Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Excellent!

The second goal by the Nooks was pretty nice, but the game winner was a beaut.

Comment

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
      What's with UAF and ugly jerseys? First those baby blue things from the Governor's Cupa few seasons back. Than those home jerseys this year. Whoever designs the jerseys for the Nooks sure has an interesting imagination...

Comment

Really? I agree that those baby blue things a few years back were horrible, but I don't really mind the gold ones from last night. Didn't care for them at first, but they grew on me over the game. Anybody know if this was a one-time thing, or if we can expect to see them more through the season?

And while we're talking about jerseys, how many does UAA have? I know the green aways (incidentally one of my favorites), but it seems like I've seen yellow, white, and silver home jerseys as well. Are any of those phased out or do they all still make appearances? When are they used?

Great game last night! Too bad to finally see the PK give up a couple, but that overtime game-winner from Meyers was worth it I thought he really played well all weekend, good to see him rewarded like that.

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
          And while we're talking about jerseys, how many does UAA have? I know the green aways (incidentally one of my favorites), but it seems like I've seen yellow, white, and silver home jerseys as well. Are any of those phased out or do they all still make appearances? When are they used?
          UAA had used gold and white home jerseys and green away jerseys for a couple of seasons. However the gold jerseys have been phased out. The silver jerseys are only used at the Kendall Classic and aren't paid for by the University. UAA uses white home jerseys and green aways. Not sure if there will be any special jerseys for the Governor's Cup. If I remember right, there were different white jerseys for the Cup games than the regular home game jerseys.

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
            Really? I agree that those baby blue things a few years back were horrible, but I don't really mind the gold ones from last night. Didn't care for them at first, but they grew on me over the game...
            My thoughts exactly. Maybe they’ll become our “good luck” golds. We are undefeated in them ya-know.

Comment

And the new opening video? i thought it was ok. the transition to F-16s was rough. But overall ok. We got to get it on youtube and title it Nanooks blow up world this time.

Comment

I don’t get the new opening video. I’m sure it took a lot of time and effort...but I just don’t get it, other than “can we make this more destructive and cataclysmic than the old one that has recently been resurrected and is making its rounds on you-tube?” But then again, I'm old and out of touch.

I like the fighter jet scenes. That could make for an entertaining underlying theme. Fly-bys with mountains, glaciers, aurora, etc could be dramatic (sans bombs). Maybe a low altitude flight all the way to the Joe. At least that would tie in with us being the traveling-est team in the country.

Comment

I don't quite get it either. It has some potential, and the graphics are a big step up but... I dunno. Blowing up a couple of random CCHA schools? Seems like I remember seeing Notre Dame and OSU, and maybe another, but I just don't get why those in particular. I could see Anchorage in the old one, major rivals and all, I just don't get those, unless they rotated them based on which team they were playing that weekend, but that didn't appear to be the situation. And then blowing up the whole planet, and flying off into what appears to be the Carlson Center floating around in space?

The F-16 bit is cool, the graphics are a big step up, but the plot/flow/sequence of events just leaves me scratching my head.

Comment

Scott Greenham named CCHA Player of the Month

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                      My thoughts exactly. Maybe they’ll become our “good luck” golds. We are undefeated in them ya-know.
                      Do you have any pictures of the gold jerseys you can post for us out of towners?

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                        Do you have any pictures of the gold jerseys you can post for us out of towners?
                        This past Saturday was the first time for the "golds", and I didn't take pics. Here is a link to the U's official blog with a video of the the 3-2 OT win over Ferris Saturday night.

Comment

• Ferris State is the new Nebraska-Omaha

Paula's column points out that this year's UAF senior class finished perfect against Ferris State. (The seniros record is listed at 13-0-2, but that mark actually goes back to the 2004 season, this years seniors were 9-0-1 against Ferris, but I suppose they could meet again in the playoffs so the perfect record isn't secure yet.)

Of the wins in the 13-0-2 stretch, two were in overtime, six others were by one goal (so 8 in total decided by a goal) and three were decided by two goals. The only games decided by more than two goals were the 4-0 win that started the streak on Jan. 3, 2004 and a 5-2 win in the 2005-06 season.

UNO used to be the team that could never beat Fairbanks, especially in Fairbanks. It was six years before UNO got a win at the Carlson Center and at one point from 2000 to 20004, the Nanooks went on a 14-game unbeaten string against the Mavericks (10-0-4).

That sreak including two overtime wins (both in the 02-03 season) and a total of six one-goal victories.

UNO broke through for a 7-4 win on Feb. 28, 20004, just over a month after the Nanooks current streak against Ferris began.

Comment

This past Saturday was the first time for the "golds", and I didn't take pics. Here is a link to the U's official blog with a video of the the 3-2 OT win over Ferris Saturday night.
                            Don’t worry UAA will not steal your thunder and replica your “ Barf Blue’s” they were yours then and they will be yours evermore.

Does anybody have one that they would depart with? I would trade them something for it…..maybe.
                            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Any nagging doubts about whether we could skate with the evil empire(s) of the CCHA, in the player’s minds or in the minds of the faithful followers, should be gone. We still need to capitalize on our opportunities, but it appears we have the right coaching and skill set to compete. Just need to execute.

Mistakes made the difference last night. A defensive lapse. Failing to clear the puck on the 5 on 3 when we had the chance. But our upperclassmen and our young guns are really playing as a team and are starting to develop an identity. They play tough defense, come at you hard all game, and transition to offense quickly.

Missing a couple regulars (upperclassmen Petovello & B. Knelsen) for this series may hurt a little now, but in the long run may be a blessing in disguise. We may be grateful that some valuable experienced has been gained if we are making a push down the stretch for a first round bye.

The crowd seemed a little bigger. Hope the excitement surrounding the team continues to grow. Good kids on and off the ice. Great hockey.

But someone please let our new young rink announcer (who I think is doing a good job), not to announce that “the Nooks are going on the penalty kill”. Just say that the [opposing team] is on the power play if anything.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Any nagging doubts about whether we could skate with the evil empire(s) of the CCHA, in the player’s minds or in the minds of the faithful followers, should be gone. We still need to capitalize on our opportunities, but it appears we have the right coaching and skill set to compete. Just need to execute.

Go Nooks!
                                Not saying you are wrong, just premature. Wait until end of Dec/January when you have UNO for four straight (H&H) then @ Michigan, Miami, NMU and MSU.
                                Your team hasn't played a road game yet and hasn't been subject to wearing down due to the travel.

Points are as important now as then, so good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X