Atlantic Hockey Summer News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atlantic Hockey Summer News

Colgate just recently (past three-ish years) jumped from a partial offering of scholarships (14, I think?) to the full 18 schollies.
    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
      Just hazarding a guess, but BU and BC both benefit from the fact that they are located in Boston. Think that location doesn't matter? Where would you rather live: the heart of New England, or the middle of nowhere upstate New York? RIT will struggle to bring in applicants, even though they are a well-respected school.
      Come on ... look at a map ... we're not in the "middle of nowhere" ...
      we're "at the edge of nowhere" (with a great lake on the other side!).

As you've all been discussing, the academic reputation is a complicated thing and acceptance rate doesn't equal selectivity. My program is very selective, but I tell lots of people each year to not bother applying, that will artificially raise my acceptance rate. I could easily get down below 10% if that was a stat that mattered. RIT is at the very top of the heap in a few select fields and, well, not-so-much in others. Last I heard, the most difficult undergrad program to get into and the one with the highest SATs is Film & Animation.

Another minor point is that RIT is in a growth phase ramping up to about 17K students, where we plan to level off. If our rep. keeps growing as it has, then there will be more applications and the selectivity will go up since our size will be capped.

While I have no problems whatsoever with being part of the AHA, we'd also have no problem holding our own academically and on the ice in the ECAC. My guess is that we aren't moving unless, and until, there is a general shakeup of conferences in the east.
      -M

Comment

... Where would you rather live: the heart of New England, or the middle of nowhere upstate New York?
        Quite honestly, neither one. I'll stay right where I am - far away from either.
        GO PURPS!
        Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

RMU of Atlantic Hockey to host 2013 Frozen 4 in Pittsburgh. Great news for the league.

Comment

Will it be in the Consol Energy Center (or whatever they're going to call it)?

If so, that's a huge step-up from the BCA. Of course, if they don't put at least six or seven thousand in the seats, it's going to be a barren wasteland, and atmosphere is going to be hard to come by.
            Go Red!!

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Will it be in the Consol Energy Center (or whatever they're going to call it)?

If so, that's a huge step-up from the BCA. Of course, if they don't put at least six or seven thousand in the seats, it's going to be a barren wasteland, and atmosphere is going to be hard to come by.
              This is for the NCAA Championship event, not the Atlantic Hockey Championship, it should be noted.
              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Where would you rather live: the heart of New England, or the middle of nowhere upstate New York?
                Rochester is hardly the middle of nowhere. It's not a top-tier city, but it's not Binghamton, Plattsburgh, or Watertown, either.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                  Indeed BU benefits from a larger applicant pool in the Boston area (compared to greater Rochester), but is hurt by the fact that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting another college/university vying for the same applicants.
                  Actually, Rochester has a similar problem (proportionally).

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                    Rochester is hardly the middle of nowhere. It's not a top-tier city, but it's not Binghamton, Plattsburgh, or Watertown, either.

Powers &8^]
                    I'd take Bingo over Rochester in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
                      I've never been to Rochester, but Bingo is depressing enough. Didn't half the people move away in the last 30 years or so?

This signature sucks!

Follow on twitter: @21stCenturySkiz

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
                        This coming from a Troy-let

Binghamton and Rochester is like apples and oranges. Depends on your taste in city size. Rochester is significantly larger than Bingo and Rochester's suburbs aren't anywhere near as rural as Bingo's. It's like night and day. And yes, from what I understand, Bingo is in a bit of an economic recession. The city of Rochester isn't much better although Monroe County is doing "ok", all things considered. But being that we're all in this tax & spend state that is as financially strapped as it is, it's a wonder any of us still have jobs.

I don't remember, but I'm guessing whomever called Upstate New York the middle of nowhere must be from Boston. Give me a break. Rochester is the third largest city in New York (second largest if you don't count the cess-pool in downstate). The county has ~ 800k population (may be less after this year's census). So middle of nowhere isn't exactly what I would call it.
                        Can't we all just get along?
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                          As far as Niagara, I never quite got what their issue wasz other than they somehow convinced themaelves that they were a potential Boston College of the North.
                          Geography major, anyone?
                          When did Boston get relocated to the South?
                          You do know that if you go pretty much straight WEST on I-90 from Boston, you end up in Buffalo, about 30 minutes from Niagara Falls. So unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure that 2 or 3 degrees difference in latitude indicates a significant difference enough to say NU wants to be the BC of the North, really.
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                            This is for the NCAA Championship event, not the Atlantic Hockey Championship, it should be noted.
                            Da*n reading comprehension. Thanks for the clarification.

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                            I don't remember, but I'm guessing whomever called Upstate New York the middle of nowhere must be from Boston. Give me a break. Rochester is the third largest city in New York (second largest if you don't count the cess-pool in downstate). The county has ~ 800k population (may be less after this year's census). So middle of nowhere isn't exactly what I would call it.
                            You're right, compared to Canton, Potsdam, Watertown, Utica, etc., Rochester is hardly the middle of nowhere. But when comparing to Boston (the original comparison, since schiegs brought up BU and BC), Providence, etc., Rochester is very much so the middle of nowhere. Especially when you get out to the more rural-type suburbs (such as Rush, Henrietta, Brockport, etc.).

And, I grew up and lived in Spencerport for 18 years, I think I'm allowed to pass judgement on my home city.
                            Go Red!!

Comment

Powers &8^]
                              Something can be a somewhere on its own, and still be in the middle of nowhere relatively speaking.

Las Vegas, for example.
                              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                                Geography major, anyone?
                                When did Boston get relocated to the South?
                                You do know that if you go pretty much straight WEST on I-90 from Boston, you end up in Buffalo, about 30 minutes from Niagara Falls. So unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure that 2 or 3 degrees difference in latitude indicates a significant difference enough to say NU wants to be the BC of the North, really.
                                Buffalo is a bit further north than Boston, but you're right it isn't that far north...somehow though in January it sure seems that way. It is probably more like Manchester New Hampshire maybe, which is maybe 75-100 miles north. My point wasn't geography though. It was just that I never quite understood Niagara's insistence on playing in a league like the CHA. It isn't like they were playing against the elite of the sport, and in the AHA/MAAC, where I really think there was a desire to have them, they'd have had a pretty good chance to get tourney bids, and they could have scheduled out of conference probalby as well as they did in the CHA when you look at who other AHA teams play/have played. I'm not knocking the schools in the CHA, but Bimidji isn't Minnesota, nor is Wayne State, Michigan. I'm not sure what the goal was, that's all. For all intents and purposes, both leagues were single bid leagues most years. and at the top, they were both pretty good...both have as many final four teams since they both got autobids as the much more highly heralded ECAC I think, so its not like they had no chance to make a run. The AHA I think has at least as many, maybe more 1st round wins.

By the way, I actually think that it is Buffalo, not Rochester that is the 2nd largest city in New york state. The metro areas might be close though. Not really sure, though I suspect if you include the Canadaian side Buffalo is significantly larger there too.

Comment

Working...
                                X