Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

    RPI's current Californians (minus recruits, as I do not recall where they are from) include forward Josh Rabbani and 3rd string goaltender Joe Harkenrider. It may be possible an incoming recruit is from California which would make 3; perhaps RB could shed some light on this.

    Not only California, but there's likely also a decent influx of players from Florida as well. I believe this coming up year, RPI will have 2 players from Boca Raton. Perhaps one of these schools would be willing to get a team together, especially if there is a college in Tampa; there's already the Lightning Classic tournament there.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

      Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      RPI's current Californians (minus recruits, as I do not recall where they are from) include forward Josh Rabbani and 3rd string goaltender Joe Harkenrider. It may be possible an incoming recruit is from California which would make 3; perhaps RB could shed some light on this.

      Not only California, but there's likely also a decent influx of players from Florida as well. I believe this coming up year, RPI will have 2 players from Boca Raton. Perhaps one of these schools would be willing to get a team together, especially if there is a college in Tampa; there's already the Lightning Classic tournament there.
      None of the recruits are from California. I am probably forgetting someone, but the only previous player from CA that I recall is Keith MCWilliams.
      sigpic

      Let's Go 'Tute!

      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

      2012 Poser Of The Year

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

        The one stat in the presentation that really jumped out at me was that if you take the 16% of CHL players who get a college degree, and you add in the 5% of of CHL players who eventually see the NHL and add them together, there are still 79-80% of of CHL players who don't get to the NHL and don't get a degree, either. That's a huge number of players.

        In the NCAA, 84% get a degreee and 5% get to the NHL, so there is only about 10% who don't get one or the other.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

          Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          The one stat in the presentation that really jumped out at me was that if you take the 16% of CHL players who get a college degree, and you add in the 5% of of CHL players who eventually see the NHL and add them together, there are still 79-80% of of CHL players who don't get to the NHL and don't get a degree, either. That's a huge number of players.

          In the NCAA, 84% get a degreee and 5% get to the NHL, so there is only about 10% who don't get one or the other.
          A more interesting stat would be the $. For example how much does the average CHL player make over the course of their career including hockey compared to an NCAA player.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

            Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
            A more interesting stat would be the $. For example how much does the average CHL player make over the course of their career including hockey compared to an NCAA player.
            This would be fascinating - you could then normalize by taking out all of the NHL salaries (for both NCAA and Major Junior) since the great majority never see the show.

            The Result = The Average Lifetime Revenue a hockey player can expect to realize by choosing the NCAA vs Major Junior.

            It would be very tough to get this data, but I would bet that it would drastically slant the stats to the college route.

            You could back into the data by using averages (what is the average salary in each Canada and the USA for those with and without a college degree and then it becomes a simple multiplication exercise).

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

              Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              None of the recruits are from California. I am probably forgetting someone, but the only previous player from CA that I recall is Keith MCWilliams.
              Pickett.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                You could probably also include the 3 colleges in Colorado as part of the list of current opportunity (even if one of them is a military academy); perhaps Puck Swami could enlighten us on how many Calfornia players CC or DU generally attempts to recruit. Granted, expansion to California would likely mean we'd have to reinstate the CHA, and unless we have at least 4 more new teams, I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.
                Ha. Bemidji and AF leaving the CHA killed college hockey expansion. (No, not women's sports, as many would like to believe.)

                Brett Hextall is "from" California but he's not your typical California player.
                Don't you wish your blogger was hot like me?

                "I'd rather be in a porn with DHG than DG." --Dirty

                "I'm not a sex offender, I'm a sex... defender." --Biddco

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                  Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
                  Ha. Bemidji and AF leaving the CHA killed college hockey expansion. (No, not women's sports, as many would like to believe.)
                  Not really. Lack of a conference is a hurdle, but one that could be worked around. Title IX rules absolutely can't be worked around. There's a lot of schools very open to the idea of adding a men's team since it can be a revenue-generating sport, but no one can afford the financial black hole of a women's team necessary to comply with the law.

                  Whatever you want to believe, that's the truth of the situation.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

                  Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

                  Western College Hockey Blog

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                    Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Why not Powerpoint a college photo of Toews to drive home the point to the kids that college is REALLY fun?
                    *****http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hxBuvxzvvVE/SdqD9OqwQiI/AAAAAAAADkA/VUa1dCLkd9Q/s400/Alcoholic+Toews.jpg******
                    Shouldn't they be using Frattin or Oshie instead?

