Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ccha 2010-2011

Originally posted by Twisted Wrister View Post
    I'll admit that I am being optimistic, but every year the middle cluster of teams are close, jocketing for position. An ugly goal here, dumb penalty there, blow call by the linesman or someone coming out of nowhere scoring a ton of goals always make a difference in the standings, OSU finishing 6th is not out of the question, 5th or better, that is pushing it. It could be worse.

Fair enough. But you got to admit 6th is extremely optomistic based on all that has gone against them in the offseason. You're right a team usually does jump up from last season but Ohio St. would be about 3rd or 4th on the list based on their roster. Notre Dame would be tops on that list with Michigan 2nd.

Its tough to be overly optomistic about a team when they lose 70% of their offense, don't bring in a high profile recruit, and ask guys to do things they have never done. Especially when your asking K. Reed to put up 20 + pts and double digit goals when his numbers have gone down every season.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Its pretty hard to pick any pre-season predictions as to where everyone will finish, too many teams with question marks. Can NMU get some goaltending? Can UAF score with the losses up front they've had? Can Jeff Jackson get the kids in South Bend under control? How will Osiecki do with not much offensive talent, although he's more of a D coach? How much will the early departures hurt the Spartans? Will Bergeron or Brekke be able to do anything with the teams they inherited?

The only things I see right now are; Miami runs away with the title again. They return the bulk of their scoring from last season (only losing Palmer and Wingels), but also have their entire D corps as soph/juniors now (except LoVerde), and 2 of the 3 goalies last year to have sub 2.00 GAAs. Michigan will finish second, again returning most of their offense from a season ago, but lost some key men on the blueline. And they have a much harder schedule than Miami in conference
      Last edited by mcfarljd; 07-28-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
        Its pretty hard to pick any pre-season predictions as to where everyone will finish, too many teams with question marks. Can NMU get some goaltending? Can UAF score with the losses up front they've had? Can Jeff Jackson get the kids in South Bend under control? How will Osiecki do with not much offensive talent, although he's more of a D coach? How much will the early departures hurt the Spartans? Will Bergeron or Brekke be able to do anything with the teams they inherited?

The only things I see right now are; Miami runs away with the title again. They return the bulk of their scoring from last season (only losing Palmer and Wingels), but also have their entire D corps as soph/juniors now (except LoVerde), and 2 of the 3 goalies last year to have sub 2.00 GAAs. Michigan will finish second, again returning most of their offense from a season ago, but lost some key men on the blueline. And they have a much harder schedule than Miami in conference
        Fact check: Brekke is still an assistant at Miami, Jeff Blashill took over at western and is who you are most likely refering to.

Not a whole lot of questions there in your first paragraph, jd. The early departures will hurt MSU, BG and Western are bare, OSU will go through a transition period with little offense and a D changing a system, Alaska returns their top scorer and have talent still there. NMU's is the only question mark, lossing Olver will hurt but not sure how much stewarts departure will hurt them. He was pretty bad at times last year. Got confidence in Kyle to keep things in line there.
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

...Can NMU get some goaltending?
          Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
          ...NMU's is the only question mark, lossing Olver will hurt but not sure how much stewarts departure will hurt them.
          Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          Northern needs a goaltender. They may have one, but nothing is proven yet.
          We're going on a decade of needing one. This isn't some new revelation for the program.
          Redhawkman at least started to go down the right road.

The biggest question will be defense. Having Gustafsson leave early along with Dorich (a quiet shutdown d-man) and Miller (Gustafsson's mirror) graduate took a lot off the blue line. Our top d-pairing is going to be Fernandez and Spady.

Offense and goaltending aren't the key points. While the loss of Olver will be noticed, we seemed to do okay when Darin Olver left. And Santorelli. And before them Gobert+Coburn+Stutzel. And JP Vigier before that. Finding someone in the weeds to put the puck in the net isn't a problem.

Goaltending has been spotty (as I pointed out) for well over a decade. You had Kowalski who pitched the current team shutout record, but couldn't keep he legs closed for other games. Tarkki was just coming into his own, but that was as a senior. Zaniboni had the same problems as Kowalski. And Stewart, he was a basket-case with the same hot one weekend, ice cold the next, problems. Again, no problem finding someone in the weeds to stop the puck.

Defense is THE question that needs to be solved by NMU. But go ahead and be more concerned about the goaltending and offense...
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Was using phone earlier so brekke was a mistake on my part. I knew he hadn't left just didn't notice I wrote that. Otherwise with those questions about each team that's why I don't think you can really peg anyone from probably 3rd to 10th. I wouldn't be that surprised with any of the schools getting a bye unless it was western or bg

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Redhawkman at least started to go down the right road.

