Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    You would think this town would take better care of George Sullivan's namesake building.
    Thats truly hard to complain with. The roof in particular has needed replaced for years and was constantly voted down by voters. Finally, some work has been done this year so hopefully there won't be early as many puddles popping up all over the place!
    Still better than looking at early-80's brown and yellow decor
    Oh come on!! How could you not like color scheme?!
    Originally posted by Methodical View Post
    The carlson center plexi is in worse shape than ever. This year it's got a fog on it, with enough clear spots on it that it's apparent to me no one cares enough to clean the glass, at all.
    Hopefully somebody can find some time to take a little Windex to it before I make it up there in 2 weeks! The nosebleeds are unbearable but should at least be able to at least see through the glass!

Comment

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
      The carlson center plexi is in worse shape than ever. This year it's got a fog on it, with enough clear spots on it that it's apparent to me no one cares enough to clean the glass, at all.

Sounds like this should be the Face Off Club's next mission after the locker rooms. Lol.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I gotta admit that both the sightlines and comfort factor of the upper level seating at the Sully are better than the Carlson... but I couldn't help but laugh last time I was down there and got a nice big drop right in the center of my head Had to move a couple times before I found a seat where I could stay dry

Comment

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
          Thats truly hard to complain with. The roof in particular has needed replaced for years and was constantly voted down by voters. Finally, some work has been done this year so hopefully there won't be early as many puddles popping up all over the place!
          I'm surprised the Muni doesn't institute a "roof repair charge" on all ticket sales to the Sully, like they did with the PAC (another local landmark with a famously shoddy roof); the city owns the arena, doesn't it? In all honesty, it's hard to be and act like a "big time" city (which Anchorage definitely is attempting to be these days) without a "big time" arena or stadium. Building the Dena'ina Center was a step in the right direction in that regard, but something needs to be done about the Sully eventually, either extensively remodel it or knock it down and start over.

Anyway, enough serious civic talk. Back to regularly scheduled (insert most hated Alaska institution) sucks smack. APU SUCKS!!!!! Oh, wait...
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
            I gotta admit that both the sightlines and comfort factor of the upper level seating at the Sully are better than the Carlson... but I couldn't help but laugh last time I was down there and got a nice big drop right in the center of my head Had to move a couple times before I found a seat where I could stay dry
            I think upper level seating is better than lower at the Sully...as you say, the sightlines are better. Carlson Center is reverse; the sightlines are good in the lower level (unless of course you are in the first row next to the infamous plexiglass).

Comment

I'm surprised the Muni doesn't institute a "roof repair charge" on all ticket sales to the Sully, like they did with the PAC (another local landmark with a famously shoddy roof); the city owns the arena, doesn't it? In all honesty, it's hard to be and act like a "big time" city (which Anchorage definitely is attempting to be these days) without a "big time" arena or stadium. Building the Dena'ina Center was a step in the right direction in that regard, but something needs to be done about the Sully eventually, either extensively remodel it or knock it down and start over.

Anyway, enough serious civic talk. Back to regularly scheduled (insert most hated Alaska institution) sucks smack. APU SUCKS!!!!! Oh, wait...
              You have not been to the Dena"ina center, it is an ugly box that brings nothing to the Anchorage downtown. The acoustics are bad, and I haven't seen anything there that couldn't have been done at the Egan or the Sully, we were sold crap and now my taxes are higher than ever, went up 450.00 last year alone.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                You have not been to the Dena"ina center, it is an ugly box that brings nothing to the Anchorage downtown. The acoustics are bad, and I haven't seen anything there that couldn't have been done at the Egan or the Sully, we were sold crap and now my taxes are higher than ever, went up 450.00 last year alone.
                I thought the inside was nice. The outside looks like a prison though.

Comment

I thought the inside was nice. The outside looks like a prison though.
                  Once again the Anchorage assembly sticking in the tax payers ear. All we heard was how much business this place would generate, so far squat. We will probably have to replace the roof in a year or two, don't know why but all municipal buildings in Anchorage need new roofs after a few years.

Comment

Great win tonight!
                    All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Fear the bear!

With only 23 shots on net allowed either Alaska's better than expected or U-M was flat. Regardless, stats seemed to say this wan't a fluke.

Comment

Great win, however we are still offensively challenged, power play looked a little better, and who was the kid that scored, never heard of him. Team speed was good, but good lord we are small, at least compared to Michigan.

Comment

good win Nanooks. Michigan looked slow. It was depressing for me to watch. Good luck against Mercyhurst today.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                            Great win, however we are still offensively challenged, power play looked a little better, and who was the kid that scored, never heard of him. Team speed was good, but good lord we are small, at least compared to Michigan.
                            According to the ADN:

All the offense the Nanooks required came from freshman winger Chad Gehon, a mid-summer signing.
                            Originally Posted by aparch
                            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I don't think Dallas puts much stock in winning Kendall Classic, starting freshman goalie from Anchorage against Mercyhurst. Nice move seeing the kid gets to play in front of his hometown fans like starting the Molle brothers last night.

Comment

I mentioned this last year but my dreams didn't come true.

With three alaska trophies now, and with the second game of the governors cup being in fairbanks, an opportunity exists for the nooks to hoist all three trophies after the second game.

It would be historic.

The seapuppies have already lost this opportunity, but they can ruin the dream for the nooks, and try for themselves next year. I believe this would be bigger than the governor's cup itself.

We need a name for this objective of both teams. Better than "trifecta of trophies". As anchorage fans I'm sure would like to see this come to fruition for their own team, we should come up with mutually agreed on nomenclature, a name that appropriately represents this level of excellence.

In my mind, the important part is that this event must be all three on the ice at once, not just winning all three, but to play the second game of the governors cup on home ice and so be able to hoist them at home for all fans to see. Away counts of course, but it's not as significant as being able to do in front of fans singing the traditional chant (we got the cup).

My nominations are... thinking here.....

1. Alaska Hat-Trick
                                2. uhhh thats all i got. throw up some more.
                                The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Working...
                                X