Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atlantic Hockey Scholarships

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    They were offered a spot and turned it down to join the CHA instead.
    RMU wanted to join Atlantic first.

Findlay folded and the CHA was about to lose the autobid and made a better effort to lure RMU.

Here is an outtake from and INCH.com article dated January 2004.

"When its plans to add varsity hockey first became public on INCH in April, Robert Morris officials had expressed interest in joining the MAAC – which since has become Atlantic Hockey. Since Findlay’s decision, however, the CHA redoubled its efforts to lure the Colonials into the fold."

Another quote from inch in April 2003

"When asked about conference affiliation, Duzyk said the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) would make the most sense for Robert Morris due to a ready-made travel partner in Mercyhurst, located in Erie, Pa. Two MAAC hockey members, Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart, are also part of the Northeast Conference, as are the Colonials. The potential addition of Robert Morris, which currently has a club hockey program, would help the MAAC offset the losses of Fairfield and Iona, which discontinued hockey last month."

This signature sucks!

Follow on twitter: @21stCenturySkiz

Comment

Originally posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
      RMU wanted to join Atlantic first.

Findlay folded and the CHA was about to lose the autobid and made a better effort to lure RMU.
      I think my point still stands. They were offered a spot, and turned it down (for whatever the reason.) I think they should be thankful they are not in the same boat as UAH as a result of that decision to turn it down. Had Navy decided to field a varsity program, AHA may very well have had a "No Vacancy" sign on it.
      Bentley University Hockey
      On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
        I think my point still stands. They were offered a spot, and turned it down (for whatever the reason.) I think they should be thankful they are not in the same boat as UAH as a result of that decision to turn it down. Had Navy decided to field a varsity program, AHA may very well have had a "No Vacancy" sign on it.

RMU coaches, players and fans are very grateful for the chance to play in the AHA. This was expressed when they joined the conference awhile back.

Have you heard of anybody from that side not being thankful at all?

This signature sucks!

Follow on twitter: @21stCenturySkiz

Comment

Originally posted by Maldez View Post
          Niagara used all 18 scholarships every year. Going down to just 12 in the AHA caused much weeping and the gnashing of teeth among die-hard Purple Eagle fans. Getting back to 16 in a few years should relieve much of the angst.
          There is no such thing as a Die-Hard Purple Eagle fan outside of the the Gallagher Center (Basketball arena).
          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
          The Mule
          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Well, Tom, I may be kinda lonely as a die-hard PE fan outside Taps but count me as the one that proves you wrong.
            GO PURPS!
            Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Ow just take your Purple outfits and your dead fish and go home already...

I think Niagara being in the league will be fun for RIT fans its like having Elmira back, just instead of having Elmira country hicks you have Niagara city bums

Thomas M. Naeger
              The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                I think Niagara being in the league will be fun for RIT fans its like having Elmira back, just instead of having Elmira country hicks you have Niagara city bums
                Just because they're both Eagles... There are significant differences...
                1) Unfortunately, NU doesn't travel nearly as well as Elmira did.
                2) The few fans that do travel for NU have more class than some of the EC fans we used to encounter
                3) RIT could actually beat Elmira
                Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 06-12-2010, 09:04 PM.
                Can't we all just get along?
                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                  2) The few fans that do travel for NU have more class than some of the EC fans we used to encounter
                  2) RIT could actually beat Elmira
                  How can you have Ties to RIT and can't count?? I mean not being able to spell is understandable at RIT, but counting problems come on!

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule

Comment

Well, Mr. Naeger, every board has a goat and it appears that you may be the early favorite.

Reported accounting costs versus the real costs or out-of-pocket expenses for a full scholly program versus a 12-man program are deceptive. The true marginal “cash costs” for a full scholly program over a 12 man program are minimal and cannot support the 12 man limit for cost containment, IMO.

Yep, I’m a fan of NU whether it is the hard wood or ice.

NU
                    2004 CHA Champs!
                    2005-6 CHA RS Champs!
                    2006-7 CHA RS Champs
                    2008 NCAA Tournament
                    2004 NCAA Tournament
                    2000 NCAA Tournament
                    Last edited by eagle70; 06-12-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

2) RIT could actually beat Elmira
                      Well, all very true ... I especially like your #2 comments ... both of them.
                      GO PURPS!
                      Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by eagle70 View Post
                        Reported accounting costs versus the real costs or put-of-pocket expenses for a full scholly program versus a 12-man program are deceptive. The true marginal “cash costs” for a full scholly program over a 12 man program are minimal and cannot support the 12 man limit for cost containment, IMO.
                        Interesting point. Considering true "cash costs", one might even be able to argue that fewer scholarships costs more if one wants to put together the same quality-level of team. It might be easier to just throw scholarships around to get players to come with 18, but with fewer (or zero actual athletic scholarships as in RIT) it might well take a greater recruiting budget to find the right players and get them to sign on. It would be interesting to see the overall impact on the total hockey budget. I wouldn't be surprised at all if RIT's costs exceed those of schools with a full set of scholarships given all the other places that money can be spent (or scrimped).

All of this points to yet another reason that number of scholarships isn't necessarily directly correlated with success on the ice.

I'm also looking forward to having Robert Morris and Niagara as conference opponents and hope RIT can have a little more success against them in the coming years. It is definitely a good step for the AHA and for both schools. I also suspect the additions might cause a few of the other AHA schools to try to step up their commitment to hockey (a guy can hope, right?)
                        -M

Comment

RITProf,

I agree, the combination of Niagara and Robert Morris with the AHA is a win/win for all.

The CHA had some fine teams but the travel time and distance between member schools was prohibitive in developing a traditional fan base.

I am advised that NU and RIT will be “travel partners” for several games this year as well. That is welcomed news and a good start.

NU
                          2008 NCAA Tournament
                          2004 NCAA Tournament
                          2000 NCAA Tournament
                          2008 CHA Champ!
                          2007 CHA RS Champs
                          2006 CHA RS Champs
                          2004 CHA Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                            How can you have Ties to RIT and can't count?? I mean not being able to spell is understandable at RIT, but counting problems come on!
                            Darn copy-paste error! I was re-typing and re-arranging.
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle70 View Post
                              I am advised that NU and RIT will be “travel partners” for several games this year as well. That is welcomed news and a good start.
                              That seems odd. Why wouldn't NU and CC be partners all the time?
                              Not that I'm complaining. It certainly makes life easier than RIT being "partners" with AFA, like they are most of the time.

Comment

That seems odd. Why wouldn't NU and CC be partners all the time?
                                Not that I'm complaining. It certainly makes life easier than RIT being "partners" with AFA, like they are most of the time.
                                I would wager that spreading around who has to partner with Air Force on a given weekend was a desirable solution to the problem of "Air Force is in Colorado".
                                UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                                X