Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLS
    replied
    Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

Originally posted by cycledown View Post
    Does anyone know people who(m) can give a clear definiton of title IX and if so could you let me know?
    Here is one of the more comprehensive ones I found. The main focus in on Title IX as a reason for eliminating men's non-revenue sports, but in discussing it, the article outlines the requirements of Title IX.

http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/law.../919569-1.html

Leave a comment:

• Runninwiththedogs
    replied

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    so, you're just talking free money then? right? Then we can give it to them for being in the "pretty nurses" club... those judged to be the most physically attractive of those in or entering the nursing program?

That'll be equal?
    Are you trying to get me to choke you? I mean, seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
    It doesn't have the Count.

It's not about participation, it's about scholarships. Women should have equal access to free education for athletic prowess.

Last I heard, scholarships were not given out for clubs.
    so, you're just talking free money then? right? Then we can give it to them for being in the "pretty nurses" club... those judged to be the most physically attractive of those in or entering the nursing program?

That'll be equal?

Leave a comment:

• Runninwiththedogs
    replied

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    So true, Black Widow. I'm starting to get concerned here as you are thinking way too hard. Why don't you try focusing on this instead?
    It doesn't have the Count.

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    If 50 guys want to play sports... and 20 women want to play sports... how many sports opportunities are there if there are 100 men and 100 women at a school? Should the same rules then be applied to participation in school clubs?
    It's not about participation, it's about scholarships. Women should have equal access to free education for athletic prowess.

Last I heard, scholarships were not given out for clubs.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Please explain why it is bad. Please enlighten me, O Great Man, for I am a lowly woman and am too stupid to understand.
    If 50 guys want to play sports... and 20 women want to play sports... how many sports opportunities are there if there are 100 men and 100 women at a school? Should the same rules then be applied to participation in school clubs?

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

Please explain why it is bad. Please enlighten me, O Great Man, for I am a lowly woman and am too stupid to understand.
    So true, Black Widow. I'm starting to get concerned here as you are thinking way too hard. Why don't you try focusing on this instead?

Leave a comment:

• Runninwiththedogs
    replied

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX

it is bad law, but it will never be fixed, because it is as PC as a law has ever been written.

Leave a comment:

• Happy
    replied

Originally posted by cycledown View Post
    Does anyone know people who(m) can give a clear definiton of title IX and if so could you let me know?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX

it is bad law, but it will never be fixed, because it is as PC as a law has ever been written.

Leave a comment:

• cycledown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    So in essense this is not about adding/removing sports. Its about adding/removing scholarships.

Its not about gender equality in sports (i.e. if men get baseball, women get softball). It's about money equality.

So a University could add more sports for just men, or just women if they did not offer scholarships to play them?
    The overall budgets (including scholarships) that the school spends on men and women are supposed to be equal (or proportional), as are the total numbers of participants. Even if you add non-scholarship men's sports, that's still more money (coaches, facilities, etc) being spent on male athletes, and it's more slots available for male athletes.

Otherwise D-III, Ivy League, etc schools (which don't award scholarships) could do whatever they want, and that is clearly not the case.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

So in essense this is not about adding/removing sports. Its about adding/removing scholarships.

Its not about gender equality in sports (i.e. if men get baseball, women get softball). It's about money equality.

So a University could add more sports for just men, or just women if they did not offer scholarships to play them?

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

So what? Is that the only thing I write about? Is that the only time I ever pay attention to men's sports? Do I completely dismiss the talent of the players and only focus on their looks?
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• Runninwiththedogs
    replied

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
    How's this for a solution: Let the individual sports pay for themselves? Football generates it's own revenue, as does basketball, hockey, lacrosse, rowing, soccer, wrestling, etc...... The strong survive, the weak die away.

What Title IX has provided for women is an opportunity for them to compete while the men pay for the privilage. Now, I'm all for women in sports but don't throw the sexism thing in our face yet ask the men to pay. Going out with a man, expecting him to pay for dinner but preaching about equality just doesn't fly.

Football is creating the issues all the way down to high school. However, football probably brings in the most money to D1 schools.

As true with many government mandates: The theory is good, the execution is suspect.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You think football only subsidizes women's sports?

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    Says the woman who has an WCHA All Hottie Team.
    So what? Is that the only thing I write about? Is that the only time I ever pay attention to men's sports? Do I completely dismiss the talent of the players and only focus on their looks?

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    RWD: Go make me a sandwich. And besides, shouldn't you be barefoot and pregnant by now? Sheesh. The nerve of some broads.

Title IX is great, in spirit. However, schools cut popular programs to fall in line, rather than add new ones. That's my problem with it (to put it in simplest terms).
    And there you are, Cycledown. I can't possibly defend women's sports without being insulted and mocked. You tell me my comment didn't belong? WELL THERE'S YOUR PROOF THAT IT DID.

Leave a comment:

• GreatLakerMohawk
    replied

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    Except for D1-FBS football at Army, Rutgers, UCONN, BC, Syracuse, and Buffalo. Also FCS Football at Villanova, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Brown, UNH, UMASS, Maine, Holy Cross... I think I've named enough.
    *****http://i134.***********.com/albums/q109/StatMan79/sarcasm_detector.jpg******

Leave a comment:

• dggoddard
    replied

Scholarships don't really cost universities very much money. The dorms are bought and paid for, the meal plans probably average under $5 per day and sticking an extra kid or two in the classroom costs nothing.

Big name football coaches can cost $1-5 million per season. Assistants can make more than $1 million. Weight rooms, scoreboards, new arenas, stadium expansions cost big bucks.

Follow the money.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X