Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 regionals awarded

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
    And all of this only takes the local fans into account. I'm pretty sure non-locals, who would most likely have to fly in, would rather see games in Boston or Manchester.
    Exactly, you have a huge metropolitan area that contains lots of hockey fans and big time hockey schools, why go 100 miles away from that to a sparsely populated area with one school that casually cares about hockey and an average facility?
    time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
      When that 94 miles can take 4 hours if you there's an accident on the Mass Pike, yes, it's too far. Especially when there are far better options that are less than half that distance. Why travel into the middle of nowhere with a small, albeit very nice, town when you can stay in the Boston/Manchester area?
      Not to nitpick, but this digression stemmed from discussion of a Regional being at UMass. In that case, there would only be one other site in the Northeast with any college hockey going on at all. So having a myriad of choices of hockey games to attend, while the normal way of things in N.E., does not apply in this case.

Plus, I think there is a slight disconnect here. When I refer to 94 (or 320) miles not being very far, I'm not talking about "commuting" to any number of games after work and coming home right afterwards (like you folks in N.E. are so fortunate to be able to do most weekends). I was referring to going on a "road trip" to see a regional, or a big road game/series. For most of us who reside West of the Massachusetts and Connecticut borders, this means spending the night (or two, if you're lucky) a lot of the time. In a case like this for me at least, 94 miles is stupid short; 320 miles is still well within reason; 500 miles begins to push the envelope a little but is do-able. I'm guessing our far Western brethren may have larger numbers that they would do.
      Can't we all just get along?
      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
        Not to nitpick, but this digression stemmed from discussion of a Regional being at UMass. In that case, there would only be one other site in the Northeast with any college hockey going on at all. So having a myriad of choices of hockey games to attend, while the normal way of things in N.E., does not apply in this case.

Plus, I think there is a slight disconnect here. When I refer to 94 (or 320) miles not being very far, I'm not talking about "commuting" to any number of games after work and coming home right afterwards (like you folks in N.E. are so fortunate to be able to do most weekends). I was referring to going on a "road trip" to see a regional, or a big road game/series. For most of us who reside West of the Massachusetts and Connecticut borders, this means spending the night (or two, if you're lucky) a lot of the time. In a case like this for me at least, 94 miles is stupid short; 320 miles is still well within reason; 500 miles begins to push the envelope a little but is do-able. I'm guessing our far Western brethren may have larger numbers that they would do.
        That's a good point. Figure that regional games would be at 5 and 8 p.m. (or earlier), and there goes the "stuck in traffic" problem of leaving at 3-4 p.m. let alone if it's a Sat.-Sun. series). Stay the night (enjoy the bars) and go to the regional final the next day...
        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
        ECAC:
        HEA: UMass
        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
          Where would you rather spend the weekend: Amherst or Manchester? Amherst or Boston?

As you say, 94 miles is "stupid short", so, even if you're driving to the Regional, why not drive that extra "stupid short" distance and not be in the middle of nowhere?

And, if you're flying to the regional, you're probably going to fly into either Manchester, Boston, or possibly Providence. Why leave any of those cities to drive to the middle of nowhere, when there are viable options much closer?
          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
          -Fred Shero

Comment

Where would you rather spend the weekend: Amherst or Manchester? Amherst or Boston?

As you say, 94 miles is "stupid short", so, even if you're driving to the Regional, why not drive that extra "stupid short" distance and not be in the middle of nowhere?

And, if you're flying to the regional, you're probably going to fly into either Manchester, Boston, or possibly Providence. Why leave any of those cities to drive to the middle of nowhere, when there are viable options much closer?
            Based on everything I've read, I'd probably prefer Amherst because you'll be too lazy to be there. This ridiculous, I doubt there is anything wrong with Amherst and I'm sure being that there is a major college there that there will be ladies at the bar. What more do I really want? I bet I could get drunk for less $$$ in Amherst than boston. I really dont like the spending $7-8 for a mixed drink like I did in DC.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Based on everything I've read, I'd probably prefer Amherst because you'll be too lazy to be there. This ridiculous, I doubt there is anything wrong with Amherst and I'm sure being that there is a major college there that there will be ladies at the bar. What more do I really want? I bet I could get drunk for less $$$ in Amherst than boston. I really dont like the spending $7-8 for a mixed drink like I did in DC.
              Yeah, I'm really afraid of a long drive. My argument has nothing to do with me (I was there in '05, and have driven longer distances to watch single games; hell, did essentially a quick trip from NH to UND to watch two games there). I am honored, though, that you would go to a regional specifically because you think I wouldn't be there. Who knew I held so much power?

