Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    Let's see, if the boys tip off at 7, then "just before" would be 5 or 5:30.
    Do you honestly think that would satisfy the hard core? "Why my husband won't be done slopping the hogs 'til 6, and that means we'll miss the first half."

And "just after" would present its own problems: "That game won't be over 'til at least 9, and I've gotta change granny's ostomy bag at 8:30."

The type of person who runs to a lawyer to find a judge who will issue a scheduling ruling for the local high school is unlikely to be moved by compromise.

On the college level, Title IX is a textbook example of "The Law of Unintended Consequences." It has provided additional athletic opportunities for the ladies, which we all support. But in far too many instances at the cost of athletic opportunities for men. Tennis, gymnastics and wrestling are just three sports devastated because of Title IX at colleges and universities from coast to coast. Do we really want that?

Well the first part you are obviously oversimplifying. But yes, it poses an inconvenience, potentially.

On the college level, I wholeheartedly agree. It's a matter of finding a solution to the unintended problem that Title IX created.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Well the first part you are obviously oversimplifying. But yes, it poses an inconvenience, potentially.

On the college level, I wholeheartedly agree. It's a matter of finding a solution to the unintended problem that Title IX created.
      Me? Oversimplify? I would guess at the vast majority of high schools the AD's do their best to give everybody a shot at the prime time slots. The problem is with the types for whom the only goal is absolute equality at all times and under all circumstances. Although they're a tiny loud- mouthed minority, UND among others, has learned that lack of actual support is no barrier for PC types.

Apart from modifying Title IX, which the Barack Obamas and Dick Durbins of the world would never countenance, the answer is money, which is in short supply for most college athletic departments. There is also what I call the "DU solution," which involves having a majority of your sports co-educational.

When you hear Title IX Nazis talking about "why do we need so many scholarships for football," you realize you're dealing with people who have no interest in fairness for men and no understanding of which sport draws 50 to 100,000 paying customers to campus several times a year. They remind me of Hitler, in the bunker, waiting for General Wenck to come relieve the siege of Berlin--out of touch with reality.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Me? Oversimplify? I would guess at the vast majority of high schools the AD's do their best to give everybody a shot at the prime time slots. The problem is with the types for whom the only goal is absolute equality at all times and under all circumstances. Although they're a tiny loud- mouthed minority, UND among others, has learned that lack of actual support is no barrier for PC types.

Apart from modifying Title IX, which the Barack Obamas and Dick Durbins of the world would never countenance, the answer is money, which is in short supply for most college athletic departments. There is also what I call the "DU solution," which involves having a majority of your sports co-educational.

When you hear Title IX Nazis talking about "why do we need so many scholarships for football," you realize you're dealing with people who have no interest in fairness for men and no understanding of which sport draws 50 to 100,000 paying customers to campus several times a year. They remind me of Hitler, in the bunker, waiting for General Wenck to come relieve the siege of Berlin--out of touch with reality.

Actually, I was referring to the "slopping the pigs" part of your post.

Is a 6pm/5pm/whatever start ideal for men's sports? Probably not. But it's not such an inconvenience to most of the fans of said sports to skip it altogether. Think of it like TV. You have a weak lead-in show to try and hook the fans of the main show, or have the weak after-show to try and retain the viewers from the main show. It might work in sports, it might not.

The worst that can happen? The sports world remains status quo, for the most part. The best? Women's sports grow, and maybe a couple men's sports won't be cut.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Actually, I was referring to the "slopping the pigs" part of your post.

Is a 6pm/5pm/whatever start ideal for men's sports? Probably not. But it's not such an inconvenience to most of the fans of said sports to skip it altogether. Think of it like TV. You have a weak lead-in show to try and hook the fans of the main show, or have the weak after-show to try and retain the viewers from the main show. It might work in sports, it might not.

The worst that can happen? The sports world remains status quo, for the most part. The best? Women's sports grow, and maybe a couple men's sports won't be cut.
          When you use the term "men's" and "women's" I assume you're referring to college sports. In the "slopping the hogs" analogy I was talking about high school sports and referring to at least one lawsuit I'm familiar with filed in Iowa. That's where the scheduling battles are taking place, not so much in college.

