Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

    Originally posted by Rich View Post
    Huh? I don't remember bringing it up - quote please?
    Didn't you? I know someone did and it wasn't jnacc. Must have misread something somewhere...
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

    Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

    Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

    Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

      Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      Didn't you? I know someone did and it wasn't jnacc. Must have misread something somewhere...
      Nope.

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

        Originally posted by jnacc View Post
        So in essence, a player could play in the OHL, gather his scholarship once his career is over, go to Notre Dame and tap into need or merit based money thus drastically reducing his tuition to an almost free ride. O.K I suppose it is relevant after all but it does very little to buttress your point of view.
        exactly

        not condoning going to major junior but these people who throw out the 250K to 450K for a 4 year degree are out of touch with reality. Most kids who get th schollys come from honest hard working families and would have paid probably between 10-15K per year, tops. At the same time, the vast, vast majority getb 2 years or less, not 4/4. Absurd to try and pretend that you would compare OHL package to a 4/4. Not close to apples to apples


        Get an education, it will always be there.
        If you are a top 35-40 nhl pick type, play hockey, go to school after

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

          Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
          exactly

          not condoning going to major junior but these people who throw out the 250K to 450K for a 4 year degree are out of touch with reality. Most kids who get th schollys come from honest hard working families and would have paid probably between 10-15K per year, tops. At the same time, the vast, vast majority getb 2 years or less, not 4/4. Absurd to try and pretend that you would compare OHL package to a 4/4. Not close to apples to apples


          Get an education, it will always be there.
          If you are a top 35-40 nhl pick type, play hockey, go to school after
          That depends on the school. I know BU, Northeastern, and BC would each be at least 40K+ to anyone when you include room and board and meal plan and BU is probably closer to 45K+ and gives very little financial aid. Compare this to say a MN school with in state and the numbers you gave would be more accurate.

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

            Bemidji State is currently ~ $15,000 a year. My wife graduated from NMU 13 years ago with > $20,000 in student loans, and my sister paid ~ $25,000 a year to attend Vanderbilt over 15 years ago (add in tuition + room & board increases and Vandy is now over $52,000 a year ).

            All this said, I don't understand how it's even a discussion. Get (even a partial) NCAA scholarship, go to school and get an education and try to play in the NHL. Hey, look at it this way:

            http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=3994262

            (I know this is ~ 5 year old, but look at this data) 5% chance of making the NHL? Get an education!
            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

            AHA:
            B1G: UMinn, UWisc
            ECAC:
            HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
            NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
            WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

            Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

              Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Perhaps one of these schools would be willing to get a team together, especially if there is a college in Tampa; there's already the Lightning Classic tournament there.
              Didn't that tournament go by the wayside when the Lightning management reneged, forcing ND to relocate to the arena in Hoffman Estates IL?
              Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
              Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

              But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

              Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                Didn't that tournament go by the wayside when the Lightning management reneged, forcing ND to relocate to the arena in Hoffman Estates IL?
                I'm not sure; alls I know is that RPI participated in the 2007-08 season. I have no recollection as to whether or not the tournament is still being played.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                  Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                  Didn't that tournament go by the wayside when the Lightning management reneged, forcing ND to relocate to the arena in Hoffman Estates IL?
                  I can't remember if it was TB or FLA that effed that up. However, it resulted in me being able to attend, and the players getting to attend the Winter Classic at Wrigley!
                  Don't you wish your blogger was hot like me?

                  "I'd rather be in a porn with DHG than DG." --Dirty

                  "I'm not a sex offender, I'm a sex... defender." --Biddco

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                    Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                    Bemidji State is currently ~ [URL="http://www.bemidjistate.edu/admissions/undergrad/explore/costs/tuition/"]All this said, I don't understand how it's even a discussion. Get (even a partial) NCAA scholarship, go to school and get an education and try to play in the NHL. Hey, look at it this way:

                    http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=3994262

                    (I know this is ~ 5 year old, but look at this data) 5% chance of making the NHL? Get an education!
                    So what is the difference between a "partial" NCAA scholarship and one offered by the CHL??? None really as both routes will require you to pay for a substantial amount of your schooling if you are intent on attending a Notre Dame or a Boston University.

                    The elite players of course will receive a full ride, whether or not they choose to attend the NCAA or opt for the CHL route. If you or so concerned about a player’s "education" then it should be directed at the minor pro leagues who actively recruit CHL players in order to stock their rosters. You should be saying, stay in school, use your CHL education package, play in the CIS and then go on to the pros if so desired.