                    Originally posted by Rich View Post
                    CC had 3 last year - Vlassopolous, Marciano, Quilico
                    I knew Vlassopolous was, but when I quick checked DU and CC's 09-10 rosters from last year on USCHO, and all I did was just glance for "Calif.", Andreas wasn't on there anymore.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

                    Best USCHO quotes to date:

                    "UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

                    "It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

                    "I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                      Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                      Shouldn't they be using Frattin or Oshie instead?
                      Because getting busted isn't fun?
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                        Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
                        Ha. Bemidji and AF leaving the CHA killed college hockey expansion.
                        Good lord, learn some history before blaming BSU for killing the CHA:

                        2007 - Air Force leaves for AHA
                        2008 - Wayne State dropps hockey, leaving the conference with 4 teams
                        Jan 2009 - AHA accepts Niagara and RMU (down to two!)
                        July 2009 - WCHA accepts BSU

                        Amazing how the last thing on that list is the first your blame for the death of "college hockey expansion" (yeah, like BSU was gonna try to play in a two team conference ) The writing was on the wall for a while, but AFA leaving was the blow that couldn't be overcome.
                        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

                        AHA:
                        B1G: UMinn, UWisc
                        ECAC:
                        HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
                        NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                        WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

                        Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                          Given Bemidji's nickname, it's surprising how much RWD hates them.
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                            Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                            Good lord, learn some history before blaming BSU for killing the CHA:

                            2007 - Air Force leaves for AHA
                            2008 - Wayne State dropps hockey, leaving the conference with 4 teams
                            Jan 2009 - AHA accepts Niagara and RMU (down to two!)
                            July 2009 - WCHA accepts BSU
                            You forgot:

                            2000 - Army leaves for the MAAC
                            2004 - Findlay "dropps" hockey, leaving the conference with 5 teams before Robert Morris came and saved the day
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                              Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                              You forgot:

                              2000 - Army leaves for the MAAC
                              2004 - Findlay "dropps" hockey, leaving the conference with 5 teams before Robert Morris came and saved the day
                              I didn't forget - Army never felt like a CHA team, as the one year they were a member, they only played half a schedule anyway (two games vs. each team - and they only won one of those 10 games - plus I just looked - USCHO doesn't even have them as a CHA team for '99-'00 ).

                              Then, the CHA was only theoretically down to 5 teams when Findlay dropped hockey, since RMU was added the next year. Like I noted, once AFA left, and the conference was actually down to 5 did it seem like the end was near and more so after Wayne left). Before 2007, it seemed plauseable that someone would add hockey (hey, RMU had done so just a few years before) and "save" the CHA...
                              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

                              AHA:
                              B1G: UMinn, UWisc
                              ECAC:
                              HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
                              NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                              WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

                              Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: How College Hockey Inc. sells our game vs Major Junior...

                                Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                                I didn't forget - Army never felt like a CHA team, as the one year they were a member, they only played half a schedule anyway (two games vs. each team - and they only won one of those 10 games - plus I just looked - USCHO doesn't even have them as a CHA team for '99-'00 ).
                                And USCHO is never wrong? Fact is, CHA was once a 7-team league. That's a lot stronger position to be in than the way they lived most of their existence.

                                Then, the CHA was only theoretically down to 5 teams when Findlay dropped hockey, since RMU was added the next year. Like I noted, once AFA left, and the conference was actually down to 5 did it seem like the end was near and more so after Wayne left). Before 2007, it seemed plauseable that someone would add hockey (hey, RMU had done so just a few years before) and "save" the CHA...
                                RMU was destined for AHA from the get-go before Findlay dropped. CHA lucked out in that they were willing to change their plans on short notice and keep them afloat for a few years. The Findlay saga was a harbinger and certainly part of the league's demise.

                                It was never plausible that a team would up and form a team to come to the CHA's aid. We hear time and again of so and so school thinking about starting up a program, and that's when it ends. Do you know why? It's because ice hockey is cost-prohibitive. You have to be willing to sink a lot of money into start-up. For every Robert Morris out there, there are a million Kennesaw State, Missouri-St. Louis, Lindenwood, Liberty... (shall I continue?)
                                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X