X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Nebraska-Omaha Message Board

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    Jeff,

I have no doubt that they weed out certain posters, even their own fans. I was able to become a member a long time ago, before they were filtering your personal information. If they didn't like what they saw (such as living in a certain state) then it was their right to not let you join, assuming you were going to be a lurker and a flamer. I know certain opponent fans that are not welcome back after posting incidents.

I have had some spirited debates with people over there and I have to admit, some of their own disparage the Mav program pretty well and they are still there. Whatever you did or posted must have really cheesed off the administrators. Then again, there is a sizable latitude given to posters... and UNO fans are not shy about using their cute little monikers for opposing programs.

I think that is what is driving MavMania's posting rules. Still, I am not going to be limited to cheerleading for an opponent school. If posters want to rip on the officials, or question a coaching strategy or even poke fun at their own, they should be able to. I am sure they will not enforce the rules when it comes to poking at opponent programs. But if you are trying to engage in a non confrontational manner, and are not a Mavfan, then I still think you'll be ignored. That's fine, it's their campfire. They have obvious biases based on bad experiences with certain opponent fanbases and run with it.

It is completely OPPOSITE of the treatment you receive, though, if you attend their games or happen to discuss their program with them if they visit your building/neutral site.

There is nothing wrong with a program (especially with the fanbase they have) having multiple fan sites... but they certainly do not support this one- or enjoy engaging with fans from other programs. So, to pander here in order to draw attention to their new site is pretty odd, IMO.
    Thanks and reps to you for your reply. I have sent mavpuk 4 emails asking for an explaination and they have never replied. The last post I made there before they booted me was a complaint about the music played during stoppage, 30 seconds later they booted me. I would think mavrick/mavbriggit and their admin person would have the guts to explain themselves but they don't. That is why people say things like THIS about UNO hockey.
    UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Originally posted by NoClu View Post
      They do have limits however, and I'd guess that anyone banned for life crossed the line in some significant way. TOO BAD THEY DON'T HAVE THE GUTS TO CALL SOMEONE OUT OR EXPLAIN WHY THEY WERE BANNED.

And, if someone can't deal with a few negative comments on a message board, they ought to get a life. TELL THAT TO jon & briggit
      What are those limits??????

Comment

Hey Wno fans i need some help. I am coming in from ohio for the Buckeye series in Feb. I am looking for a couple nice not to expensive places ot eat near the arena or my hotel. I am staying at the Fairfield Inn near Cummings ave. Your help is greatly appericated.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
          Hey Wno fans i need some help. I am coming in from ohio for the Buckeye series in Feb. I am looking for a couple nice not to expensive places ot eat near the arena or my hotel. I am staying at the Fairfield Inn near Cummings ave. Your help is greatly appericated.
          Ricks Cafe & Boatyard just to the east of the arena is pretty good or try some of the restaurants in the "Old Market" about 6 blocks south.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
            Jeff,

I have no doubt that they weed out certain posters, even their own fans. I was able to become a member a long time ago, before they were filtering your personal information. If they didn't like what they saw (such as living in a certain state) then it was their right to not let you join, assuming you were going to be a lurker and a flamer. I know certain opponent fans that are not welcome back after posting incidents.

I have had some spirited debates with people over there and I have to admit, some of their own disparage the Mav program pretty well and they are still there. Whatever you did or posted must have really cheesed off the administrators. Then again, there is a sizable latitude given to posters... and UNO fans are not shy about using their cute little monikers for opposing programs.

I think that is what is driving MavMania's posting rules. Still, I am not going to be limited to cheerleading for an opponent school. If posters want to rip on the officials, or question a coaching strategy or even poke fun at their own, they should be able to. I am sure they will not enforce the rules when it comes to poking at opponent programs. But if you are trying to engage in a non confrontational manner, and are not a Mavfan, then I still think you'll be ignored. That's fine, it's their campfire. They have obvious biases based on bad experiences with certain opponent fanbases and run with it.

It is completely OPPOSITE of the treatment you receive, though, if you attend their games or happen to discuss their program with them if they visit your building/neutral site.

There is nothing wrong with a program (especially with the fanbase they have) having multiple fan sites... but they certainly do not support this one- or enjoy engaging with fans from other programs. So, to pander here in order to draw attention to their new site is pretty odd, IMO.
            Taking a look at what I just put in bold, then what about alumni that may have moved to these so called "banned" states? That just seems unfair to them that they can't post on this board because of a few trolls from the same state.

That being said, I really hope to keep seeing UNO fans on here, and I am really going to miss playing you guys. UNO weekend has always been a good time.
            Always a Wildcat...
            Originally posted by Kepler
            If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Thanks for everyone chiming in, I appreciate it.

The idea of 'being respectful' is just that. Last year, the other message board had a witch hunt going, they all wanted Mike Kemp's head on a pike. If you're going to call yourself a fan and a supporter of the University, doesn't that mean 24/7, not just when the times are good?

Anyway, thanks for checking it out. I'll try to be better about posting here during the season and popping in with my thoughts.

