Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Looks like you picked up a transfer from MSU - 6'2 forward Adam Henderson, who is spending this season back at Spruce Grove, AB. He'll be eligble to play in the fall.

Comment

Congrats to Chad Johnson. He had 34 saves in the Rangers 3-1 win over Colorado, his first NHL victory. He's looked pretty strong in his five or six games that he's seen time in.

He was 0-2-1 with a 2.72 gaa and .900 save percentage before tonight. Those numbers will look a lot better after tonight's game.

Comment

Originally posted by richl49 View Post
        Congrats to Chad Johnson. He had 34 saves in the Rangers 3-1 win over Colorado, his first NHL victory. He's looked pretty strong in his five or six games that he's seen time in.

He was 0-2-1 with a 2.72 gaa and .900 save percentage before tonight. Those numbers will look a lot better after tonight's game.
        Good for him!
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by richl49 View Post
          Can we have him back?

“We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Allow me, if I may, to sidetrack briefly from hockey and post a little bit of a rant that hopefully riles up some of my Nanook bretheren as much as it does me: what in God's green earth is it going to take for Forrest Karr and the administration to pull their heads out of the sand and do something about our abominally bad basketball programs? Nobody this side of Ketchikan expected our extremely under-(wo)maned ladies team to be able to put up a fight last night against UAA, but what irks me the most is this sudden tide of basketball players, both male and female, that are either transferring to UAA or being recruited there directly. That, as much as anything else, is not only a very telling fact about the sad state of Nanook basketball but should also be a direct slap in the face to the athletic department at UAF. And that in no way is meant as a shot at UAA; I give Steve Cobb a lot of credit for figuring out that basketball is just as important to the athletic spirit of that institution as hockey is, and dedicating the proper resources and getting a good coaching staff in place.

I'm willing to give the ladies team a pass for now, since it's obvious they are doing the best they can with some extremely limited resources thanks to numerous injuries (again), combined with a first year coach who is making the jump from high school to college.

The men, though, are a different story. This epic slide started when the university administration ran off Al Sokaitis. Say what you want about Al, he definitely could have a *****ly demeanor, but that guy can flat out coach basketball. And the ironic thing is, he wanted to come back to UAF so bad he applied for the women's coach opening a few years ago and was, somehow, turned down. I'm not going to say whether or not it's time to move on from Clemon Johnson, but the mistake that Clem and his staff seem to have been making is their failure to recruit from and build relationships with the high school coaches in the state of Alaska. I remember two or three years ago that not one UAF basketball coach bothered to attend the ASAA basketball tournament in Anchorage; meanwhile the place was crawling with Seawolf recruiters. One of the things that made us a force five to ten years ago (and that makes UAA b-ball a force today) is getting kids to stay in-state. I think it was 04/05, or thereabouts, that four out of the five guys in our starting lineup were Alaskans, including hometown Brad Oleson who only happened to be the best player in the history of the program. Now, I will give the program credit for stemming that tide somewhat: of the six Alaskans currently on the UAF men's team, four are Freshmen from either Fairbanks or other schools in the state. Simply put, that's what it will take to turn this program around: solid Alaskan kids who want to play at home and who can keep their grades up. That's not meant to demean the out-of-state kids who come north, but the fact is that UAF isn't going to regularly attract any talent capable of winning at that level without a strong program already in place, and I think getting that strong program starts with heavily recruting Alaska.

Don't get me wrong, I bleed blue and gold as much as any true Nanook, and I'll always support my school, but I'm getting sick of our basketball program constantly getting egg thrown on its face. Hopefully this gets turned around sooner rather than later.

Anyway, back to hockey. I'm sure the above paragraphs will bring out the Alaska Hockey-And-Suze Signal shining on the Anchorage clouds.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              Allow me, if I may, to sidetrack briefly from hockey and post a little bit of a rant that hopefully riles up some of my Nanook bretheren as much as it does me: what in God's green earth is it going to take for Forrest Karr and the administration to pull their heads out of the sand and do something about our abominally bad basketball programs? Nobody this side of Ketchikan expected our extremely under-(wo)maned ladies team to be able to put up a fight last night against UAA, but what irks me the most is this sudden tide of basketball players, both male and female, that are either transferring to UAA or being recruited there directly. That, as much as anything else, is not only a very telling fact about the sad state of Nanook basketball but should also be a direct slap in the face to the athletic department at UAF. And that in no way is meant as a shot at UAA; I give Steve Cobb a lot of credit for figuring out that basketball is just as important to the athletic spirit of that institution as hockey is, and dedicating the proper resources and getting a good coaching staff in place.

I'm willing to give the ladies team a pass for now, since it's obvious they are doing the best they can with some extremely limited resources thanks to numerous injuries (again), combined with a first year coach who is making the jump from high school to college.

The men, though, are a different story. This epic slide started when the university administration ran off Al Sokaitis. Say what you want about Al, he definitely could have a *****ly demeanor, but that guy can flat out coach basketball. And the ironic thing is, he wanted to come back to UAF so bad he applied for the women's coach opening a few years ago and was, somehow, turned down. I'm not going to say whether or not it's time to move on from Clemon Johnson, but the mistake that Clem and his staff seem to have been making is their failure to recruit from and build relationships with the high school coaches in the state of Alaska. I remember two or three years ago that not one UAF basketball coach bothered to attend the ASAA basketball tournament in Anchorage; meanwhile the place was crawling with Seawolf recruiters. One of the things that made us a force five to ten years ago (and that makes UAA b-ball a force today) is getting kids to stay in-state. I think it was 04/05, or thereabouts, that four out of the five guys in our starting lineup were Alaskans, including hometown Brad Oleson who only happened to be the best player in the history of the program. Now, I will give the program credit for stemming that tide somewhat: of the six Alaskans currently on the UAF men's team, four are Freshmen from either Fairbanks or other schools in the state. Simply put, that's what it will take to turn this program around: solid Alaskan kids who want to play at home and who can keep their grades up. That's not meant to demean the out-of-state kids who come north, but the fact is that UAF isn't going to regularly attract any talent capable of winning at that level without a strong program already in place, and I think getting that strong program starts with heavily recruting Alaska.

