• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So who taught you how to skate...

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
    My parents and Jeff Whistler.
    So did you go to Hill-Murray?

My family moved into a house with an extra lot as a side yard that had already been used as a rink, and inherited all the equipment to flood it. It was the neighbor hood backyard rink, before backyard rinks became popular. Lights for night play too. We had a heated garage so put carpet down in there, with chairs, and iced down a path to the rink so it served as our warming house. Dad had a skate sharpener and build a stick rack next to the back door. So started pushing a chair at five and have been skating ever since.

Comment

When I was 35 years old (yes, that's thirty-five), I joined the National Novice Hockey Association when it arrived in the Boston area. That was in 1984. The NNHA was a no-check league that was organized out of Washington DC for those of us who wanted to play the game but were either unable to skate or very close to that. The 1st year of the program consisted of a 16 week program - 8 weeks of skating instruction and then 8 games. After that 1st season I played upwards of 24 games per year. I played in the NNHA until 1992 when I moved on to the New England Regional Hockey League, playing for a total of 15 seasons. My years in both the NNHA and the NERHL helped me to skate well enough to become a UHAHockey official in 1994. I'm now 61 years old and I've been officiating USAHockey games for 16 seasons, officiating mostly Mite thru Pee Wee.
      Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Comment

Dick Vraa

When I was about 5 years old. He taught me how to skate and how to make fun of the cake eaters in Edina.
        Landcows Fan

Minnesota State University Class of 2004

Edgar

Comment

Working...
        X