton for the game on February 27th.
        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
          I do think the lack of students contribute to the lack of electricity in the building. It's contagious to the rest of us. Not having any Colgate fans there to speak of didn't help. I think tonight should be at least a little more energetic, just in self-defense. We need to hold our own against a very enthusiastic Cornell fan base.
          Absolutely. I was embarrassed with the lack of cheering for Union tonight. The two times I tried to start "Let's Go Union" chants, people looked at me like I had two heads. After that, I just gave up other than the usual cheering and yelling I do at games.

I had to head home this morning so I unfortunately will not be in attendance for the Cornell game but this one is always intense so I'm hoping that Messa will be louder tonight. As I said before, a win against Cornell would be HUGE and I really have faith that we can get it done!

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
            The two times I tried to start "Let's Go Union" chants, people looked at me like I had two heads.
            You're the kid who used to fill the water bottles? Those 2 were the only ones in that area generating any noise. At least your not the guy wearing the Mr. Met hat...sheesh

Comment

Penalty shots are a disadvantage! Your reward for a breakaway and getting pulled down, slashed, hooked, etc. is one shot on a keeper that is totally focused, doesn't have to worry about a rebound, and has plenty of time to concentrate on the shooter? I rather get the man advantage for 2 minutes and get 3-5 shots off in the middle of chaos. This could have been a tremendous momentum killer/swing.

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                The players and coach Leaman said it - they were lucky to come away with the win.
                Don't know if I buy it. This may be a bit of gamesmanship and brainwashing by Leaman.
                They did turn over the puck a few times in their own zone, but thanks to Kinkaid, trouble was averted. The majority of the 2nd and all of the 3rd, U dominated. The SOG don't show this but if someone has the stat on time of possession, I would bet U had the puck in Colgate's half of the rink for over 70% of the game. In the 3rd, it was probably close to 15 minutes of possession. Colgate did there usual job of clogging up the center and slot, but U had great patience and just kept cycling the puck, looking for an opportunity. when you're up by 2 you have the advantage of being able to taking your time.

The boys were physical and a force to reckon with on the forecheck. If they come out tonight with the same aggressive attitude, taking the body and actively forechecking, things should go their way.

When you are confident in your goalie and believe he will make some big saves when needed, it frres up the team to play at an entirely different level. We may be approaching this. Hope we haven't released the jinx .

GooooooU!

Comment

Originally posted by OsecnUC View Post
                  You're the kid who used to fill the water bottles? Those 2 were the only ones in that area generating any noise. At least your not the guy wearing the Mr. Met hat...sheesh
                  I was the guy wearing the Mr. Met hat.

Why sheesh?
                  Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 12-05-2009, 04:41 PM.

Comment

My two cents as someone who's seen a lot of Union Hockey games over the last several years:

A. Colgate games are ALWAYS dead. They don't travel well, our fans don't really seem to get pumped for them - add in the students not being here, and you get what you saw last night, a quiet building. But that's how it always is against Colgate. Union fans in general (minus the student section) aren't the most vocal fans in the league either. Games at Starr rink have a similar quiet atmosphere (At least against Union).

B. Cornell travels better, there's more local interest, and we tend to play them well and our fans get up for them - so I expect a better crowd presence tonight.

Personally, while thinking it wasn't Union's BEST game of the year, I was a little surprised to hear the coach's comments. I felt we played much better than Colgate, but the same mistakes we made against them would kill us tonight.

And just as a reminder, for those NOT making it to the rink, this game will be televised on TWC throughout upstate and western New York. And as always, the game can be heard locally on 89.7 WRUC, and on the internet at www.teamline.cc

Couple of announcer notes for those who care: The Greening/Galagher line has scored in all but one of Cornell's games this year. And of course, Scrivens is among the top 10 in GAA/Save %. Also, Cornell's power play is operating at a crushing 30%. They only got 19 shots against RPI last night.

Enjoy the game all! Let's go U!

Comment

Well, we remain unbeaten in ECAC play with the tie against Cornell. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to this game so I had to listen to the entire game on teamline.cc.

Can someone who was there please sum it up? I'm really curious what it was like.

Comment

Overall I would say that was a dang good hockey game. Both teams played pretty well, lots of hard hits, all the goals were good ones and the end result was well deserved. The Trabucco-Walters line gave Cornell fits all night and the Red ramped it up in the 3rd to get the tying goal. Thought U had a slight edge in OT, but couldn't get the big one. Kinkaid played very well again and really seems to have given the team confidence to make plays up ice. He still scares the heck out of me every time he goes out of the net to play the puck, but he kept it pretty simple tonight so were no disasters.

The crowd was much better than Friday, but was not exactly rocking like when the students are in session.. IMO VERY poor planning to schedule the Red without school in session - this is a big game every season and gets a lot of buzz on campus.

This was a great weekend and keeps the team well in the hunt for a top of the league finish. Huge congrats to the players and coaches!! I see that Schottsky is petitioning on his blog for Union to get ranked.. but frankly agree with Leaman that its not worth a hill of beans if the team doesn't keep winning.. and all it will do is give RPI even more motivation for Wednesday's game in Troy. Not much time to savor things..
                        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by OsecnUC View Post
                          Penalty shots are a disadvantage! Your reward for a breakaway and getting pulled down, slashed, hooked, etc. is one shot on a keeper that is totally focused, doesn't have to worry about a rebound, and has plenty of time to concentrate on the shooter? I rather get the man advantage for 2 minutes and get 3-5 shots off in the middle of chaos. This could have been a tremendous momentum killer/swing.
                          As it turns out, the rules allow the non-penalized team to choose if they want to take the penalty shot or a 2-minute minor. I'm assuming the refs asked Leaman and he said take the shot. With Mario taking it I was pretty confident he would get it done, but also agree that the goalies tend to have a big advantage in these situations. Luckily it didn't impact the final outcome.
                          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                            I was the guy wearing the Mr. Met hat.
                            I knew that....
                            how 'bout wearing the hat of a classy winning team instead of the hapless Mets? They sell Union hockey hats in the opposite corner of the arena. Show some pride.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                              As it turns out, the rules allow the non-penalized team to choose if they want to take the penalty shot or a 2-minute minor. I'm assuming the refs asked Leaman and he said take the shot. With Mario taking it I was pretty confident he would get it done, but also agree that the goalies tend to have a big advantage in these situations. Luckily it didn't impact the final outcome.
                              Gee;...didn't know that. It seems like the shot is always selected. Just seems while it may take longer, if a team has a good PP, then that would be the way to go.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                                Friday Union had a chance to do something Mario Lemieux did once himself in a game, and that is score in every possible variety-even strength, shorthanded, power play, empty net and penalty shot. Kind of hockey's version of hitting for the cycle.

With baby Leaman in attendance at his first game last night, it was fitting indeed that the game ended in a "Ty".

I thought this was a great weekend for Union hockey. 3 out of 4 points is a very good result against 2 teams ahead of us in the standings. The effort last night was very solid. I was impressed by both teams and thought it was a hard fought, clean game. Cornell is a physically impressive and skilled team. Schafer's post game comments were also quite sportsmanlike, although the poll issue is not really worth worrying about except in the event where Union might be looking for an at large NCAA bid which is getting WAY ahead of things.

I can't imagine there will be a letdown this week at RPI, but if there is, Union could be looking at their first blemish on their league record. RPI is struggling a bit now but I can't imagine they won't be riled up for the midweek game.

Comment

Working...
                                X