Ccha 2010-2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ccha 2010-2011

Yeah, it's going to take a couple of years to see results at BG, I think. You don't go from the cellar to fighting for a 1st round bye overnight. Especially with some of the bigger schools paying attention now.

As for us, I have no idea who's going to put the puck in the net. About 45% of our goalscoring graduated. We've got plenty of defense and goaltending, but we might be looking at a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 games, and I'm afraid we might be on the wrong end of most of those.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      Yeah, it's going to take a couple of years to see results at BG, I think. You don't go from the cellar to fighting for a 1st round bye overnight. Especially with some of the bigger schools paying attention now.

As for us, I have no idea who's going to put the puck in the net. About 45% of our goalscoring graduated. We've got plenty of defense and goaltending, but we might be looking at a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 games, and I'm afraid we might be on the wrong end of most of those.
      No offense but Michigan state did it from 2nd to last in 2008-09 and then what this past year...oh yeah 2nd

Comment

Yeah, but your program didn't spend the better half of a decade scraping your buttcheeks across the bottom of the CCHA standings, either. You're comparing apples to watermelons.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
          No offense but Michigan state did it from 2nd to last in 2008-09 and then what this past year...oh yeah 2nd
          Glad you got to pat yourself on the back with that one .

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Fanatic View Post
            All of you prognosticators can keep predicting BGSU to be at the bottom this year. It'll provide great motivation for our new coach! Given what I've seen from Chris Bergeron already, I'm sure your predictions will be quite a bit off!!

FALCON HOCKEY IS HERE TO STAY!!!
            It just doesn't seem plausible for them to crack the top 5. Nick Eno would have to become a superhuman almost overnight to help backstop them higher in the standings. Other than a few random flashes of brilliance I haven't seen much so far from him that would indicate he is capable of such.
            Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
              And yet they didn't make the tournament so what exactly did they accomplish?
              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                I admit I am biased (and perhaps wearing the rose-colored glasses of hope), but I think OSU will surprise some folks. They have a solid core of D-men and the potential for great goal tending, and I believe OZ will have them playing a style that will keep opponents off the board. Granted, the offense at OSU is a HUGE question mark, but if you only give up a goal or two per game you can be in every game.
                In his first season at Alaska, Ferguson looked at his team, didn't see any scocers and sold-out to defense. The Nanooks only gave up 4 or more goals just three times all season (twice to Ohio St.) and had a winning record. Buckeyes will have trouble scoring, but they have the goalie and blue liners to keep them in every game. I'll put them in the middle, 6th.

I think this could be the Wildcat's year. The Skin-Hawks second. Alaska, UM, Lake, OSU, Sparty, ND, Ferris, BG then Western.

Comment

WMU fans win the season because Culhane is no longer behind the bench. That is all.
                  Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                    Legit question...What is everyones facination with Ohio st....They return 1 guy who scored in double digits and lose their 3 best players. Got good goaltending but that is about it. Not trying to knock them it just doesn't make sense.

It's just a headscratcher
                    Somma will continue to score, Albert only had 6 goals last season, but he is one of the best skaters in the CCHA. Dries is an unknown quantity, will help.
                    K Reed is capable of stepping up his game. A bunch of Fresh turn into Sophomores, big jump. I still say 6th.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                      And yet they didn't make the tournament so what exactly did they accomplish?
                      Ha great point they kinda fell apart the last part of the season....

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Wrister View Post
                        In his first season at Alaska, Ferguson looked at his team, didn't see any scocers and sold-out to defense. The Nanooks only gave up 4 or more goals just three times all season (twice to Ohio St.) and had a winning record. Buckeyes will have trouble scoring, but they have the goalie and blue liners to keep them in every game. I'll put them in the middle, 6th.

I think this could be the Wildcat's year. The Skin-Hawks second. Alaska, UM, Lake, OSU, Sparty, ND, Ferris, BG then Western.

I support this post in optimism, but will be very ok with us finishing in the top three or four and making the tourney again.

Miami has to be the favorite, after that it is up for grabs. If you look at how up and down U of Michigan and MSU have been the past couple of seasons, along with Alaska being very decent of late, the standings 2-8 will likely be a surprising arrangement of every team beside UM (likely first), LSSU, WMU, and BGSU (bottom dwellers). Should be another marvelous year of college hockey!
                        Wildcat Hockey!