The biggest question will be defense. Having Gustafsson leave early along with Dorich (a quiet shutdown d-man) and Miller (Gustafsson's mirror) graduate took a lot off the blue line. Our top d-pairing is going to be Fernandez and Spady.

Offense and goaltending aren't the key points. While the loss of Olver will be noticed, we seemed to do okay when Darin Olver left. And Santorelli. And before them Gobert+Coburn+Stutzel. And JP Vigier before that. Finding someone in the weeds to put the puck in the net isn't a problem.

Goaltending has been spotty (as I pointed out) for well over a decade. You had Kowalski who pitched the current team shutout record, but couldn't keep he legs closed for other games. Tarkki was just coming into his own, but that was as a senior. Zaniboni had the same problems as Kowalski. And Stewart, he was a basket-case with the same hot one weekend, ice cold the next, problems. Again, no problem finding someone in the weeds to stop the puck.

Defense is THE question that needs to be solved by NMU. But go ahead and be more concerned about the goaltending and offense...
              See atleast I was on the right direction...I just didn't finish it lol. Goaltending wasn't strong consistantly last year and NMU made the tourny, I think Walt Kyle has proven things will be just fine in the UP.

Was using phone earlier so brekke was a mistake on my part. I knew he hadn't left just didn't notice I wrote that. Otherwise with those questions about each team that's why I don't think you can really peg anyone from probably 3rd to 10th. I wouldn't be that surprised with any of the schools getting a bye unless it was western or bg
              Yea we have seen how you and your phone don't get along. lol

Thing is the "questions" you put out there aren't really questions, there are answers for them which is why it is pretty clear where majority of teams will fall this year. Always going to be a team that steps up from where they were last year, but even that is pretty clear on which team it will probably be either Notre Dame or Michigan. Can't go off the unknown got to look at facts and stats and it makes things pretty simple.

Comment

See atleast I was on the right direction...I just didn't finish it lol. Goaltending wasn't strong consistantly last year and NMU made the tourny, I think Walt Kyle has proven things will be just fine in the UP.

Yea we have seen how you and your phone don't get along. lol

Thing is the "questions" you put out there aren't really questions, there are answers for them which is why it is pretty clear where majority of teams will fall this year. Always going to be a team that steps up from where they were last year, but even that is pretty clear on which team it will probably be either Notre Dame or Michigan. Can't go off the unknown got to look at facts and stats and it makes things pretty simple.
                If its pretty simple then I'm curious as to where you predict the teams to finish then 1-11.

Comment

I'll take a run at this:

1) Miami
                  2) Michigan
                  3) Alaska
                  4) MSU
                  5) Notre Dame
                  6) NMU
                  7) OSU
                  8) FSU
                  9) WMU
                  10) LSSU
                  11) BG

The 4 teams at the Joe: Miami, Michigan, NMU and MSU, although I know better than to bet against a Jeff Jackson team.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

If its pretty simple then I'm curious as to where you predict the teams to finish then 1-11.
                    1. Miami- Too much talent
                    2. Michigan- goaltending will be a question mark but will score plenty
                    3. Alaska- return 4 of top 5 scorers with a great system
                    4. Notre Dame- too much talent on the roster not to rebound
                    5. Michigan St.- Depth is a question mark but think they will be in the hunt with what they return
                    6. Northern Michigan- Some key losses will drop them a bit but Walt makes his classic post season run
                    7. Ferris st.- Great back line, will struggle to score goals but stopping them won't be an issue
                    8. Ohio St.- A lot going against them, lose of a ton of offense and a change at the top points towards a rebuilding year
                    9. Lake st.- Not a whole lot hanging around this year
                    10. Bowling Green- two years away but will be much more competitive
                    11. Western Michigan- Same as above

Comment

Might as well take a stab, too...

1.) Miami U.
                      2.) Michigan
                      3.) Notre Dame
                      4.) Michigan State
                      5.) Alaska-Fairbanks
                      6.) Northern Michigan
                      7.) Ohio State
                      8.) Lake Superior
                      9.) Ferris State
                      10.) Bowling Green
                      11.) Western Michigan
                      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                      66 - 86 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by BGSU96 View Post
                        Hey Falcon Fanatic, do we know each other? Are you Falcon Fanatic on A-Z-Z?!?
                        Yup, that's me!

And to the posters who replied to my post: I never said we would be at the top (although, I am ALWAYS optimistic! ). I merely said that your predictions would be off quite a bit! I do not expect to be in the cellar this year!! I will be very thrilled with a continuation of the improvement we started to see last year (better effort, better attitude, not giving up when we go down a goal, games that were a LOT more fun to watch!). If these things continue to happen (and I KNOW they will under Bergeron), the wins will come!! And you never know, we may truly surprise a few people come playoff time!!