                    Instead you simply bash the CHL...for what? For giving players an opportunity of receiving a paid education if they so desire. For increasing scholarships (and the numbers using them) year after year? For being much more flexible than the NCAA and at least allowing their players to sign minor pro contracts and play for up to 18 months (to experience the life) and then being able to go back to school.

                    Of course we know the real issue here isn't about "education" but rather the growing number of high end Americans who are choosing the CHL route over the NCAA and the dwindling number of Canadians who are even bothering to look at the NCAA option.

                    Paul Kelly can beat his chest all he wants, but his impact will be negligible.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                      Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                      That depends on the school. I know BU, Northeastern, and BC would each be at least 40K+ to anyone when you include room and board and meal plan and BU is probably closer to 45K+ and gives very little financial aid. Compare this to say a MN school with in state and the numbers you gave would be more accurate.

                      This is for BU, 09/10
                      They meet 91% of need, les then 65% apply for thus numbers off.
                      This is no top of scholarships and awards based on performance. Which is also very high

                      no one is paying 40K+ to go to BU if they need aid.


                      Financial Aid Statistics
                      Full-time freshman enrollment: 4,130
                      Number who applied for need-based aid: 2,497
                      Number who were judged to have need: 2,065
                      Number who were offered aid: 2,063
                      Number who had full need met: 1,171
                      Average percent of need met: 91%
                      Average financial aid package: $35,431
                      Average need-based loan: $6,331
                      Average need-based scholarship or grant award: $24,183
                      Average non-need based aid: $18,862
                      Average indebtedness at graduation: $30,998

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                        Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        This is for BU, 09/10
                        They meet 91% of need, les then 65% apply for thus numbers off.
                        This is no top of scholarships and awards based on performance. Which is also very high

                        no one is paying 40K+ to go to BU if they need aid.

                        That is not true. I know plenty of people that are paying 40K+ at BU and need aid. I know some people there right now only in Sophomore year and owe over 30K+ in loans already. Pretty much every private school in the Boston area has students deeply in debt except for Harvard which gives out a ton of aid.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                          Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                          That is not true. I know plenty of people that are paying 40K+ at BU and need aid. I know some people there right now only in Sophomore year and owe over 30K+ in loans already. Pretty much every private school in the Boston area has students deeply in debt except for Harvard which gives out a ton of aid.
                          well call us news first, boston globe second and tell they they are lying.

                          problem is many parents making combined income of over 200K, 300 to 500K in equity in house etc and want to go for free.

                          Tough, they are not and have to pay. If they need aid, they are full of crap

                          Thats why the schools have agencies outside the schools calculate it

                          "needing" aid is arelative phrase.

                          Show one article that is unbiased that backs your point. None exist because it is not true. Problem is eevryone, regardless of situation wants free money

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                            Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                            Instead you simply bash the CHL...for what? For giving players an opportunity of receiving a paid education if they so desire. For increasing scholarships (and the numbers using them) year after year? For being much more flexible than the NCAA and at least allowing their players to sign minor pro contracts and play for up to 18 months (to experience the life) and then being able to go back to school.

                            Of course we know the real issue here isn't about "education" but rather the growing number of high end Americans who are choosing the CHL route over the NCAA and the dwindling number of Canadians who are even bothering to look at the NCAA option.

                            jnacc, I'm not sure I understand why you continue to build strawman arguments. No one is bashing the CHL. The arguments that most people here seem to be making is that in reality, very few CHL players take advantage of the education package. Even fewer graduate. Essentially all NCAA players "take advantage" of the opportunity to get an education, and a majority (over 90%, I think) graduate with a Bachelor's degree. The real issue here absolutely is education. NCAA kids get an education. CHL players don't, in general. The payout rate is around 18% in the CHL, while it's close to 100% in college. The Kitchener Rangers expect to pay out about $72k this year. CC (the school I follow) will pay out somewhere in the neighborhood of $45k*18=$810k. Even a state school that charges $15k a year would pay out about $270k per year.

                            But the money is secondary. The hoops that each organization makes players jump through is irrelevent. The absolute bottom line, as I see it, is that the CHL is making a big deal of convincing kids that they can get the best of both worlds - hockey that will prepare them for the NHL and a college degree if they don't make it. That's their story. The absolute reality, no matter how you want to spin it, is that simply doesn't happen for the majority of CHL players. If you want great hockey AND you want an education, NCAA hockey is the right choice.