Don't get me wrong, I bleed blue and gold as much as any true Nanook, and I'll always support my school, but I'm getting sick of our basketball program constantly getting egg thrown on its face. Hopefully this gets turned around sooner rather than later.
              You guys have a BBall team? seriously though i do miss the years when UAF had Oleson and UAA had Bullock, those were great games.
              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Big W tonight. This team needed a game like that in the worst way. Be ready tomorrow night though because MSU will come out swinging.

Comment

The Nooks played a solid game last night. They were much more aggressive than they have been recently without over doing it. We had guys around the puck all night. We fore-checked, back-checked, finished checks, and just did all the little things right. We even pressured when on the PK. Good job Nooks.

A few photos from last night's 2-0 win over MSU...

As Coach mentioned at Friday's luncheon, they were stressing puck support....
                  1.*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/MSU-vs-UAF-Feb-5-2010/20100205-247/782220878_U6Bub-L.jpg******

Defense played well in front of Greenham all night, not much got through...
                  2.*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/MSU-vs-UAF-Feb-5-2010/20100205-11/782221349_7VP7G-L.jpg******

But when it did, Scotty was there...
                  3.*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/MSU-vs-UAF-Feb-5-2010/20100205-126/782221802_BrnZA-L.jpg******

We were able to keep Tropp in check all night...
                  4.*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/MSU-vs-UAF-Feb-5-2010/20100205-107/782221557_Aco5G-L.jpg******

Taranto had a breakaway chance early on, but Booby Jarosz made a nice glove save...
                  5.*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/MSU-vs-UAF-Feb-5-2010/20100205-77/782221451_xzmqZ-L.jpg******

MSU tried to keep the Nook sticks off the ice...
                  6.*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/MSU-vs-UAF-Feb-5-2010/20100205-118/782221691_EHKRM-L.jpg******

But Dion was able to deflect in this goal, his second of the night, off a nice pass from Taranto...
                  7.*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/MSU-vs-UAF-Feb-5-2010/20100205-151/782221920_VVurW-L.jpg******

Solid defense kept the Spartans at bay the rest of the night.
                  8.*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/MSU-vs-UAF-Feb-5-2010/20100205-229/782222076_AsQkq-L.jpg******

Look HERE for about 30 more shots from last night.

Go Nooks!
                  Last edited by mmf; 02-06-2010, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                    The Nooks played a solid game last night. They were much more aggressive than they have been recently without over doing it. We had guys around the puck all night. We fore-checked, back-checked, finished checks, and just did all the little things right. We even pressured when on the PK. Good job Nooks.
                    Very nice pictures. Ummm, are you selling those? If so, be sure to take a lot of pics for the Gov Cup series, okay?
                    Originally Posted by aparch
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                      Very nice pictures. Ummm, are you selling those? If so, be sure to take a lot of pics for the Gov Cup series, okay?
                      Na, I’ve never sold a photo in my life. It’s just a fun hobby. I’ll probably take photos at the Governor’s Cup on Saturday night. The problem is you miss a lot of the game when you’re taking shots.

One more from last night. This is Dion’s first goal. One-tenth of a second later this puck somehow found it’s way into the back of the net. It’s amazing how much a difference a tenth of a second matters sometimes...

*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/MSU-vs-UAF-Feb-5-2010/20100205-142/782250271_9RQJo-L.jpg******

Comment

this puck somehow found it’s way into the back of the net. It’s amazing how much a difference a tenth of a second matters sometimes...

*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/MSU-vs-UAF-Feb-5-2010/20100205-142/782250271_9RQJo-L.jpg******
                        LOL. ouch.

Comment

this puck somehow found it’s way into the back of the net. It’s amazing how much a difference a tenth of a second matters sometimes...

LOL. ouch.

Comment

Unfortunate outcome in the shootout last night but Coach Ferguson is right to say that he (and we) should be proud of the effort on the weekend as well as the progress made. Time to bring back at least three from Columbus this week.

Also, I hope Dion shakes up a little bit that backhand shot he likes to do in shootouts; teams and opposing goalies are catching on. The MSU goalie had that one stopped as soon as Dion touched the puck at center ice last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              I give Steve Cobb a lot of credit for getting a good coaching staff in place.

This is square one. Hire good Coaches and the Students will want to come.
                              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Thought about starting a game thread, but we appear to have a dwindling on-line fan base so it seems hardly worth the effort. I’ve always wondered why more students or townies don’t chime in here. It’s a sad day when an old fart like me has to start things off, but...

The Nooks are still fighting for first round home ice, but are in control of their own fate. We only have one series left, at home against LSSU, a team right on our heels. But LSSU, like most teams, has four games left. If we can sweep we are guaranteed home ice. If we get swept we give both OSU and ND a chance to jump us in the standings and send us on the road. If we split, tie, or share bonus points then everything remains a toss-up. Bottom line, don’t worry about what everybody else is doing. Just play hard, as a team, for 60 minutes each night.

Remaining schedules for the current 4 thru 10 spots:
                                UNO(41 pts): Miami
                                NMU(39 pts): UM, LSSU
                                UAF(39 pts): LSSU
                                UM(37 pts) : NMU, ND
                                LSSU(35 pts): UAF, NMU
                                OSU(33 pts): WMU, Miami
                                ND(32 pts): BG, UM

Go Nooks!

Comment

Working...
                                X