Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

    Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
    The Crew team got to you after the swim test I assume and you bought their sales pitch?
    Nope - crew is the wrong sport for me. Too short for the big boat (5'10") and too heavy for the lightweights (175). Plus there wasn't any NCAA for crew back then. I went for fencing - I was too short for that, too, but at least I wasn't dragging down a whole boat.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

      Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
      Wow! So glad you chose to harp on how I don't know you while presuming to know me. Die.
      You first...actually dont, continue to belittle the causes you fight for with your whining ignorance.

      BTW I support womens sports...so nevermind DIE!
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

      "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

      Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

        The ironic thing is that Title IX is hurting BOTH men's and women's hockey. At most big schools (and many small schools), hockey is a revenue generating sport for the men. I'm not sure if it's revenue generating anywhere on the women's side.

        At Clarkson, the men's program clearly provides revenue to what is quickly becoming a successful women's program. The same is true of virtually every other program in the U.S. The thing limiting growth of women's program at other schools is the inability of a university to start the revenue generating men's program that could support a D-1 hockey facility.

        Looking at the attendance of several of the "big school" ACHA teams, you cannot convince me that D-1 hockey wouldn't be accepted or become a revenue generating sport at many of those institutions.
        Clarkson Golden Knights Men
        10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
        5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
        21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

        Undefeated - 1956

        Clarkson Golden Knights Women
        ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
        ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
        7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

        Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
        National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

          Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
          First of all, it's women's sports, not ladies' sports.

          You are blaming the female athletes for the cheapness of the administration. Like I said before, add women's hockey. Boom, you've got your equal scholarships.

          The idea that most men's sports pay their way is laughable. I'm sooooooo sure that Gopher men's tennis, golf, swimming & diving, track and cross-country are just rolling in dough.

          Let's talk about hockey and elite opportunities. How many more ****ing hockey teams do you need, really, that you begrudge women's sports so? There are junior hockey teams, ECHL, AHL, NHL, D-1, D-3, IHL, SPHL... I love hockey and I want to grow the sport, but I'm not so desperate for new teams that I need to find scapegoats to explain why more schools don't have hockey. Please. Beyond college, there are little to no opportunities for women to play sports at an elite level. There are multitudes for men. So in this microcosm of the sports worth, college athletics, women actually get a measure of equality, and you have your head so far up your *** that you can't see how pathetically disparate the sporting world is and you demand that women's sports get thrust even further back into the dark ages just so that, what? 5 more D-1 hockey cupcakes can get invited to your pathetic little Dodge Holiday Classic?

          There is a reason Title IX is so absolute. Because if it wasn't, then it wouldn't work at all.
          actually, I blame the women's fans for not willing to pay to watch women's sports teams. This shows a lack of interest on their part, and this lack of interest should be able to be used to show that since women have much less interest in sports, they don't need to be so over represented as players. Even with women's tickets being much less than the men's teams, no where near as many fans want to watch them. I am not against women's sports, but why do my favorite sports have to cost much more, or be eliminated because of the women? How about paying your own way just this once.
          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


          The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

          Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

          this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

            Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
            Beyond college, there are little to no opportunities for women to play sports at an elite level.
            That's because strong fundamentals do not make up for the lack of dunking, no matter what the Femputer says.

            Also, if women alone wanted to watch women's sports, there would be such leagues. But most women prefer watching men's sports too.

            It's not a male problem that even the WNBA would have folded already were it not subsidized by the NBA.

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

              I feel bad for women, they have suffered for too long in this country what with all their rights.

              End women's suffrage!
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

              Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

                Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                I feel bad for women, they have suffered for too long in this country what with all their rights.

                End women's suffrage!
                .
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

                  Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  I feel bad for women, they have suffered for too long in this country what with all their rights.

                  End women's suffrage!
                  It was amazing to see how many women signed that petition.
                  the state of hockey is good

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

                    Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    That's because strong fundamentals do not make up for the lack of dunking, no matter what the Femputer says.

                    Also, if women alone wanted to watch women's sports, there would be such leagues. But most women prefer watching men's sports too.

                    It's not a male problem that even the WNBA would have folded already were it not subsidized by the NBA.
                    Actually, I'm fairly certain a fair number of teams are now independently owned, i.e., not owned by the NBA. Not sure what the exact number of teams is (I do not even know how many teams are in the WNBA).

