X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why hasn't U.Conn made the jump?

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    zero chance in getting in Hockey East
    No Hockey East? Probably true, but it's easier to eliminate what is NOT preventing the Universty of Connecticut from starting a D I hockey program.
    Neither overly strict recruiting regulations nor excessively rigorous academic requirements are preventing U. Con. from creating a Division I hockey program.

A hockey schedule would compete with U. Con's sucessful if tainted b-ball teams for attendance, revenue, recognition, and alumni support.

Revenue, not academics, is the justification for investing in expensive college athletic programs, and "break even" isn't much of an incentive. This attitude and the practices it engenders create employment for swarms of tax lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
      No Hockey East? Probably true, but it's easier to eliminate what is NOT preventing the Universty of Connecticut from starting a D I hockey program.
      Didn't U Conn already make the jump to division one?
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        Sorry. Got carried away with the idea of taking "The Jump," which I imagined referred to Ucon using the same recruiting techniques and applying the same academic standards to men's hockey as the school has applied to its other successful D I programs. Apparently this has not yet happened, and this is the not-yet-taken "jump" which is eagerly anticipated.

Comment

If I understand correctly UConn currently does not offer any scholarships for the men's hockey program so the whole Title IX issue comes into play along with all the other hurdles.
          Last edited by MarkEagleUSA; 06-16-2010, 03:14 AM.
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
          Northeast Regional:
          West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I'll be checking back occasionally for the next thread in the UConn Hockey is **** series.

Comment

Does UCONN have any sort of friends of UCONN hockey organization? Have they tried to contact alumni and business leaders throughout CT in an effort to elevate the mens team? I mean if you want the program to go up to the next level that should be coming from the schools alumni. Start an endowment fund for scholarships, donate money to the team to hire better coaches/support staff, improve facilities, and increase the recruiting budget. If people want the program to be better they should take action about it rather than complain on the threads.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                In name only.
                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2010 Frozen Four participant
                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                  Neither overly strict recruiting regulations nor excessively rigorous academic requirements are preventing U. Con. from creating a Division I hockey program.

A hockey schedule would compete with U. Con's sucessful if tainted b-ball teams for attendance, revenue, recognition, and alumni support.

Revenue, not academics, is the justification for investing in expensive college athletic programs, and "break even" isn't much of an incentive. This attitude and the practices it engenders create employment for swarms of tax lawyers.
                  Just when you couldn't get any dumber ....
                  2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                  2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2010 Frozen Four participant
                  2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                    Does UCONN have any sort of friends of UCONN hockey organization? Have they tried to contact alumni and business leaders throughout CT in an effort to elevate the mens team? I mean if you want the program to go up to the next level that should be coming from the schools alumni. Start an endowment fund for scholarships, donate money to the team to hire better coaches/support staff, improve facilities, and increase the recruiting budget. If people want the program to be better they should take action about it rather than complain on the threads.
                    No, they don't have such an organization, and the university will be no part of starting it. It is crystal clear that they don't give two craps about this program.

And a little pet peeve, it's UConn, not U. Conn or U. Con or any variation with dots or something. Understandable since it's not a school most hockey fans follow, but having grown up on it, the term has been misused ad nasuem in the past.
                    time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                      Have they tried to contact alumni and business leaders throughout CT in an effort to elevate the mens team?
                      They named the rink after a business leader who has been arrested for assaulting a woman... he also dated the Dutchess of York.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...nds_16_03_2006
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                        And a little pet peeve, it's UConn, not U. Conn or U. Con or any variation with dots or something. Understandable since it's not a school most hockey fans follow, but having grown up on it, the term has been misused ad nasuem in the past.
                        And to think until I turned about ten, I thought they were referring to the awesome men's basketball program at Yukon.
                        Bentley University Hockey
                        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                          If I understand correctly UConn currently does not offer any scholarships for the men's hockey program so the whole Title IV issue comes into play along with all the other hurdles.
                          Title 4 ??
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            zero chance in getting in Hockey East
                            Incorrect. They would be taken in a NY minute.

They alrerady have the building, it's called the HCC.

The 36 rides required kill the business case however.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post

They alrerady have the building, it's called the HCC.

The 36 rides required kill the business case however.
                              So they have the HCC. I'm sure the HCC wouldn't let them play their games there for $0 (or would they?), so what would be the cost for a season be and how would the $$ necessary to cover those costs be developed? Without knowing the specific costs associated with the HCC, I'm speculating that UConn Hockey would have to draw near 4-5K fans per game, just to break even (a guess on my part). Basketball games played at the HCC draw more than enough fan $$ to cover any costs and probably makes a profit (just speclation on my part). Hockey probably would not be able to draw enough fan $$ on a regular basis to justify the move to HE and the HCC, unless the UConn Athletic Department would be willing to provide the funds for the Hockey program.

And I agree that without a UConn willingness to provide the '36 rides', UConn is going to remain where they are, even if all other requirements for a jump to a better League are met.
                              Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                                With a limited number of NC games that can be played since Hockey East added Vermont (and the 3 extra conference games league members have been saddled with now), you're not going to see Yukon in Hockey East on the men's side even if they dropped a lot of money into the program unless a school was dropped from the league or the NCAA allows a longer season.

I can't imagine most schools in Hockey East are going to be in favor of a putrid program joining the conference so they can replace trips to/visits from Michigan, North Dakota, Miami, etc. with 3 trips to/visits from Yukon, a program that may NEVER lift off the ground.

Yukon is Hockey East on the men's side is NEVER going to happen for many reasons.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X