Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
    Miserable weekend. I expected to get two points this weekend but now that it's over, I think we can all say that two points was a HUGE disappointment.
    Are you disappointed because Union got two and RPI got four?
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by yaledoc View Post
      Yeah,you're right the IVIES don't start on a even playing field (er,
      sheet of ice). Why not simply enjoy a well-deserved tie, and avoid going
      ad hominem? Marc Arcobello,Broc Little, Denny Kearney, Brian O'Neill, and
      Ryan Donald (to name just a few) are "not much else" ? Get SERIOUS!
      Better yet, come to the Whale on 1/29/10...... you'll see a different result!
      I didn't see much else than Backman, Little, & Arcobello...in fact, I didn't see much of Arcobello. I did see a lot of Donald jumping off the bench with the sole intention of "chatting" with the ref.

Seriously, Yale is still a solid team. They owned the 3rd period as much as Union owned the second and I thought the game was very evenly-played. Yale just wanted it more in the 3rd. They weren't lucky to come away with a tie - they definitely worked for it.

As for the weekend overall, it was definitely disappointing. Union seemed to take Brown a little too lightly until the two shorties made it 3-1. Take those away and it's a close 1-1 game late in the 3rd. Milan didn't get any help, but I still think Corey needs to come up with one of those saves. If nothing else, it lifts the team a bit and/or wakes them up.

Nevertheless, Union still got two points, though not like I would have guessed. The one point they were 6+ seconds away from may haunt them in late February.

Tough trip upcoming this weekend, but at least they get it out of the way early in the season. With Clarkson not playing so well, it would behoove the Dutchmen to get something out of that game - and not a tie.
      Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Are you disappointed because Union got two and RPI got four?
        I for one would never begrudge RPI its 4 points just as I know you would never do so for Union.

As far as this weekend, couple of more thoughts. The Brown result was totally in character with history. I believe there is an unwritten ECAC regulation that prohibits Union from beating Brown and similarly winning at Starr rink.

I watched some of the Yale game on DVR on Sunday, just to punish myself a bit more and to distract me from the Giant's meltdown. Does anyone else think that Little may have been offsides on the first goal? If anyone has the game, take a look. I know there didn't appear to be any protest so I'm probably just a bad amateur ref (if I could skate I could probably get a gig with the ECAC ).

Also, I don't think Corey saw the first faceoff goal as he was totally frozen. On the second, Dan Fridgen called the play, as he reminded the listeners after the fact, with Backman floating around as free as a bird on the point. I do think that Corey was a bit slow shifting to and getting the right side covered. Obviously, that was a bad icing to take with 11 seconds remaining. I also think the chances are slim to none, barring a blowout, that we will see Kinkaid in a league game before the holiday break.
        Last edited by Wholin1; 11-09-2009, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Doc; I know all the names but they didn't impress. My point was I was expecting to see a different level of play out of Yale, that's all. The only players to really make a statement on the ice for the Bulldogs were Backman for his usual level of play and Donald for bringing the game to a screaching halt with his continual crying to the ref. The play of the rest of the team was, for the most part, unremarkable. The only player you worried about as a Union fan was Backman, and sure enough he took care of business.

Comment

Bottom line is Union outplayed Yale for 2/3 of the game and was ahead with less than 12 seconds to play - Union should have won and they didn't, so it's disappointing. Yale is obviously a very talented team and when they started moving their feet in the 3rd period (and winning every faceoff) they were a sight to behold. I don't know why Yale never seems to take Union seriously (the exact opposite of Brown I might add), but can only hope that the same happens at the Whale later in the season. BTW, Little is one of the top players in the league IMO and is right up there with Wong from Q-pac as one of the players I will be most happy to see graduate.
            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by OsecnUC View Post
              What a weekend of lousy hockey! Everyone should take off their garnett colored glasses and face up to the fact that this team is far from exceptional. Milan has been mediocre, at best, throughout his career at U. Last night's 2nd and 3rd goals were soft, or at least stoppable by a keeper on top of his game. He even wiffed on a wrister to his catcher with 5 minutes left that narrowly missed. No screen, no deflection, an easy shot. He just doesn't get his head into the game.
              The young defensemen should concentrate on defense and stop pinching in all the time. Seems as only Wakita and Schreiber understand what it is to stay home.
              Back checking by the newer forwards is non-existant. Anyone with a mind knew that Sean Backman would be the guy to make a difference for Yale and he was left all alone to score the back breaker.
              This is not a good way to leave for the North Country.
              Come on boys, let's play hockey
              U's young d-men got exposed this weekend. This is a tough part of the season for inexperienced d-men. There is usually a "honeymoon" period at the start of the season when most players are going off of habits learned from the season before, so young d-men often do well making plays they used in juniors/preps. A month or so in, this changes as teamwork gets more refined and the intensity of league play begins. D-men have to make more precise passes and are being coached to do things they haven't done in the past. Banging it up the boards against a team as quick as Yale and hoping your teammate gets it is a good way to lose puck possession, as evidenced by the 3rd period on Saturday. This should get better as the season gets into December, but there will be bumps along the way.

Agree that team defense needs to improve. U has been very good in past seasons clogging the neutral zone in the 3rd period to protect leads. There is nothing wrong with this strategy, but it sure didn't work on Saturday. Too many forwards got caught up ice or didn’t come back to help the d-men get the puck out of the zone. This may have to do with some of the young players up front, but don’t expect this from the upperclassmen. There need to be players setting the tone for dedication to defense in the locker room & on the ice like Cook & Potts did last year. Thought Shaffer added this over the weekend, but IMO not enough commitment from all the forwards. Hopefully this improves too.