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

                      Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                      Actually, I'm fairly certain a fair number of teams are now independently owned, i.e., not owned by the NBA. Not sure what the exact number of teams is (I do not even know how many teams are in the WNBA).
                      It's 8 of 12, but the NBA's still shoveling money at it to keep it afloat. Amusingly, because of the crap economy, the WNBA is losing less money than the NBA.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


                      Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

                        What I hear.... "I am WOMAN, hear me roar!!! Now all you men pick up the check.." I'm all for women playing sports, but they shouldn't get such absolute equality if they don't produce the same (or even close) revenue.
                        "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

                          Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                          What I hear.... "I am WOMAN, hear me roar!!! Now all you men pick up the check.." I'm all for women playing sports, but they shouldn't get such absolute equality if they don't produce the same (or even close) revenue.
                          That's a dangerous road. They need the opportunity to get that revenue. If there is no opportunity, they are dead before they begin. I'm not saying give out national tv contracts like they do in football, but don't relegate them to say, 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon, where most people wouldn't be able to go see them.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

                            Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            That's a dangerous road. They need the opportunity to get that revenue. If there is no opportunity, they are dead before they begin. I'm not saying give out national tv contracts like they do in football, but don't relegate them to say, 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon, where most people wouldn't be able to go see them.
                            High schools with very limited facilities are battling gender scheduling problems constantly these days. Do they schedule the boys' basketball team for prime time on Saturday night, knowing they're going to get hammered by gender equity types? And also knowing the gate will be much smaller for a prime time girls' game.

                            To be sure, there are situations where officials just aren't much interested in giving the ladies a fair shot. There have been lawsuits filed on this very issue. But if the public evidently prefers watching the boys' games, what is a school to do? These are taxpayers, after all.

                            I'm waiting for some extremist somewhere to advocate requiring people to attend girls' events, and once there, to cheer as loudly for them as they do for the boys. Federal cheering monitors can enforce the regulations. "Anybody got bail money for grandpa? He got busted for not cheering loudly enough at the syncronized swim meet."
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

                              Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              High schools with very limited facilities are battling gender scheduling problems constantly these days. Do they schedule the boys' basketball team for prime time on Saturday night, knowing they're going to get hammered by gender equity types? And also knowing the gate will be much smaller for a prime time girls' game.

                              To be sure, there are situations where officials just aren't much interested in giving the ladies a fair shot. There have been lawsuits filed on this very issue. But if the public evidently prefers watching the boys' games, what is a school to do? These are taxpayers, after all.

                              I'm waiting for some extremist somewhere to advocate requiring people to attend girls' events, and once there, to cheer as loudly for them as they do for the boys. Federal cheering monitors can enforce the regulations. "Anybody got bail money for grandpa? He got busted for not cheering loudly enough at the syncronized swim meet."
                              Have the girls games just before the boys, or have the boys start slightly earlier and then have the girls games follow it. Simple things like that may at least add a couple fans.

                              I'm not an AD/SID, for obvious reasons, but as a fan of sports, I hope I can stumble across an idea or two to help the overall picture.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Re: Should Title IX be modified or stay in it's present form?

                                Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Have the girls games just before the boys, or have the boys start slightly earlier and then have the girls games follow it. Simple things like that may at least add a couple fans.

                                I'm not an AD/SID, for obvious reasons, but as a fan of sports, I hope I can stumble across an idea or two to help the overall picture.
                                Let's see, if the boys tip off at 7, then "just before" would be 5 or 5:30.
                                Do you honestly think that would satisfy the hard core? "Why my husband won't be done slopping the hogs 'til 6, and that means we'll miss the first half."

                                And "just after" would present its own problems: "That game won't be over 'til at least 9, and I've gotta change granny's ostomy bag at 8:30."

                                The type of person who runs to a lawyer to find a judge who will issue a scheduling ruling for the local high school is unlikely to be moved by compromise.

                                On the college level, Title IX is a textbook example of "The Law of Unintended Consequences." It has provided additional athletic opportunities for the ladies, which we all support. But in far too many instances at the cost of athletic opportunities for men. Tennis, gymnastics and wrestling are just three sports devastated because of Title IX at colleges and universities from coast to coast. Do we really want that?
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X