There will be no going back or compromising on Title IX on the college level. "They" run the show and call the shots and "they" have no incentive to give an inch.

Comment

I did notice that Bush was certainly working hard at trying to modify it during his time in office.

Comment

Can we agree that politicians (on both sides of the aisle) have more important things to worry about than Title IX?

The problem isn't really with Title IX as much as it's with the way athletic departments have chosen to deal with it.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                Can we agree that politicians (on both sides of the aisle) have more important things to worry about than Title IX?

The problem isn't really with Title IX as much as it's with the way athletic departments have chosen to deal with it.
                Sounds fine with me. I was being facetious. Obama (and Bush, or any other President) have way more important things on their plates than Title IX.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post

I don't know the html tag to cross out your quote, but consider it fixed:

"The problem isn't really with Title IX as much as it's with the way the Department of Education has chosen to interpret and enforce it, which has effectively turned it into a strict quota system."
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I'm rather confused about the women's/men's (girls/boys) scheduling controversy. When I was in High School the Friday night games simply rotated venues. If we were playing say Foothill High School that night, the men would play at home and the women away. Sometime later in the season for the return leg the venues would be switched. Seemed simple enough to me.

Comment

• Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

On the college level, Title IX is a textbook example of "The Law of Unintended Consequences." It has provided additional athletic opportunities for the ladies, which we all support. But in far too many instances at the cost of athletic opportunities for men. Tennis, gymnastics and wrestling are just three sports devastated because of Title IX at colleges and universities from coast to coast. Do we really want that?
                      While it certainly has had unintended consequences, it's also exposed the farce of college athletics as an amateur exercise. The biggest inequity is football, which is a big moneymaking sport that profits on the backs of scholarship labor.

I'm asking this as an honest question, because so much of the Title IX discussion centers around big time college athletics - has the impact been any different at, say, the D-3 level?

As I've become more and more of a soccer fan, I've also seen more and more of the benefits for soccer of de-coupling player development from the education track (which is far more common everywhere else in the world except for the US). I think hockey has probably the best overall system - a hybrid with US college hockey and Canadian Junior hockey, as opposed to the pure professional development of European soccer.

Anyway, it's become more and more clear to me that D3 is the ideal situation that the NCAA appeals to, and that D1 athletics in many sports has been subverted as a means of professional development.

The New York Times had a great (and long) article on the development of youth soccer talent in Holland, and it had some interesting comments on the American system of using colleges to develop talent. That system might work better for, say, football due to the physical maturity required to play the pro game. That same thing more or less applies for hockey, where it's rare that kids of HS age can play with the elite pros. Basketball is more of a gray area, and soccer has shown that teenagers can and often do play with the professionals and play well.

So, haven't really thought this through, but my thought is that the biggest problem with Title IX is that it aims to correct inequities - and those inequities are systemic, thanks to the system we've relied on that uses college athletics as a professional development track.

Thoughts?
                      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        I don't know the html tag to cross out your quote, but consider it fixed:

"The problem isn't really with Title IX as much as it's with the way the Department of Education has chosen to interpret and enforce it, which has effectively turned it into a strict quota system."
                        I have actually been involved with a couple of Title IX fights (for the female side...) and your statement is absolutely correct.

I want to give an example of my earlier statement regarding men picking up the check. I know of several D1 Women's Hockey programs, in hockey hot-beds, that struggle to get 300 fans to a game, yet will sell out 6,000 for a Men's game. And we're talking prime time-slots for both. The same for high school, few will attend the girl's/women's games for whatever reason. Who generates the revenue to keep the female population playing? One guess... However, everything from uniforms, locker rooms and transportation has to be, not only equal but in some instances better than the men/boys receive.

Let them all play, but don't expect one side to support the other side financially for ever. Help them get started, but then let them swim or sink.
                        "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                          I did notice that Bush was certainly working hard at trying to modify it during his time in office.
                          Of course: "It's Bush's fault," or "Bush was just as bad." Couple of all purpose moral equivalency arguments. Beats thinking, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                            While it certainly has had unintended consequences, it's also exposed the farce of college athletics as an amateur exercise. The biggest inequity is football, which is a big moneymaking sport that profits on the backs of scholarship labor.

