Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    Not saying you are wrong, just premature. Wait until end of Dec/January when you have UNO for four straight (H&H) then @ Michigan, Miami, NMU and MSU.
    Your team hasn't played a road game yet and hasn't been subject to wearing down due to the travel.

Points are as important now as then, so good luck.
    I could easily be wrong. Granted, if we all wait until after our seasons are complete, our assessment of our team’s performance might be a little more on target, but that would make for a pretty boring forum.

But I’m not kidding myself either. Remember, I’m a long time Nook fan. Reality usually sucks. I think this team can compete. But there are no guarantees. And the wheels can come off for any number of reasons for any number of teams. We still have to execute.

But if the wheels come off, I doubt it will because we weren’t mentally or physically prepared for conference travel...I think we’ve pretty much got that figured out. I never hear that as an excuse for Nanook woes.

As an aside, the games here against UNO Dec 11 & 12 will be tough. The games at UNO on Jan 8 & 9 will be really tough because we will have had a month off, nothing in between, no game action, lots of rust. UNO should stay sharp with four games in between our matchups. But again, no excuses. Suck it up and drop the puck.

Go Nooks!

Comment

I had some concerns when Dallas was named head coach, but I continue to be impressed by his leadership. I love the way he lets the assistant coaches run the press conferences when the Nanooks win, but he handles the less-fun ones after losses. He has every right to bask in the glory, and the fact that he gives the spotlight to others instead speaks volumes about him.

It's also great that he has the captain(s) at the table after losses -- it sends an important message about leaders taking responsibility when times are hard, not just when everything's wonderful.

Finally, I liked his comments last night about how the team was going to leave the rink like professionals and return (today) like professionals. I can see why the guys enjoy playing for him, and he appears to be a good role model for them not just a coach, but as a person.

Comment

Originally posted by Wondering View Post

Finally, I liked his comments last night about how the team was going to leave the rink like professionals and return (today) like professionals.
        I don't think our guys had any reason to hang their heads last night. 9 times out of 10 playing the game like they did last night will get a W.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Big victory tonight for our guys, especially coming back from 1-0 in the 3rd to win 3-1.

Now time to take care of business in Sault St. Marie and Bowling Green before coming back home for Thanksgiving.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

This weekend was to be a telling one, and in my opinion, the fortune is good.

On friday, we fought hard but ND snatched out a win somehow. A couple of bad moves and ND was able to capitalize, and the exceptional play of ND goaltender Mike Johnson gave them what they needed.

Good to see the Johnson name will stay a feared one in college hockey. Let me emphasize again, Johnson was exceptional. He saved the team, just like chad johnson did for us a number of times last year.

Today, Saturday, was a different story. Johnson stood NO CHANCE of stopping Derek Klassens goal, a top shelf goal right in front of the crease in traffic, which was literally batted out of the air at high velocity. And the nooks second goal, scored by Andy Taranto with out a defender on him - well, at least one of those scoring opportunities had to work during the weekend.

All in all, I think that the nooks played it well, and didn't disappoint the fans, even with the mere moral victory on friday. 3700 fans at todays game but it sure felt like more. The crowd was representing well.
            The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Methodical View Post

All in all, I think that the nooks played it well, and didn't disappoint the fans, even with the mere moral victory on friday. 3700 fans at todays game but it sure felt like more. The crowd was representing well.
              I'm sure more than a few ND bandwagoners were there just like every time the Golden Domers come to town, but it's nice to see the Carlson start to fill up again.

Comment

Big jump in the polls. Right next to the team we split with which makes sense. UM @ 6 makes no sense. UAa beat the 2 & 4 teams and still got 0 votes. Hmmm.

Comment

I know it's early, and the polls mean nothing.....
                  I could be wrong, but I can't remember us ever being in the top 10 before.
                  Am I right?
                  Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Schlacker Rat View Post
                    I could be wrong, but I can't remember us ever being in the top 10 before.
                    Am I right?
                    You should have mmf take a picture… no he can't...somebody else take a picture have it framed
                    Or printed on a T shirt and sell them. But….. better sell them fast ……because it’s not going to last.
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Schlacker Rat View Post
                      People say that all the time and I think that is BS. They are more for the entertainment of the fans, however sports are emotional and psycological. If a team or person believes he is better and plays that way their chances of winning are increased and vice versa. Losing can become a habit if in your mind you see it as expected and ok. If you reward someone they perform better to.

Comment

It's not the first time we've been in top10, I think. So, nothing new here, move along.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                          You should have mmf take a picture… no he can't...somebody else take a picture have it framed
                          Or printed on a T shirt and sell them. But….. better sell them fast ……because it’s not going to last.
                          You're just bitter cuz you're still stuck with that van load of "My Dream Job -John Hill" t-shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
                            It's not the first time we've been in top10, I think. So, nothing new here, move along.
                            I know it is only for the fan's amusement, but............

I've been a season ticket holder for 20 plus years, and the highest ranking that I can remember is during the Gadowsky years. I know we finished the year ranked 14th (that was Bobby Andrews last season), but that was when only 14 teams made the show. UAF was the team left out, do to another team winning their conference (league) championships.

I am just curious if we ever been in the top 10 before! Does someone know?
                            Last edited by Schlacker Rat; 11-09-2009, 02:59 PM.
                            Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1/2 nook View Post
                              Big jump in the polls. Right next to the team we split with which makes sense. UM @ 6 makes no sense. UAa beat the 2 & 4 teams and still got 0 votes. Hmmm.
                              Actually, both teams UAA beat were ranked #2 when UAA played them. That's okay, when unranked teams play ranked teams, it gives them something to prove, cause everyone is gunning for the ranked teams. I did think that UAA blowing away Denver 7-3 might be worthy of some votes, but this just proves the polls are worthless.
                              Originally Posted by aparch
                              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Its official now... All three national polls have us ranked at 9th.

Comment

Working...
                                X