B.S. NMU 11'
                        M.B.A. Marquette University 13'

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                          CODE]T[/CODE]I am very concerned about MSU right now. I think we lost too much offensive power to claim a top 4 spot at this point. However Palmissano was awesome last year and could be better this year if the defense matures as we all expect, even without Petry.
                          Question for you sparty's- hows the "attidude" looking this season?

After last years rather bitter ending, I recall reading some notes about how the team doesn't exactly get along with the coach, and the NC in 2007 was more spite toward the coach (for the team) as opposed to playing for Rick.

Do you guys still get that feeling? Did the players that left help or hurt the attidude situation for 2010-11?

The way you all started the season was so strong that the end (while rather pleasureable down in Ann Arbor) came as a shock.

Not that I'm going to start rooting for you guys anytime soon, but it does factor into the season predictions.

Comment

If you think last season's final conference standings mean anything, then you have to believe Miami and NMU have an edge in CCHA scheduling this coming year. If not, well then, never mind. No disrespect meant toward anyone. Below is a snapshot of who has x4 matchups. Maybe over-simplified, but if you take the games played with each team times their final standing, you wind up with an "ease of schedule" as sorted below. Miami with "easiest" and OSU with the most "challenging."

Miami edges out NMU for the "easiest" schedule because Miami doesn't have to play Miami this year.

*****http://i130.***********.com/albums/p248/mmffbks/SCAN0030.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Wrister View Post
                              Somma will continue to score, Albert only had 6 goals last season, but he is one of the best skaters in the CCHA. Dries is an unknown quantity, will help.
                              K Reed is capable of stepping up his game. A bunch of Fresh turn into Sophomores, big jump. I still say 6th.
                              Classy "skin-hawks" comment....

The Alaska case with ferguson is a rare one. Listen not saying it can't happen but look at what the return and who they lost there is nothing there that is difinitive to say they will be a top tier team. Yest maybe some sophmore increase a little from their freshmen numbers but some guys numbers will suffer because they don't have players like Dalpe or Bishop there to support them so its a double edge sword. And if your counting on freshmen to produce immediately then you are in bigger trouble than you think.

Somma is your only double digit scorer returning. And yes he is talented and put up 15 goals but losing Dalpe and Bishop will hurt his production because he will be the focus of many teams. Albert will struggle to get 20 points again this year and Reed is solid but he only produced 9 pts in 29 games with two dynamic players on the roster. Without them it is really hard to expect him to get 20 pts as a senior when he has yet to do it in 3 seasons at Ohio st. and his numbers have declined each year he has been in columbus. Your total production out of all of your freshmen that suited up last year was 12 pts. That will probably increase but it won't increase as much as you will need.

I get it, its ok to be optimistic before the season but you also need to be realistic. You are going off of fantasy things and numbers that don't support your claim. You are counting on the extreme unknown and that doesn't support your claim. It will be a year or two.

Alaska already had somewhat of a solid defensive scheme before ferguson got there. You lost your best defensemen from last year from a team that allowed over 3 goals a game on average. You lose your top two offensive players from a team that scored around 2.8 goals a game. How you think your production will increase from that with what you lost and are bringing there is beyond me.

Not trying to bash you, just trying to put it into a realistic element. I think OSU will be better long term and is in a better situation but just like BG and Western things won't happen over night, they just don't have the players on the roster currently but things will and are already getting better for the future.
                              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

BG is likely 2-3 years from being relevant (read: making a run for the top 6 of the CCHA).

Western could be 1-2 years away from the same.

I have no idea what to make of Lake. I plead ignorance there. However, I can't imagine a happy ending next year.

If Ferris cannot find any goal scoring they're going down the poop chute once Redmond, Wietecha and Nagle graduate next spring.

Northern needs a goaltender. They may have one, but nothing is proven yet.

Michigan, Miami, and Michigan State aren't going anywhere for the duration. Until I see evidence otherwise, Michigan's and Michigan State's various troubles the past two years are blips on the radar.

I don't forsee Notre Dame staying down long, as long as Jeff Jackson remains behind the bench.

Alaska has developed nicely into a respectable program that is capable of a tourney berth, as was proven last season.

Ohio State is probably a year away from returning to prominence in the conference.
                                Last edited by Hammer; 07-22-2010, 03:02 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X