FALCON HOCKEY FOREVER!!!

Comment

Sitting back for awhile, watching what people know or dont know about BG, the 10 incoming freshman may surprise a few people. two pure scorers, two top end dmen and a very very solid goaltender. BG has also added size and maturity with most of the incoming being 21, most leaders of their teams. A little more experience here then most may know. Dont be suprised at .500 and take a night off against them, they may be a little better than you expected. I agree two years from now they will be very solid, but they will make noise this year and heads up after Christmas, Bergeron will have had 3-4months of his style of hockey. Dont take this tem for granted it may be a big game day mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by BG Falcons Fan View Post
                            Sitting back for awhile, watching what people know or dont know about BG, the 10 incoming freshman may surprise a few people. two pure scorers, two top end dmen and a very very solid goaltender. BG has also added size and maturity with most of the incoming being 21, most leaders of their teams. A little more experience here then most may know. Dont be suprised at .500 and take a night off against them, they may be a little better than you expected. I agree two years from now they will be very solid, but they will make noise this year and heads up after Christmas, Bergeron will have had 3-4months of his style of hockey. Dont take this tem for granted it may be a big game day mistake.
                            Here is the problem with your post, and I highlighted it. If you are rely on freshmen to produce your in trouble. Listen I am with you on the improvement of BG, I know coach and have for 15 years. He will turn it around but just like when he and Rico took over at Miami they struggled for 2 years getting their guys in and getting guys to buy into the system. There will be current guys at BG that won't like the change and it could be an issue, don't underestimate that. They will be more competitive but the problem is, and all you can go off of, is the lack of talent turn over on the current roster. There will be freshmen that surprise people but you can't count on freshmen because the college game is extremely different than juniors. Based on that you can expect them to be competitive but they don't have an experienced goal scorer and struggled in net last year. There are 8 teams that are far superior than them which is why they will finish in the bottom half again. It just comes down to talent plain and simple, but that will and has improved already if you look at two commits they have gotten for the future.

Comment

If you are rely on freshmen to produce your in trouble.
                              I don't think this is necessarily true. BG has a host of issues and a lot of work to do, but since they have no where to go but up, lots of new blood isn't a bad thing.

Notre Dame's hockey history was pretty much non-existent in 2004 and David Brown, a freshman netminder, led them to a 20 win season and their first NCAA bid. He won 14 times in 26 games, more as a Freshman than he did in 46 games combined as a Sophomore and Junior. Notre Dame relied heavily upon him in his first season. And in 2007 a number of freshmen, most notably Kevin Deeth, Ryan Thang, and Kyle Lawson, helped Notre Dame secure their first banners of any kind. In fact Thang and Deeth never came close to the impact they had as rookies. Deeth netted 17 goals as a Freshman, and only 18 more in his final 3 years. Thang put 20 away in his first season, never scored more in a season after that, and had only 19 goals over his final two seasons.

I agree that a heavy reliance on 10 freshmen would be a bit of a burden for BG, but over the years the CCHA has been littered with first year players who have had tremendous impact. An entire class of non-productive players, any class, is usually not a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                                I don't think this is necessarily true. BG has a host of issues and a lot of work to do, but since they have no where to go but up, lots of new blood isn't a bad thing.

Notre Dame's hockey history was pretty much non-existent in 2004 and David Brown, a freshman netminder, led them to a 20 win season and their first NCAA bid. He won 14 times in 26 games, more as a Freshman than he did in 46 games combined as a Sophomore and Junior. Notre Dame relied heavily upon him in his first season. And in 2007 a number of freshmen, most notably Kevin Deeth, Ryan Thang, and Kyle Lawson, helped Notre Dame secure their first banners of any kind. In fact Thang and Deeth never came close to the impact they had as rookies. Deeth netted 17 goals as a Freshman, and only 18 more in his final 3 years. Thang put 20 away in his first season, never scored more in a season after that, and had only 19 goals over his final two seasons.

I agree that a heavy reliance on 10 freshmen would be a bit of a burden for BG, but over the years the CCHA has been littered with first year players who have had tremendous impact. An entire class of non-productive players, any class, is usually not a good thing.
                                That was the point, especially on a class that doesn't have top flight talent. Notre Dame's case was different they had a very talented class that year and had some talented players around them to help as did Miami when they did it with a freshman goaltender and 5 freshman defensemen. Im not picking on BG, just being realistic. Bringing in 10 freshmen is a tall order when the talent remaining is mediocre. They will get better coaching for sure, but it still takes a while to get your system in place and have everyone buying in.

Comment

Working...
                                X