Though, I guess using the "it's in the middle of nowhere" argument with people who already live in the middle of nowhere is a bit foolish, isn't it?

So, how about this - let's disregard the location of the rink, and focus on what we saw in 2005. It was empty, there was no atmosphere. The rink is large, but not well-suited for hockey. The concessions ran out of food (somewhat shocking, as the building seemed empty). Poorly run regional, in a mediocre rink.

As for the ladies at the bar, it's a fair point, since there are no colleges in Boston.

Drink prices may be a little higher, but that depends on where you go. There are reasonably-priced places in Boston. Providence, Worcester, and Manchester I would argue would be comparable to Amherst (it's not like they give it away there). And, of course, you can always buy your own; that's the cheapest option, even in Amherst.
              Last edited by thecomicbookguy; 07-01-2010, 09:57 AM.
              Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
              -Fred Shero

Comment

Cockgoblin whiners. All of you.
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Yeah, I'm really afraid of a long drive. My argument has nothing to do with me (I was there in '05, and have driven longer distances to watch single games; hell, did essentially a quick trip from NH to UND to watch two games there). I am honored, though, that you would go to a regional specifically because you think I wouldn't be there. Who knew I held so much power?

Though, I guess using the "it's in the middle of nowhere" argument with people who already live in the middle of nowhere is a bit foolish, isn't it?

So, how about this - let's disregard the location of the rink, and focus on what we saw in 2005. It was empty, there was no atmosphere. The rink is large, but not well-suited for hockey. The concessions ran out of food (somewhat shocking, as the building seemed empty). Poorly run regional, in a mediocre rink.

As for the ladies at the bar, it's a fair point, since there are no colleges in Boston.

Drink prices may be a little higher, but that depends on where you go. There are reasonably-priced places in Boston. Providence, Worcester, and Manchester I would argue would be comparable to Amherst (it's not like they give it away there). And, of course, you can always buy your own; that's the cheapest option, even in Amherst.
                  I just meant that there will still be college age ladies at the bar. It won't be like going to some random town that has no college hoping to find attractive ladies.

As for your middle of nowhere comment. I guess that covers just about everything in flyover country?
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                    Cockgoblin whiners. All of you.
                    Seriously. Complaining about the price of drinks? Ridiculous.
                    -Fred Shero

Comment

Seriously. Complaining about the price of drinks? Ridiculous.
                      I never said I wouldn't go to Boston, I'm just saying I don't see the BFD with going to Amherst.

Hell I was contemplating going to a home/home series between Sacred Heart and AIC last year just so my friends and I could take over the AIC arena.

Comment

This week's sign that apocalypse is upon us.

Never thought I'd see a day when someone from New Hampshire can feel fortunate (and rightfully so) for being in a civilzed area of the country after listening to people from the west complain about what a 'long ride' is.

I've been to Amherst once. Won't go back unless it's for a regional involving BC.
                        Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 07-01-2010, 10:08 AM.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Hell I was contemplating going to a home/home series between Sacred Heart and AIC last year just so my friends and I could take over the AIC arena.
                          That would have been a real life accomplishment. I hope one day I can set high goals like this for myself.
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            Never thought I'd see a day when someone from New Hampshire can feel fortunate (and rightfully so) for being in a civilzed area of the country after listening to people from the west complain about what a 'long ride' is.
                            Westerners weren't complaining. They were laughing at you flaming dooshwagons who think walking to your mailbox is a long trip.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I never said I wouldn't go to Boston, I'm just saying I don't see the BFD with going to Amherst.
                              The "BFD" is that there are better options in the region.
                              -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                                Westerners weren't complaining. They were laughing at you flaming dooshwagons who think walking to your mailbox is a long trip.
                                Correct. My apologies. They are complaining about easterners complaining about a trip to Amherst being a long drive.

It's part of an interwoven set of things that show a fundamental difference in thinking from Hockey East territory to no man's land. Adding to the long drive argument, we also have the stipulations for considering what makes a city great (there are no dumps according to the midwestern folks because all you need is some restaurants to satisfy folks out there which pretty much rules out every town in America). When you consider that people from civilized Hockey East areas think Amherst is a dump (or slightly less at best), it complicates matters so much more because you add in what is WORTH the drive out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X