Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Originally posted by 1/2 nook View Post
    Did anybody read the article the other day that said UAF nixed the proposal for the UAa sports complex.
    University of Alaska Board of Regents nixed the UAA sports complex, not UAF. They did it to push for a new science building at UAF. UAF had nothing to do with the complex getting nixed.
    All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Originally posted by Rms123 View Post
      University of Alaska Board of Regents nixed the UAA sports complex, not UAF. They did it to push for a new science building at UAF. UAF had nothing to do with the complex getting nixed.
      Did anybody read the article the other day that said UAF nixed the proposal for the UAa sports complex.
      What Rms said; that was a state decision. We just happen to be the beneficiary of it this time around. Anchorage will get theirs at our expense whenever that arena gets built, but taking my bias out I still applaud the BOR for putting an educational facility above an athletics facility, no matter where it's located.

Unless I misread the article, it sounded like the Anchorage arena basically got pushed back to 2011 or 2012.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Bartusch!

I love Keith Bartusch's comment at the bottom of the story on UAF goaltender Chad Johnson (Nuevesies) getting called up to the Rangers. The story headline was Rangers put in a call to ex-Nanooks goalie

"Man! I woke up this morning and read this title and almost peed myself. I thought I was heading to New York! Guess I better get back to work at the bank. jk. Congrats Chad! This is very well deserved and great for the Nanook organization as a whole! Keep up the good work!"

------------

And I love how Paula mention's the Nanooks troubles scoring in her column, since in conference games UAF is still third in goals per game, just behind Ferris State and Northern Michigan. Hopefully that three goals a game average goes up a bit this weekend.

Comment

• Re: Bartusch!

Originally posted by richl49 View Post
          I love Keith Bartusch's comment at the bottom of the story on UAF goaltender Chad Johnson (Nuevesies) getting called up to the Rangers. The story headline was Rangers put in a call to ex-Nanooks goalie

"Man! I woke up this morning and read this title and almost peed myself. I thought I was heading to New York! Guess I better get back to work at the bank. jk. Congrats Chad! This is very well deserved and great for the Nanook organization as a whole! Keep up the good work!"

------------

And I love how Paula mention's the Nanooks troubles scoring in her column, since in conference games UAF is still third in goals per game, just behind Ferris State and Northern Michigan. Hopefully that three goals a game average goes up a bit this weekend.
          I hope Chad has a good showing if he plays. Paula is about as clueless as it comes...........unless it has something to do with UM, ND, OSU. Even when she said her picks would be short this week, she managed to make her pick of the OSU and Um game a long drawn out one.
          Last edited by Rms123; 12-04-2009, 01:49 AM.
          All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Rms123 View Post
            Paula is about as clueless as it comes...........unless it has something to do with UM, ND, OSU. Even when she said her picks would be short this week, she managed to make her pick of the OSU and Um game a long drawn out one.
            I actually know Paula, she's a good person. It's not always easy to keep a handle on 12 teams and she clearly does focus on some more than others. She certainly doesn't seem convinced that the Nanooks are very good this season, though, so hopefully they can prove her wrong.

Comment

------------

I commented on her article, basically said she had her analysis on Alaska backwards, that our offense is up but our defense is down. She definitely hasn't shown much love to us this year, but considering that she's probably never seen us on the ice so far this season I can understand why she focuses more on the teams that she sees.

Makes it that much more fun to prove her wrong.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

I actually know Paula, she's a good person. It's not always easy to keep a handle on 12 teams and she clearly does focus on some more than others. She certainly doesn't seem convinced that the Nanooks are very good this season, though, so hopefully they can prove her wrong.
                Never said she wasn't a good person, probably is. Still doesn’t take away from the fact that she has no clue what she is talking about half the time. I used to really enjoy her writing, until about the middle of last year. Now it’s the same crap. She clearly has a bias for UM, MSU, OSU, ND, and Miami (depending on how Miami is playing). It’s the same crap year after year now. She should just write about those teams and some else can write about the rest of the league. Every week she writes the same stories about her favorite teams, with only a mention of other teams in the league occasionally. MSU was terrible last year, and she wrote more about them than all the teams ahead of them combined (more than half the league). I bet she has been to every rink in the league except for UNO and UA (just a guess). I also bet she can name everyone on UM’s roster, and could only name three four guys on UA’s roster (without looking). So she may be a really nice person, but you can’t ignore the bias in her writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  I commented on her article, basically said she had her analysis on Alaska backwards, that our offense is up but our defense is down. She definitely hasn't shown much love to us this year, but considering that she's probably never seen us on the ice so far this season I can understand why she focuses more on the teams that she sees.

Makes it that much more fun to prove her wrong.
                  She is a LEAGUE reporter, not an "I've seen these teams and then only write about them" reporter. She should provide information and insights to ALL teams, not just her group of beloved teams.

Comment

Once again the Nooks have backed themselves up against the wall. They really need an outright win tonight. Not just for the points, but to re-build a little confidence heading towards the break. We have UNO at home next week and then a four week break before we face UNO at their place. It seems to always take a series or two to get back into game shape after one of our long breaks, and our play suffers a bit.

The second half is the tougher half and haven’t exactly torn it up so far. I think we are “competitive” with everyone, but still don’t have the ability to put teams away. We’re probably as likely to split with the number one team in the conference as we are with the last place team. At least I hope so.

Like most teams, we seem to play better and with more intensity when we are up against it. Let’s hope are Saturday night gut checks hold true.

Go Nooks!

Comment

I hope our guys realize how extremely important next week vs. UNO is going to be for the rest of our season. If we put up another stinker and come away with only a couple of points, or worse yet swept we can pretty much kiss the top 4 goodbye.

I still have very high hopes for this season (shoot we were only 3 points out of 1st place on Friday morning), but the last several weeks have definitely been maddening.

We're close to being an elite team but not quite over the hump.

Comment

We're all the way down to 22 in the PWR rankings.

Comment

Who ever would have thought that we'd have the most goals scored in the ccha.

Comment

Who ever would have thought that we'd have the most goals scored in the ccha.
                            Paula never got that memo.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              I hope our guys realize how extremely important next week vs. UNO is going to be for the rest of our season. If we put up another stinker and come away with only a couple of points, or worse yet swept we can pretty much kiss the top 4 goodbye.

I still have very high hopes for this season (shoot we were only 3 points out of 1st place on Friday morning), but the last several weeks have definitely been maddening.

We're close to being an elite team but not quite over the hump.
                              Looking at the second half of our schedule I think getting home ice will be close, but we hopefully can hold on.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                                Looking at the second half of our schedule I think getting home ice will be close, but we hopefully can hold on.
                                Getting home ice shouldn't be too much of a problem; I think the real question is whether or not we can hold on to the first round bye.

Comment

Working...
                                X