Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCSU Euro
    replied
    Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    Why not Powerpoint a college photo of Toews to drive home the point to the kids that college is REALLY fun?
    *****http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hxBuvxzvvVE/SdqD9OqwQiI/AAAAAAAADkA/VUa1dCLkd9Q/s400/Alcoholic+Toews.jpg******
    Shouldn't they be using Frattin or Oshie instead?

Originally posted by Rich View Post
    CC had 3 last year - Vlassopolous, Marciano, Quilico
    I knew Vlassopolous was, but when I quick checked DU and CC's 09-10 rosters from last year on USCHO, and all I did was just glance for "Calif.", Andreas wasn't on there anymore.

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
    Ha. Bemidji and AF leaving the CHA killed college hockey expansion. (No, not women's sports, as many would like to believe.)
    Not really. Lack of a conference is a hurdle, but one that could be worked around. Title IX rules absolutely can't be worked around. There's a lot of schools very open to the idea of adding a men's team since it can be a revenue-generating sport, but no one can afford the financial black hole of a women's team necessary to comply with the law.

Whatever you want to believe, that's the truth of the situation.

Leave a comment:

• Runninwiththedogs
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    You could probably also include the 3 colleges in Colorado as part of the list of current opportunity (even if one of them is a military academy); perhaps Puck Swami could enlighten us on how many Calfornia players CC or DU generally attempts to recruit. Granted, expansion to California would likely mean we'd have to reinstate the CHA, and unless we have at least 4 more new teams, I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.
    Ha. Bemidji and AF leaving the CHA killed college hockey expansion. (No, not women's sports, as many would like to believe.)

Brett Hextall is "from" California but he's not your typical California player.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    None of the recruits are from California. I am probably forgetting someone, but the only previous player from CA that I recall is Keith MCWilliams.
    Pickett.

Leave a comment:

• bothman
    replied

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    A more interesting stat would be the $. For example how much does the average CHL player make over the course of their career including hockey compared to an NCAA player.
    This would be fascinating - you could then normalize by taking out all of the NHL salaries (for both NCAA and Major Junior) since the great majority never see the show.

The Result = The Average Lifetime Revenue a hockey player can expect to realize by choosing the NCAA vs Major Junior.

It would be very tough to get this data, but I would bet that it would drastically slant the stats to the college route.

You could back into the data by using averages (what is the average salary in each Canada and the USA for those with and without a college degree and then it becomes a simple multiplication exercise).

Leave a comment:

• CHFAN222
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    The one stat in the presentation that really jumped out at me was that if you take the 16% of CHL players who get a college degree, and you add in the 5% of of CHL players who eventually see the NHL and add them together, there are still 79-80% of of CHL players who don't get to the NHL and don't get a degree, either. That's a huge number of players.

In the NCAA, 84% get a degreee and 5% get to the NHL, so there is only about 10% who don't get one or the other.
    A more interesting stat would be the $. For example how much does the average CHL player make over the course of their career including hockey compared to an NCAA player.

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

The one stat in the presentation that really jumped out at me was that if you take the 16% of CHL players who get a college degree, and you add in the 5% of of CHL players who eventually see the NHL and add them together, there are still 79-80% of of CHL players who don't get to the NHL and don't get a degree, either. That's a huge number of players.

In the NCAA, 84% get a degreee and 5% get to the NHL, so there is only about 10% who don't get one or the other.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

RPI's current Californians (minus recruits, as I do not recall where they are from) include forward Josh Rabbani and 3rd string goaltender Joe Harkenrider. It may be possible an incoming recruit is from California which would make 3; perhaps RB could shed some light on this.

Not only California, but there's likely also a decent influx of players from Florida as well. I believe this coming up year, RPI will have 2 players from Boca Raton. Perhaps one of these schools would be willing to get a team together, especially if there is a college in Tampa; there's already the Lightning Classic tournament there.
    None of the recruits are from California. I am probably forgetting someone, but the only previous player from CA that I recall is Keith MCWilliams.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

RPI's current Californians (minus recruits, as I do not recall where they are from) include forward Josh Rabbani and 3rd string goaltender Joe Harkenrider. It may be possible an incoming recruit is from California which would make 3; perhaps RB could shed some light on this.