Comment

The new message board is primarily supported by the Blue Line Club, boosters of the program and is closely connected to the athletic department. I believe that's why some of the "restrictions" on the comments.
                That is true. Which is why I think it is odd to try to bring non-UNO fans to their website. No offense, but I find this humorous. At least Mavpuck allows a neutral viewpoint on various topics, even if some UNO fans (wearing their black and red sunglasses) scoff at it. Pollyanna at its finest.

Mavpuck.com is a privately supported website and is NOT supported by or affiliated with the Blue Line Club, athletic department or University. The admin started the site years ago because they a) are strong believers in the program and b) knew that developing an on-line location for fans to talk about the program was a great way to develop a sense of community.

In general, I think the administrators do a decent job of allowing conversations to evolve, even a number that are critical of the program, coaches, and at times, players. They do have limits however, and I'd guess that anyone banned for life crossed the line in some significant way.
                Completely agree. But it does call for an explanation if none is offered.

I do wish more UNO fans jumped into conversations over here. This is a great forum, has helped me to connect with fans from other teams, and to hear about trends across the college hockey community.

And, if someone can't deal with a few negative comments on a message board, they ought to get a life.

Go Mav's. 72 hours till the puck drops for our exhibition game!
                That's my main point. There are what, 800 Mavpuck members, and maybe a handful that post here? So again, why would anyone outside the program want to be a contributor to MavMania if the comments can't be balanced?

As far as dealing with negative comments... maybe that is why the UNO fans want to stay in their bunker and not venture onto USCHO. Much easier to hand it out from there, too. Alot of "do as I say and not as I do" when it comes to comments about their program. No accountability to complaining amongst themselves about unfair CCHA treatment, officiating, hack opponents and their terrible/horrible fans.

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
                  What are those limits??????
                  I couldn't tell you, I'm not a moderator for that site. I've not been banned from it either, so I must not have crossed the line and then ignored warnings and crossed it again.

Regarding the witch hunt comment, I think there was a fairly vocal opposition to the "Kemp has taken the program as far as he can" position. The owners of the site expressed their opinions in comments, but to the best of my knowledge, never modified the site or prevented independent posters from maintaining a position on either side of the arguement.

That being said, I've seen more fanatical, impassioned, enthusiastic and burning conversations on this board regarding head coaches (Fire Walt Kyle anyone?).

I think people get confused too easily. Message boards and opinions should all be read for Entertainment Purposes Only. But that's just my opinion.

9.5 hours till the 09-10 season starts here in Omaha. Go Mavs!

Comment

Originally posted by mojo325is View Post
                    Thanks for everyone chiming in, I appreciate it.

The idea of 'being respectful' is just that. Last year, the other message board had a witch hunt going, they all wanted Mike Kemp's head on a pike. If you're going to call yourself a fan and a supporter of the University, doesn't that mean 24/7, not just when the times are good?

Anyway, thanks for checking it out. I'll try to be better about posting here during the season and popping in with my thoughts.
                    From a neutral standpoint, there were as many Kemp supporters as their were detractors in those threads. More importantly, the admins laid out their support with strong fact history. Are you saying that a fan can't be critical and be respectful of the program? Hogwash.

I don't think that a website should limit itself and not engage in criticism if it is justified. Camelot doesn't exist, and to pretend that fans are rosy and light all of the time is a gross misrepresentation. I doubt that most of your fanbase wants to be told how to support the program. It would be different if they joined the UNO Blueline Club and represented the program in an official capacity.

I think your criticism has some merit(maybe based on the handful of personal attacks I read), but discounts the many threads at Mavpuck that highlight the spirit and support that a fanbase should provide.
                    The Kemp situation was very delicate; but obvious changes were needed to be made to take your program to the next level in Division I. I think the combination of strengthened school administration support, as well as long term stabilization of the athletic department leadership (with Kemp part of that body) will accomplish that. Joining the WCHA and adding a veteran championship coach shows a larger commitment to achieving bigger goals. Completing a firm arena arrangement and a broader emphasis on recruiting should also make progress in meeting those goals. Without the voice of the fan, the status quo may have continued, and that would not be fair to the loyal fans that support Maverick hockey.
                    Last edited by streaker; 10-05-2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I am staying at the Fairfield Inn near Cummings ave.
                      You will be within walking distance of the Qwest at the Fairfield. Though that can be a chilly walk if the wind is whipping. Eateries within walking distance of your hotel include: The Mattress Factory (pub grub and lots of tvs - nice place, good food and very casual); Union Pizzeria (pub grub and some tvs - decent food and very casual); Liberty Tavern (in the Hilton across the street from the Qwest - decent food but the menu is limited and a little pricey); Ferrell's Deli (I've never been, but I've heard they have decent food with some tvs). Anything in the Old Market is going to be good, and you can find a variety of choices and prices. You would probably want to drive or take a cab if going to the Old Market at that time of year.

Visitors are always welcome in Section 213, The Red Army section. Welcome to Omaha.

Comment

Working...
                      X