                            That's not to say that the CHL is a bad choice or to bash the CHL. For the first-round NHL draft picks - the CHL may be the best choice. For guys who don't want to go to college - the CHL may be the best choice. However, for a kid who really wants to play hockey at the highest level AND ALSO wants an education, just look at the number of players who earn their degree playing in the NCAA vs. the number who earn their degree after playing in the CHL.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                              Originally posted by Rich View Post
                              jnacc, I'm not sure I understand why you continue to build strawman arguments. No one is bashing the CHL. The arguments that most people here seem to be making is that in reality, very few CHL players take advantage of the education package. Even fewer graduate. Essentially all NCAA players "take advantage" of the opportunity to get an education, and a majority (over 90%, I think) graduate with a Bachelor's degree. The real issue here absolutely is education. NCAA kids get an education. CHL players don't, in general. The payout rate is around 18% in the CHL, while it's close to 100% in college. The Kitchener Rangers expect to pay out about $72k this year. CC (the school I follow) will pay out somewhere in the neighborhood of $45k*18=$810k. Even a state school that charges $15k a year would pay out about $270k per year.

                              But the money is secondary. The hoops that each organization makes players jump through is irrelevent. The absolute bottom line, as I see it, is that the CHL is making a big deal of convincing kids that they can get the best of both worlds - hockey that will prepare them for the NHL and a college degree if they don't make it. That's their story. The absolute reality, no matter how you want to spin it, is that simply doesn't happen for the majority of CHL players. If you want great hockey AND you want an education, NCAA hockey is the right choice.

                              That's not to say that the CHL is a bad choice or to bash the CHL. For the first-round NHL draft picks - the CHL may be the best choice. For guys who don't want to go to college - the CHL may be the best choice. However, for a kid who really wants to play hockey at the highest level AND ALSO wants an education, just look at the number of players who earn their degree playing in the NCAA vs. the number who earn their degree after playing in the CHL.
                              Couldn't have said it better myself.
                              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

                              AHA:
                              B1G: UMinn, UWisc
                              ECAC:
                              HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
                              NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                              WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

                              Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                                Originally posted by Rich View Post
                                jnacc, I'm not sure I understand why you continue to build strawman arguments. No one is bashing the CHL. The arguments that most people here seem to be making is that in reality, very few CHL players take advantage of the education package. Even fewer graduate.
                                There were hundreds of former CHL players in the CIS last year, having their school paid for by their former CHL clubs. So please stop saying very few take advantage of the packages. Secondly, how do you know "even fewer" graduate? Where are your sources?

                                The Kitchener Rangers expect to pay out about $72k this year. CC (the school I follow) will pay out somewhere in the neighborhood of $45k*18=$810k. Even a state school that charges $15k a year would pay out about $270k per year.
                                All the more pity for us that we are being fleeced by our higher Ed institutions for increasingly less relevant degrees. Props to the Canadians for keeping their costs down, where 7000k is more than enough to cover a year of schooling. What would you have Kitchener say...."hey I know they are being over charged in Colorado so here's an extra 10K to make you feel better"...PLEASE!

                                The absolute bottom line, as I see it, is that the CHL is making a big deal of convincing kids that they can get the best of both worlds - hockey that will prepare them for the NHL and a college degree if they don't make it. That's their story. The absolute reality, no matter how you want to spin it, is that simply doesn't happen for the majority of CHL players. If you want great hockey AND you want an education, NCAA hockey is the right choice
                                First off you place far too much importance on a general degree. Tell me, who will earn more over a life time...sociology major (or English, History, General Business, General Studies...you get the point here) or a person who goes to a tech school to become vocationally certified? The reality is that simply having an "education" is not enough anymore. It is about having the right education. One is not a failure because he does not go to a 4 year degree granting institution to collect a liberal arts degree, one may be more of a success because he chose a field more in tuned with his aptitudes and one more relevant to the modern job market. Tell me,(or ask Paul Kelly for me), how many current NCAA players are enrolled in health related programs(not including exercise Science and the like), Engineering majors, Computer Sciences or the hard core Sciences? I'll bet you that the number is very very low!

                                The reality is that the CHL does indeed offer educational packages. The fact of the matter is that more and more CHL players are tapping into them. This is having a very detrimental impact on the recruiting practices of the NCAA. Sure the NCAA can jump and scream and speculate that the CHL education practices are a scam but it will not change the reality nor will it help in an increasingly losing battle against the CHL.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X