Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Originally posted by mmf View Post

I believe the Governor's Cup is all tied up...and there has only been one stretch of five years of dominance.

*****http://i130.***********.com/albums/p248/mmffbks/UAF-UAAReflection_Cupsthru08-09copy.jpg******
    Sorry mmf but while we might be tied up for the last few seasons, its not even close overall! UAA still holds an 80-48-11 record over the wannabe polar bears.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      Doyle Woody had excellent thoughts on his blog about UA_'s season:

Quote:
      Of course, all eight of the Nanooks' games have been played in Alaska, including six at the Carlson Center in Fairbanks. UAF finally hits the road this week, and its upcoming schedule, despite three of the next four series on the road, is as appealing as possible.

The Nanooks travel to last-place Bowling Green this week. The week after takes them to Lake Superior State, currently 10th in the 12-team CCHA. After that, they entertain Northern Michigan, currently 11th-place, and then travel to Western Michigan, currently ninth-place. Hmmm -- four straight series against the four bottom feeders in the conference.
      Don't think that I've ever agreed with Doyle soo much before!! Quite amazing, but incredibly hard to disagree with!!

Comment

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
        Sorry mmf but while we might be tied up for the last few seasons, its not even close overall! UAA still holds an 80-48-11 record over the wannabe polar bears.
        What your saying is that UAA's best work was when it was a community college?
        The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
          What your saying is that UAA's best work was when it was a community college?
          And your point? As a Squarebanksite, I wouldn;t think that you'd want to point that out. Afterall it means that the Flagship School was beaten by a lowly Community College!!

Comment

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
            Wow MMF, thats awesome. That means our upcoming victory is even MORE important that I had thought!

This is going to be EPIC.

Alaska Tournament Hat Trick and Cup Count Tiebreaker!

//edit: by the way, that graphic is awesome.
            maybe ......just maybe try to score a goal first and build on that
            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

The talk is about the cup..

Oh michigan tech won a few national championships.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post

I believe the Governor's Cup is all tied up...and there has only been one stretch of five years of dominance.

*****http://i130.***********.com/albums/p248/mmffbks/UAF-UAAReflection_Cupsthru08-09copy.jpg******
                I think it is time to start the Gov cup thread and as you host the Saturday night game you are the home team . If not somebody might do it for you.
                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                  Oh yeah, we do. But cub fans are more fun to rag on. And you are keeping it going. What's wrong, did I hit a nerve?
                  Nah, it's all fun and games until February. And tell your beloved pups to get it in gear; you were my pick for WCHA surprise of the year and other than Saturday night you've stunk it up so far. Get with it and quit making me look bad!
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by 1/2 nook View Post
                    The talk is about the cup..

Oh michigan tech won a few national championships.
                    Why thank you for clarifying!! You must have been educated in the Barren North since I don't quite understand where you got lost. UAA owning a substantial record over UAf--how is that not Cup related?
                    Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                    Nah, it's all fun and games until February. And tell your beloved pups to get it in gear; you were my pick for WCHA surprise of the year and other than Saturday night you've stunk it up so far. Get with it and quit making me look bad!
                    Ever heard of a little school called the North Dakota Fighting Sue?! At least we've actually had a competitive schedule thus far and have played nicely against a few of the top teams in the country. Not to mention that little tidbit about traveling...

Comment

Originally posted by 1/2 nook View Post
                      And NONE on UAa.

Order of hockey importance in Anc.
                      1- Aces
                      2-UAF
                      3-NHL
                      4-Dimond
                      5-UAa
                      I hate bringing back the Delorean, but Doyle Woody's op-ed piece in the Anchorage Daily News after we won the '02 cup at the Sully was one of the most epic media beatdowns of a hometown team I've ever seen, anywhere. I can see why fans of the Pups can't stand the guy.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Ever heard of a little school called the North Dakota Fighting Sue?! At least we've actually had a competitive schedule thus far and have played nicely against a few of the top teams in the country. Not to mention that little tidbit about traveling...
                        Fri 10/09/2009 W UAF 2 vs Michigan (nc) 0
                        Sat 10/10/2009 L UAA 1 Michigan (nc) 6

Comment

So much bitterness from Anchorage today. I love it.

Comment

Fri 10/09/2009 W UAF 2 vs Michigan (nc) 0
                            Sat 10/10/2009 L UAA 1 Michigan (nc) 6

Both Denver (3-2 L and 7-3 W) and North Dakota (5-0 L and 2-1 W) are both ranked higher than the all powerful Michigan. Both are even higher than Notre Dame...

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=national

And just in case you don't put much stock in polls, both North Dakota and Denver have better overall records than either of these CCHA powerhouses.

http://www.uscho.com/standings/

Obviously the Seawolves didn't want to waste too much effort on MI in order to save it and show up some real competition!

Comment

So much bitterness from Anchorage today. I love it.
                              It FINALLY SNOWED!!! So some of us are celebrating while others are getting used to spend hours online during the next few months!

Comment

Since I watched most of those games, I can attest that the early years were tough. But we sure had a lot of fun watching the rebirth of Nanook Hockey from intramural status. I’m surprised you haven’t counted goals to make yourself feel good. We gave up over 70 goals to you guys that first year. Then again, we also lost to Tommy’s Elbow Room, a downtown bar. It kind of touches the heart to know that young C-Woof fans read about their glory days of 1979-82.

UAF Nanooks vs. UAA Sourdoughs
                                1979-1980: 0-8-0
                                1980-1981: 0-8-0
                                1981-1982: 0-6-0
                                1982-2008: 48-58-11
                                Totals: 48-80-11

But you hang on to that overall stat if it makes you feel good. I also have fond memories of those early years.

Go Nooks!
                                Last edited by mmf; 11-10-2009, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X