Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Last edited by MaineMan; 10-09-2009, 05:33 PM. Reason: nevermind, video is working

Comment

Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Congrats to Union on a well played game tonight. They took advantage of the opportunities that they were given. They were fortunate to win given the # of penalties that they took, but their PK was very strong. This was my 1st trip to Union and I want to say that the rink is a pretty good place to watch a game. Lighting is very good and I like the seamless glass. I hope that the outcome is different tomorrow night, but Maine had better come to play as Union can definitely play.

Comment

Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Oh man Union looks GOOD this year.

Comment

Great way to start the season. The play of freshmen like Bodie, Welsh, and Wayne Simpson was very encouraging. Cory was good when they needed him, and they converted some nice opportunities. The top line looked good even though the scoring came from others.

I know it's not the same Maine team we were used to a few years back when they were always in contention in HE and regulars in the tournament, but this is still a big step for Union. Wins against the better HE teams have been very hard to come by.

So what was the Maine goalie thinking not coming out to play that puck on the Pallos goal?

Nice crowd, too. It was great to see a full Section Q standing for pretty much the whole game. But stay around for 2 more minutes for the stick salute after the handshake! Nearly the whole student section emptied out right after the empty netter made it 4-1.

And finally, of all the items they could add at the concession stand, they add sushi??

Comment

Yeah a major mistake on Maine's goalies part on the SH Goal.
            He did a Class "A" hesitation, and fortunately Pallos put it home with
            a nice goal in the upper shelf.

Good game by U all around, first time in a while I see them
            play a pure 60 minute game. Still taking penalties but im sure alot
            of it has to do with first game jitters (well didnt look like they had the jitters with a 4-1 win)

Anyhow good game in all.

See ya'll tommorow

Reminder

Football at home vs Hobart @ 2 as well...
            Let's go Dutch
            Union Hockey 2010-2011

Comment

Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the ye

Originally posted by UnionFan36 View Post
              Yeah a major mistake on Maine's goalies part on the SH Goal...
              CLEARLY, Benny Barr has been teaching the U lads about scoring shorties at Achilles...

But seriously, a nice win for Union -- always good for an ECAC team to beat up on a HE team! I did notice USCHO snubbed you guys and made no mention of last night's win in the home page article about the slew of upset wins last night. Total BS !
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                CLEARLY, Benny Barr has been teaching the U lads about scoring shorties at Achilles...

But seriously, a nice win for Union -- always good for an ECAC team to beat up on a HE team! I did notice USCHO snubbed you guys and made no mention of last night's win in the home page article about the slew of upset wins last night. Total BS !
                That's because it wasn't an upset. This isn't 1988 or 1999. Right now, Union has a better hockey team. And they're playing at home. That's no upset.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I was pretty impressed overall with last night's effort. The freshmen looked like they can contribute right away. Milan was generally sharp and focused and though he gave up some rebounds, he seemed to control them pretty well. I imagine Kinkaid will get the start tonight and maybe a couple of others who sat last night (I'm curious to get a look at Ekstrom). The inordinate number of penalties was a bit puzzling and troubling, though then again, these are ECAC officials and also the first years need to adjust to perhaps playing in more tightly called games than they are used to. Maine should be smarting so the Dutchmen better not come out on their heels this evening.

Comment

Wicked, missed your post as I was doing so at the same time. I met Mr. Barr on Monday night for the first time and he seems like an outstanding individual though he is probably getting tired of the ribbing he is still getting about his playoff shorties.

Nice point about ECAC beating on HE, not to mention CCHA. Good luck tonight. I'm not surprised about Union flying under the radar, just check vicb's poll. We've got a long way to go to earn more props but I seriously think we are on the right path.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                      Wicked, missed your post as I was doing so at the same time. I met Mr. Barr on Monday night for the first time and he seems like an outstanding individual though he is probably getting tired of the ribbing he is still getting about his playoff shorties.

Nice point about ECAC beating on HE, not to mention CCHA. Good luck tonight. I'm not surprised about Union flying under the radar, just check vicb's poll. We've got a long way to go to earn more props but I seriously think we are on the right path.
                      I don't think Benny will ever get tired of being reminded about those goals...
                      I've never been shy about giving Leaman props for his recruiting wins. Its only when we go head to head that I get nasty.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                        I was pretty impressed overall with last night's effort. The freshmen looked like they can contribute right away. Milan was generally sharp and focused and though he gave up some rebounds, he seemed to control them pretty well. I imagine Kinkaid will get the start tonight and maybe a couple of others who sat last night (I'm curious to get a look at Ekstrom). The inordinate number of penalties was a bit puzzling and troubling, though then again, these are ECAC officials and also the first years need to adjust to perhaps playing in more tightly called games than they are used to. Maine should be smarting so the Dutchmen better not come out on their heels this evening.
                        It's not just the ECAC zebras, RPI got whistled for something like 14 in their loss to UMass. Roughly half of those were phantom calls...until the latter half of 3rd, when they put the whistles away. It's WAAAY too early to complain about refs, but here we are...

Comment

It's not just the ECAC zebras, RPI got whistled for something like 14 in their loss to UMass. Roughly half of those were phantom calls...until the latter half of 3rd, when they put the whistles away. It's WAAAY too early to complain about refs, but here we are...
                          I feel your pain but let's face it, nothing is going to change anytime soon at least in the ECAC, so IMO the teams and their coaches have to deal with it the best they can. And I hate to mention it, but there is a master in our midst in the Land of Gorges.

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
                            Beat them with a jock strap? Sure!

Beat them at a hockey game? No!

Good call.
                            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

How about Union and QU both sweeping their NC weekends. Best of luck tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by achillesrink-3-7-5 View Post
                                Great way to start the season. The play of freshmen like Bodie, Welsh, and Wayne Simpson was very encouraging. Cory was good when they needed him, and they converted some nice opportunities. The top line looked good even though the scoring came from others.

I know it's not the same Maine team we were used to a few years back when they were always in contention in HE and regulars in the tournament, but this is still a big step for Union. Wins against the better HE teams have been very hard to come by.

So what was the Maine goalie thinking not coming out to play that puck on the Pallos goal?

Nice crowd, too. It was great to see a full Section Q standing for pretty much the whole game. But stay around for 2 more minutes for the stick salute after the handshake! Nearly the whole student section emptied out right after the empty netter made it 4-1.

And finally, of all the items they could add at the concession stand, they add sushi??
                                I was also happy with the student section. I didn't even have to yell at people to tell them to stand up. However, I don't know what was up with that "OLAY, OLAY, OLAY, OLAAAY" chant after the goals. They stopped playing the "hey" song ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBohdltpVUY ) so I didn't know what to do. I tried to get it going after the first goal but it was tough. Either way, the freshman students seemed really into it so that was a good thing. I started a facebook event group about the games this weekend among the students and nearly 200 people joined. I will be selling more of those "7th Player" t-shirts before the game so anyone who wants one should stop by the table near the student section.

As for the game itself, I thought we looked GREAT. I was happy to see that right after Maine scored, we answered right back and then piled on in the third period. I hope we can get the sweep tonight!!!

LET'S GO U!!!
                                LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Working...
                                X