Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union93
    replied
    Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Originally posted by slapschott View Post
    It's the coaches who vote. The media doesn't have a say.
    Coaches should know better on this front. And I'm not even advocating MVT. Broc Little deserves the recognition more. Just can't figure out why everyone thinks Backman is one of the 3 best players in the league, let alone one of the three best forwards.

In the end, it shouldn't better. If Polacek doesn't win the award, that would be the real injustice

Leave a comment:

• SlyFoxMan7
    replied
    Re: Union College Hockey 2009-2010: Playoff series win? Check. Albany? This is the year.

Thanks, DUDE

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Pardon me for breaking from the subject, but it's great to see you back on these boards, SlyFoxMan.

Leave a comment:

• SlyFoxMan7
    replied

Originally posted by aweise View Post
    It's a legitimate question.

On one hand, Kinkaid played well in the 2.5 games he played on Friday night. He's the #1 goalie that earned the spot midway through the season.

On the other hand, Milan came in and won the 2 most important games in the school's D-1 history.

Hmm....
    I'd give the edge to Milan because I believe he has played in the Times Union Center before with the governor's cup. That's the x factor. This is a big stage and I would go with experience here.

Leave a comment:

• slapschott
    replied

I had a feeling we'd see this once Backman was named to the first team over MVT. I also have no problems with Polacek and Scrivens being on that list. I wonder who determines these finalists - is it the coaches and/or media? We can re-hash MVT's snub over & over, but it won't change anything. The more important goal is to win the next two games.

And a hearty congrats to Nate Leaman!! RC said it - there really wasn't another choice.
    It's the coaches who vote. The media doesn't have a say.

Leave a comment:

• unionbob
    replied

Chef...

Sorry I miss you...guess I was looking for the flag....hope all is well with you and the family....after this weekend you would have had popeye arms waving that thing.....

OK folks Ken Schott needs our help...he is in a contest to have bobblehead doll made in his likeness....click on the link and vote.....spread the word...
    http://www.bobblevote.com/

Leave a comment:

• UnionHockeyManiac
    replied

Let's just agree that they are both beasts. Glad I don't have to make the call. I trust in our coach of the year to make the right decision though!

Leave a comment:

• Wholin1
    replied

On the other hand, Milan came in and won the 2 most important games in the school's D-1 history.
    This is the one I was referring too. Not to minimize Keith's performance, but Milan was superb in back to back elimination games. Best games I've ever seen him play.

Leave a comment:

• aweise
    replied

Originally posted by thehockeymaven View Post
    Which hot goaltender are you talking about?

Milan: 120 Minutes, 2 GA, 1.00 GAA, .966 save %, 97 minutes played between goals

Kinkaid: 150 Minutes, 3 GA, 1.20 GAA, .945 save %, 129 minutes played between goals

On one hand, Kinkaid played well in the 2.5 games he played on Friday night. He's the #1 goalie that earned the spot midway through the season.

Hmm....

Leave a comment:

• thehockeymaven
    replied

Which hot goaltender are you talking about?

Milan: 120 Minutes, 2 GA, 1.00 GAA, .966 save %, 97 minutes played between goals

Kinkaid: 150 Minutes, 3 GA, 1.20 GAA, .945 save %, 129 minutes played between goals

Leave a comment:

• Chefvad
    replied

So, the eldest son finishes his game in Syracuse last night, and we decide to drive to Messa. What a game, what a game...

Great to see a few familiar faces, see a playoff series win, and see the joint rocking. We were sold seats in Section 6 (!) and it was unusual sitting there instead of my old Section B Row 1 seats.

Since I didn't plan on coming, I left the flag at home. Yes, I still have the flag, and pull it out occasionally to look at the signatures, stains and memories.

Will not make the trip to Albany this weekend, since I have prior committments, but I did just sign up for the NHL Network from TW Cable for an additional $3.00 a month. I will be there in spirit, boys. Play well and make us proud.

Leave a comment:

• UnionHockeyManiac
    replied

I know, I know: Polls don't mean anything but I still think this is a great sign of respect for Union's program after our historic weekend and hard-fought series in Schenectady!

#15 in the USCHO Poll: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?type=d1
    #15 in the USA Today Poll: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=usatoday&week=poll
    #8 in the INCH Power Rankings: http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/5...polls_0825.htm

Leave a comment:

• Wholin1
    replied

I'm still recovering, but I'm beginning to believe it really happened. The longest trip ever from Schenectady to Albany, 8 years. Plenty to process but it will take a while.

First 20 (so far) win D-1 season, first final four appearance, Coach of the Year. Union hockey is on a roll and nothing will surprise me this weekend. Oh and by the way, we've got what every coach dreams of, a hot goaltender into the playoffs.

Congrats to all involved and to the diehard fans out there as well. Thanks also to the well wishers from other fan bases.

Leave a comment:

• DMA
    replied

I think last night's game was more a case of letting them play than anything else. The deciding game of a playoff series shouldn't be decided by the refs and they know that. I don't remember too many instances where the potential infraction either prevented or caused a quality scoring chance, but the "let them play" theory really shouldn't stop the refs from calling penalties that are legitimate penalties.

I agree. I did not have a problem with the refs, but I think Pecknold was implying that HE did. My point is that if they had not taken a "let them play" approach, it would have hurt Q more than U.

On the comment by another poster asking if Pecknold really has more to work with than Harvard, I guess I have not seen their respective budgets. I was basing it more on Q's facilities, which are in a different class from everyone else's I believe, and there being less stringent admissions requirements at Q than most of the other ECAC schools, especially Harvard (although I am not saying that Q is not a good school, it just isn't an ivy or RPI, or Colgate or Union). When you compare Q to U on that basis, and then add in U's lack of athletic scholarships, Pecknold looks pretty bad compared to Leaman over the past few years.

Leave a comment:

• Wholin1
    replied

Originally posted by TimU View Post
    I understand why people feel Leaman was clearly the best choice. But I don't think he was the only possible choice: Joe Marsh was a credible candidate as well, and he's a popular guy whose abilities people like to recognize.

And of course to the extent I'm right about that, it makes Leaman's selection that much more impressive. He deserves it.
    I also believe Leaman was a deserving candidate but can't disagree that Coach Marsh deserved consideration. He is class all the way.

As far as Player of the Year, I'd go with Polacek. He was downright scary this season, at least against Union, and judging by his stats, some other teams as well. My friend is familiar with his landlord who says all this kid does is play hockey, work out and study.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X