I'm asking this as an honest question, because so much of the Title IX discussion centers around big time college athletics - has the impact been any different at, say, the D-3 level?

As I've become more and more of a soccer fan, I've also seen more and more of the benefits for soccer of de-coupling player development from the education track (which is far more common everywhere else in the world except for the US). I think hockey has probably the best overall system - a hybrid with US college hockey and Canadian Junior hockey, as opposed to the pure professional development of European soccer.

Anyway, it's become more and more clear to me that D3 is the ideal situation that the NCAA appeals to, and that D1 athletics in many sports has been subverted as a means of professional development.

The New York Times had a great (and long) article on the development of youth soccer talent in Holland, and it had some interesting comments on the American system of using colleges to develop talent. That system might work better for, say, football due to the physical maturity required to play the pro game. That same thing more or less applies for hockey, where it's rare that kids of HS age can play with the elite pros. Basketball is more of a gray area, and soccer has shown that teenagers can and often do play with the professionals and play well.

So, haven't really thought this through, but my thought is that the biggest problem with Title IX is that it aims to correct inequities - and those inequities are systemic, thanks to the system we've relied on that uses college athletics as a professional development track.

Thoughts?
                            "Profits on the back of scholarship labor?" What are you, an organizer for the IWW?
                            I think the only model the Dutch can offer us is increased yield per acre for tulips. D-III? Surely you jest. As to soccer. A nice game but not, IMHO, a template for college athletics in this country. Based on your conclusions and choice of language, you aren't a fan of big time college sports. No doubt, lots of problems, but Dutch soccer isn't going to show us a way forward here. Besides, Title IX presumably exists to eliminate gender inequities--to ensure equal opportunities for women, whether they want them or not, not to restore some DeCoubertin model of "amateurism" which has been long gone for decades. You can always screen "Chariots of Fire" if you're feeling nostalgic.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 06-24-2010, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Of course: "It's Bush's fault," or "Bush was just as bad." Couple of all purpose moral equivalency arguments. Beats thinking, for sure.
                              No, you missed the point of my post. Both parties are failing to do anything in the way of changing Title IX, not just Democrats, and that's fine. I think they have bigger issues to currently deal with. To name Barack Obama and Dick Durbin in this is laughable at best, outright stupid at worst (leans towards the latter). I was joking about Bush, thus the . Sorry you missed it. I'll make sure to put a few more next time.
                              Last edited by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey; 06-22-2010, 12:26 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                                No, you missed the point of my post. Both parties are failing to do anything in the way of changing Title IX, not just Democrats, and that's fine. I think they have bigger issues to currently deal with. To name Barack Obama and Dick Durbin in this is laughable at best, outright stupid at worst (leans towards the latter). I was joking about Bush, thus the . Sorry you missed it. I'll make sure to put a few more next time.
                                Sorry you evidently missed the fact that Bush hasn't been president now for going on two years. So the question becomes: when does the hopemeister actually become responsible for his own actions or lack thereof? When will it become possible to comment on Obama misfeasance, malfeasance or nonfeasance without referencing Bush?

I'll defer to your obviously greater understanding of what "outright stupid" is. But it's really a little boring that on matters great and small, Obamnics find it necessary to rush to the barricades to defend their guy by pointing out that Bush was worse or Bush did it, too or whatever. Of course with approval ratings in the 40's and no immediate prospect for improvement, it's important to keep waving the bloody shirt of the previous administration. However, the public seems to be getting wise.

The reason why Dick Durbin and the president and virtually that entire top heavy majority in both houses wouldn't even consider changing Title IX (even in the absence of any other concerns) is the hurricane of opposition that would generate among their Code Pink and Emily's List (et al) admirers.

And while I'm not altogether certain you can simplfy your posts any more than they already are, you keep trying, hear?
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 06-22-2010, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X