Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
    Well, the cup is home. We are now at 7 games undefeated I believe... Can the streak continue?
    Actually they're at 8, 6-0-2 this month. Outscored their opponents 29-12 in that stretch. Not a bad way to go into the playoffs

Won back the cup, finishing off the Alaskan Hattrick. Undefeated in non-conference play. Home ice in the playoffs two years in a row. Making a push for their first tournament appearance. Things are looking good

Comment

We definitely drew the harder side of the CCHA bracket, but the way the 'Nooks have been playing lately I have to like our chances in the CCHA tourney.

Marquette was really where our season began to turn for the better in January, so I suppose it's only fitting that if we can beat Western, our reward is a return to Marquette.

And on another note, a big congratulations to Coach Ferguson and the guys for what was really a great regular season. Sweeping the preseason tournaments, sweeping the Governor's Cup, hosting another playoff series at home, and being in the running for a possible NCAA berth are all great accomplishments for a program that was on the edge of the abyss two short seasons ago. Keep it going, guys. We're all proud of you.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

With a 6 point weekend how didn't Dion get O player of the week again?

Comment

Well Scott Enders and Andy Taranto got some of the POTW awards so I don't think we can really complain, as long as someone from the team gets recognized, it's been a good weekend.

But Dion did get named as a finalist in the Top 7 for the Hockey Humanitarian so GOOD LUCK on that!! You would think (and hope) with being up for the Lowes Senior CLASS Award, Hockey Humanitarian AND the Hobey Baker, he has a decent chance of winning one of them! lol

Comment

So, y'all ready to have all your postseason hopes and dreams shattered by a bunch of guys with nothing to play for? We've already partially screwed over Ferris State last weekend.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              So, y'all ready to have all your postseason hopes and dreams shattered by a bunch of guys with nothing to play for? We've already partially screwed over Ferris State last weekend.
              Based on how the Nanooks fared at Western (A 3-1 loss, then a shootout win after they got a last-second extra attacker goal) and how the Broncos finished the seasons (2-3-3 with the last three games going to shootouts) I don't think UAF will be confident, but not overly so entering its series this weekend.

Of course the Bronocos have won a game on the road this season since sweeping Alabama-Huntsville at the beginning of the year and UAF is 9-3-5 at home.

Don't know how the Culhane leaving will factor into the series, but the atmosphere should be electric at the Carlson Center.

Based on the history of these teams I think at least one game will go into overtime. I guess I will predict Western 4-3, OT; UAF 4-2, UAF 3-0.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                We've already been through that once this past weekend with UAA

Seriously, though, I don't think you'll find the 'Nooks overlooking Western, especially with our regular season record against you standing at 0-1-1.

Western can be a tough out; I remember watching a WMU/UAF game at the Carlson last season and UAF had that game won until our players thought it was won with about five minutes left in regulation, and Western came back and tied it, and won in OT. I definitely do not think that Culhane's imminent departure means that the Broncos will just roll over and die for us.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Running through scenarios in the pairwise predictor it seems the odds are about 50/50 on UAF making the NCAA cut. If all the favorites win out they would be in. The Nanooks especially need Minn.-Duluth, Vermont and Michigan to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by richl49 View Post
                    Running through scenarios in the pairwise predictor it seems the odds are about 50/50 on UAF making the NCAA cut. If all the favorites win out they would be in. The Nanooks especially need Minn.-Duluth, Vermont and Michigan to lose.
                    I have a sinking feeling that UM is going to figure out a way to upset Miami at the Joe.

Definitely not the time for us to be rooting for underdogs.

Comment

The loss by Duluth tonight helped. A Miami win over Michigan would come pretty close to getting the Nanooks in.

Comment

Originally posted by richl49 View Post
                        The loss by Duluth tonight helped. A Miami win over Michigan would come pretty close to getting the Nanooks in.
                        Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                        I have a sinking feeling that UM is going to figure out a way to upset Miami at the Joe.

Definitely not the time for us to be rooting for underdogs.
                        Michigan up 3-1 over Miami in the 3rd. Figures.

Comment

I think UAF needs 2 of the the following four things to happen to make it.

Miami to beat Ferris State
                          Northern Michigan to beat Michigan
                          Cornell to beat Union
                          Boston College to beat Maine

Comment

Alaska is essentially in. The only thing that could eliminate the 'Nooks is if all the autobids (Maine, Union, Michigan) win. The CCHA consolation game is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              Alaska is essentially in. The only thing that could eliminate the 'Nooks is if all the autobids (Maine, Union, Michigan) win. The CCHA consolation game is irrelevant.
                              You are right, the Pairwise works in mysterious ways.

I had done a bracket picking Cornell, Michigan and Maine to win autobids and Miami to beat Ferris. That bracket left UAF in 13th position with Ferris in 14th and three autobids below them. So I just assumed that if Ferris won the scenario would flip and Ferris would make it and UAF would be left out, but somehow just plugging in Ferris to beat Miami in the third place game allows Ferris to jump UAF, but also moves UAF a spot so that they are still safe.

So a win by Ferris helps make sure they get it, but doesn't hurt UAF.

Comment

Keep the season thread alive for at least one more week, because we're finally going to the big skate.

Comment

Working...
                                X