Not only California, but there's likely also a decent influx of players from Florida as well. I believe this coming up year, RPI will have 2 players from Boca Raton. Perhaps one of these schools would be willing to get a team together, especially if there is a college in Tampa; there's already the Lightning Classic tournament there.

Leave a comment:

• Rich
    replied

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    And yet without knowing where the hell St. Cloud was, two kids from California were on SCSU's roster last year, while the three schools you mentioned had a combined one. Kids from California will start to learn where Duluth, St. Cloud, Bemidji and other D-1 hockey towns are soon enough.

Anybody know of any schools with more than 2 kids from Cali last year?
    CC had 3 last year - Vlassopolous, Marciano, Quilico

I would bet that California kids know a lot more about teams like SCSU and UMD than people are giving them credit for. CC and DU have both had quite a few California kids on the roster, and I know that many of them followed the WCHA before they arrived on campus. Many of the more recent kids CC picked up knew or looked up to some of the older California kids who played at CC and they watched their games on satellite or followed the stats online. Starting with PuckSwami's list, CC has had the following California kids in the last ~10 years:

Brett Sterling
    Noah Clarke
    Brian Salcido
    Andreas Vlassoupolous
    Justin Morrison
    Dakota Eveland
    Dan Quilico
    Joe Marciano
    Alex Kim
    Nick Tsiantar
    Justin Morrison
    Berk Nelson

Leave a comment:

• dggoddard
    replied

"Jonathan Toews is the poster child for College Hockey Inc." - Jeff Dwyer, Director of Education and Recruitment for College Hockey Inc.

Why not Powerpoint a college photo of Toews to drive home the point to the kids that college is REALLY fun?
    *****http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hxBuvxzvvVE/SdqD9OqwQiI/AAAAAAAADkA/VUa1dCLkd9Q/s400/Alcoholic+Toews.jpg******

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    And yet without knowing where the hell St. Cloud was, two kids from California were on SCSU's roster last year, while the three schools you mentioned had a combined one. Kids from California will start to learn where Duluth, St. Cloud, Bemidji and other D-1 hockey towns are soon enough.
    BSU had Orlando Alamano (G) from Fresno and Brandon Marino (F) from Riverside - both seniors on the '09 Frozen Four team. Plus they had Andrew Martens ('06 - D) from Friendswood, Texas.

Leave a comment:

• First Time, Long Time
    replied

Technically St. Cloud had three. Eddy went to high school in Minnesota but was born and grew up in California and knew Lasch which is one of the reasons he came to Cloud

Leave a comment:

• SCSU Euro
    replied

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    I think this was a great move. I do think that for future efforts they may want to include a few more coaches from schools the kids might actually have heard of -- at least geographically -- Michigan, Harvard, Maine, etc.

A kid from Cali. likely knows more about the cities in Mexico than he does about Duluth, or St. Cloud

Anybody know of any schools with more than 2 kids from Cali last year?

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

perhaps Puck Swami could enlighten us on how many Calfornia players CC or DU generally attempts to recruit. .
    It's a source of players, but by no means a dominant one (in comparison to Canada, Minnesota or even Colorado)

Some DU Californians off the top of my head...

Peter MacNab (San Diego- Born in BC)
    Andy Hilliard (Santa Rosa)
    Anders Eisner (Beverly Hills)
    Gabe Gauthier - Buena Park
    Rhett Rhakshani - Orange County
    Beau Bennett - Gardena
    Jason Zucker - From Nev but played youth hockey in LA

CC has had some luck with Californians, too (off the top of my head)

Brett Sterling
    Noah Clarke
    Brian Salcido
    Andreas Vlassoupolous
    Justin Morrison
    Dakota Eveland

The Hockey is definitely getting better and better there since Gretzky went there in 1988...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X