Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

    Originally posted by 1/2 nook View Post
    They looked like a top team in the nation in the first period. And Greenham is looking average I'm sad to say.
    You have to feel for the kid, he is only human. He has been super until this weekend and he still was good, two of Bowling Greens goals were excellent shots, two were soft and one was a bad rebound but his defense didn't help all that much. I think he will rebound this weekend and be fine. We need to worry about our defense with injuries and illness, the forwards are going to have to work harder and getting back and backchecking.

    Comment


    • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

      Originally posted by 1/2 nook View Post
      They looked like a top team in the nation in the first period. And Greenham is looking average I'm sad to say.
      Don't worry about Greenham. He's only a sophomore and until this weekend he was posting numbers that rivaled Chad Johnson from last year. Even Chad had a few clunkers last year.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

      —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

      Comment


      • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

        Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        Don't worry about Greenham. He's only a sophomore and until this weekend he was posting numbers that rivaled Chad Johnson from last year. Even Chad had a few clunkers last year.
        I know but we won't have Dion next year. Unless he can get a 5th year like Walls.

        Comment


        • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

          I worry about Lake State, there are no bye weeks in the CCHA. Our team has a very small comfort zone, if we play bad in one area it shows in others and in the score. We can't afford to have a down game especially on the raod. I think the CCHA is the best conference in college hockey, and the strongest I've seen it in years. I watched Denver and North Dakota in Anchorage and if thats the best of the WCHA it's a down year.

          Comment


          • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

            Originally posted by birdman View Post
            I worry about Lake State, there are no bye weeks in the CCHA. Our team has a very small comfort zone, if we play bad in one area it shows in others and in the score. We can't afford to have a down game especially on the raod. I think the CCHA is the best conference in college hockey, and the strongest I've seen it in years. I watched Denver and North Dakota in Anchorage and if thats the best of the WCHA it's a down year.
            Hopefully our guys learned a hard lesson on Friday, namely that you can't underestimate anybody, especially on the road.

            As for CCHA vs. WCHA, I think the difference is that the WCHA is more evenly spread in terms of competition, while the CCHA has a pretty big divide between who's good and who's not good. The interesting thing about the CCHA this year is that as the season goes on, I think we are going to see four or five teams that really break away from the pack.

            How that plays out on a national level remains to be seen, but I will say this: if the 'Nooks hold on to a top-4 seed in the CCHA with our 2nd-half schedule, I'd put our guys up against any other team and think we have a good shot to win.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

            —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

            Comment


            • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

              Originally posted by 1/2 nook View Post
              I know but we won't have Dion next year. Unless he can get a 5th year like Walls.
              Dion is a heck of a player, and definitely one of the best to come through our program since the earlier part of this decade. But I think we have enough young talent waiting in the wings to offset his loss in 2010/2011.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

              —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

              Comment


              • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

                Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                Dion is a heck of a player, and definitely one of the best to come through our program since the earlier part of this decade. But I think we have enough young talent waiting in the wings to offset his loss in 2010/2011.
                Everything I here about him is that he is a class act and will be missed on and off the ice.

                Comment


                • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

                  Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  Hopefully our guys learned a hard lesson on Friday, namely that you can't underestimate anybody, especially on the road.

                  As for CCHA vs. WCHA, I think the difference is that the WCHA is more evenly spread in terms of competition, while the CCHA has a pretty big divide between who's good and who's not good. The interesting thing about the CCHA this year is that as the season goes on, I think we are going to see four or five teams that really break away from the pack.

                  How that plays out on a national level remains to be seen, but I will say this: if the 'Nooks hold on to a top-4 seed in the CCHA with our 2nd-half schedule, I'd put our guys up against any other team and think we have a good shot to win.
                  I don't think we underestimated BGSU; we just didn't have a good game. If we are so cocky, which I don't believe we are, to underestimate any team in this league, we are in for some trouble. Like I said it will happen again this year. We do need to win the games we are supposed to win though. Points are going to be a premium this year. We’ll be fine. Like I told my buddy, we’ll see what we are made of when January and February come.
                  All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

                  "I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

                  "We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

                  Comment


                  • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

                    http://theahl.com/eckford-gets-playe...ek-nod-p138839

                    Comment


                    • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

                      It doesn't look as though the LSSU games will be televised. Anyone know whether they'll be broadcast over the radio or internet?

                      Comment


                      • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

                        Originally posted by Wondering View Post
                        It doesn't look as though the LSSU games will be televised. Anyone know whether they'll be broadcast over the radio or internet?
                        It's always on the radio.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

                          Since there is no game thread I’ll throw something in here.
                          The Nooks “Face Off” against Lake State this weekend.
                          *******http://mmf.smugmug.com/photos/485457797_ZcWF6-L-1.jpg********

                          After eight conference games LSSU is 11th in offense, 12th in defense, 8th in PP%, 5th in PK%, and one of the least penalized teams. After only six games, the Nooks are 1st in offense, 5th in defense, 2nd on the PP%, 10th on PK%, and the least penalized team. Crap. I may have just jinxed us again.

                          A split may very well be in the cards but after last weekend, anything less than six points will be disappointing. We need 110% effort from everybody, every game, for the whole game. It’s just who we need to be.

                          I won’t be listening to Saturday’s game, so I hope someone starts a scoring update thread. I’ll also miss the NMU series over Thanksgiving weekend, so no photos. But that’s another important series to get points.

                          Go Nooks!
                          "Who got the Cup?"
                          UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

                          Comment


                          • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

                            Originally posted by mmf View Post
                            the Nooks are 1st in offense,[/COLOR]
                            Um, wow. I didn't believe you so I had to go look it up myself. 2.83 goals per game in the CCHA. Not exactly high-flying, but it's enough to lead the conference. Incredible.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

                              I expect two very had fought games...................It is going to be in our best interest to win both of these games. We need to be very sharp.
                              All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

                              "I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

                              "We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

                              Comment


                              • Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

                                2-2 on our big adventure to Ohio and the UP. 3-1 was my expectation, but on the flip side getting points every weekend was how we finished in the top 4 last year.

                                NMU gets to brave the holiday travel rush and spend turkey day in AK this year. I feel another split headed our way; NMU historically gives us fits no matter how good or not good they are.
                                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

                                —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X