IMO was definitely a big breakdown on the tying goal. I saw the replay at home, and when Little got the puck and started moving towards the slot area it looked like every Union player on the “Backman side” of the ice (including both d-men) moved towards him to cut him off. Someone definitely should have followed Backman or cut off the passing lane to him. It looked like everyone thought there was only 3 seconds left in the game and Little had to shoot it. Definitely a blown assignment by someone.

And as for Milan, I continue to be very worried. Two very soft goals in a weekend that ends in two ties is a problem. I’m not ready to throw him under the bus yet, but the next month & a half will probably tell us if he is going to turn out to be a Leggio type keeper or a Bud Fisher.

Comment

Gotta throw in this too, this is a rough time of year as well due to exams, and im sure that a few are not feeling 100% (who is these days) not that its an excuse but something to think about as well.

I believe that over the break, heads will be cleared, things will start gelling.
                Don't give up on these guys this is truly a dangerous team we all are fans of right now, things just have to set themselves up right now.
                Let's go Dutch
                Union Hockey 2010-2011

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                  And as for Milan, I continue to be very worried.
                  I have to agree with this sentiment. I think that midway through his third season there is little evidence to show that he is the type of keeper that can "carry" a team. Maybe there's a possibility that they will start a transition toward Kinkaid in a manner similar to the way York was worked into the lineup by Appert last season which I thought he did quite well. I have no idea if Kinkaid has that kind of potential but I would like to see him get a chance. I would be surprised however to see much if any of KK before nonconference play ends before the holidays.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                    I have to agree with this sentiment. I think that midway through his third season there is little evidence to show that he is the type of keeper that can "carry" a team. Maybe there's a possibility that they will start a transition toward Kinkaid in a manner similar to the way York was worked into the lineup by Appert last season which I thought he did quite well. I have no idea if Kinkaid has that kind of potential but I would like to see him get a chance. I would be surprised however to see much if any of KK before nonconference play ends before the holidays.
                    Don't be surprised. Ken Schott says Nate wont name the starter for friday and wont comment on Corey's play. That tells me that Kinkaid is starting, and thank god because Corey SUCKS. He can't backstop a winning team in the ECAC, no chance. I would be content seeing him on the bench for the rest of his career at U.

Comment

• Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
                      Don't be surprised. Ken Schott says Nate wont name the starter for friday and wont comment on Corey's play. That tells me that Kinkaid is starting, and thank god because Corey SUCKS. He can't backstop a winning team in the ECAC, no chance. I would be content seeing him on the bench for the rest of his career at U.
                      Wow, Anthony, I can see you like to take the direct approach. And my doubting an imminent goalie change was apparently way off the mark as usual.

http://cms.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...ll-be-in-goal/

Comment

Lane Caffaro was recalled by the AHL's Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins.

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/member...ffaroWBSRecall

Comment

Wow, Anthony, I can see you like to take the direct approach. And my doubting an imminent goalie change was apparently way off the mark as usual.

http://cms.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...ll-be-in-goal/
                          Yea I'm pretty sick of Milan. He's never been anything but average. He has poor reflexes, rebound control, size, decision making. He freaking goes butterfly every time the other team has the puck and keeps his shoulders weighted down and his glove hand in a cement block.

When has he ever stole a game? How often does he make a clutch save?

He is the worst starting goalie U has has since probably Lehor Srtohm. I can't spell his name. Kinkaid can't be worse. Put him in and let him grow, because this team won't go anywhere with Milan back there.

Comment

good points. Milan has never "won" the game or been the sole reason for a victory. Nate not commenting is nothing new. He has never really commented on the keeper situation....maybe because the keepers have never been dominent and he is affraid of shattering them.

Comment

Lane Caffaro was recalled by the AHL's Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins.
                              got himself in a fight with Matt Generous (SLU). Perhaps they're just getting ready for this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
                                Yea I'm pretty sick of Milan. He's never been anything but average. He has poor reflexes, rebound control, size, decision making. He freaking goes butterfly every time the other team has the puck and keeps his shoulders weighted down and his glove hand in a cement block.

When has he ever stole a game? How often does he make a clutch save?

He is the worst starting goalie U has has since probably Lehor Srtohm. I can't spell his name. Kinkaid can't be worse. Put him in and let him grow, because this team won't go anywhere with Milan back there.
                                I would disagree that he hasn't stolen a game, it just hasn't happened very often and never lasts for more than a game or two. The Gov's Cup stretch last year was probably the best I've seen. Also think Corey's rebound control has been much better so far this season.

.. the rest of your post I have a hard time disagreeing with. The 2 big problems Corey has are shots up high and shots from outside, particularly in traffic. Obviously these are basic shots that are pretty impossible to prevent. I'm no expert on the goalie trade so not exactly sure how you fix these things, but there are plenty of goalies that are the same size or smaller that seem to get the job done. Michigan State won a NC a couple years ago with a goalie that was 5-6! I know Leaman does the goalie coaching, but wasn't aware this was exactly his forte. Would be nice if they had someone like Trevor Koenig (also ~Corey's size) to help out, but know probably not in the budget.

As for right now, I see no reason to not give Kinkaid a shot this Friday. He's probably the goalie of the future anyway and was brought in to push Corey - so be it. Maybe some kind of rotation will work. This continues to be the weakest part of Leaman's teams and it needs to get fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X