Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Rugby on NBC

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
    I was traveling through the South Pacific a number of years back during the Hong Kong Sevens and when the games were on, everything came to a standstill - think Superbowl-esque. Weird though the games were quick and normal life would resume.

I'd be shocked if it caught on quickly here.
    It's possible, but I think football will continue to take precedence. Personally I like the 15-player Rugby (either Union or League), and not too much Rugby 7's. But, who knows what will happen.

Enough posting, and time to enjoy the game.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
      Note I said hockey in general - not just NCAA hockey.

That said, just because rugby is popular internationally doesn't mean that it's popular here. If so, soccer would be a guaranteed ratings bonanza here, yet ESPN plugs the World Cup like it's going out of style and yet their own poll from a few weeks ago showed something like 30-40% of respondants couldn't care less about the event (and another 20-30% said they had a passing interest at best)...
      ESPN is hyping the World Cup because they already televise the EPL and the Spainish leagues. It makes since for them to cover the World Cup and we will find the immigrants from soccer playing countries religiously follow their old country. Sometime back ESPN said soccer ratings slowly improve year to year. Although it is slow they still have an interest. ie. the EPL gives them millions of dollars to show highlights and televise their games. Follow the money.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Alright - I gave that almost an hour. I can't see myself tuning in tomorrow. (Great shot just there of kids in the stands on their PSP/Game Boy )
        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
        B1G: UMinn, UWisc
        ECAC:
        HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
        NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
        WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

I love how this turned into discussion about international following of Rugby. I didn't even know College Rugby existed until I started seeing commercials for it on NBC.

Rugby is more of a European thing just like American football is our thing.

And the interest in the World Cup here in the U.S. really depends on how the U.S. national team does. At the last World Cup, quite a lot of interest was garnered in the World Cup because the U.S. national team was playing well.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
            I was traveling through the South Pacific a number of years back during the Hong Kong Sevens and when the games were on, everything came to a standstill - think Superbowl-esque. Weird though the games were quick and normal life would resume.

I'd be shocked if it caught on quickly here.
            some of those small island nations we laugh at (you know the ones with fewer persons than the population of Worcester) are world powers in Rugby. Particularly Samoa. I think that'll throw a lot of people when they start to follow this sport.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
              I love how this turned into discussion about international following of Rugby. I didn't even know College Rugby existed until I started seeing commercials for it on NBC.

Rugby is more of a European thing just like American football is our thing.

And the interest in the World Cup here in the U.S. really depends on how the U.S. national team does. At the last World Cup, quite a lot of interest was garnered in the World Cup because the U.S. national team was playing well.
              The interest was there because the US did well in the previous world cup (2002) making it to the quarters to lose a heartbreaker against Germany (god**** torresten frings). This years squad is coming off a silver in the confederations cup which they should have won.

Comment

Utah pulls off a massive upset in the championship to knock off Cal in OT. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Notre Dame and Michigan State come to mind, but overall you're probably right.
                  Add Penn State to that list. The women's squad is 2-time defending national champion.
                  Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                    some of those small island nations we laugh at (you know the ones with fewer persons than the population of Worcester) are world powers in Rugby. Particularly Samoa. I think that'll throw a lot of people when they start to follow this sport.
                    Particularly New Zealand's All Blacks

******** width="480" height="385">******* name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tdMCAV6Yd0Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&">******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true">******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tdMCAV6Yd0Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
                    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      Although it is slow they still have an interest. ie. the EPL gives them millions of dollars to show highlights and televise their games. Follow the money.
                      Yeah, television rights don't work that way. The EPL does not give ESPN millions.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                        So, you're telling me that rugby can make money on network TV and NCAA hockey can't on cable?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...onship-preview

Discuss...
                        I have the same feelings about it as you do, but its going to be in the olympics is 2016 and i'll be honest, i found it pretty exciting to watch, granted there wasn't much else on tv at the time but I probably wouldn't have watched baseball over it. But i understand what you are saying and it frustrated me a little bit. Maybe with the success NBC is having with the Stanley Cup playoffs this year, specially there finals maybe they will branch out and attempt to do more hockey, new ownership of NBC is in the making, GE sold it to comcast and comcast is big into hockey so some changes may be in the making with NBC, its about time.

Also anybody notice Michael Jordan at the Cup final last night... wow, what a slap in the face that is for the NBA... I personally loved it. Also what does a 22 year old like Toews think when he finds out the greatest athlete of all time is rocking his jersey... Gotta be mind boggling...
                        The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          the EPL gives them [ESPN] millions of dollars to show highlights and televise their games. Follow the money.
                          You're following the money the wrong way. ESPN pays the EPL a lot of money for a share of the games and then advertisers pay ESPN a lot of money because of the number of people watching the games.

Soccer isn't getting a free ride on US TV. US Networks pay for the rights and make a profit off soccer.
                          UMD

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
                            Also what does a 22 year old like Toews think when he finds out the greatest athlete of all time is rocking his jersey... Gotta be mind boggling...
                            Jesse Owens was rocking a Blackhawks jersey last night?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Yeah, television rights don't work that way. The EPL does not give ESPN millions.
                              I'm sure the EPL isn't paying ESPN to air them.

However, there are a number of niche sports that do pay for air time on the networks or cable stations. Usually the way the deal works is the sport then owns the ad time, so if they sell enough ads to make up for the price they pay for the air time, they make out. If not, then they call it an "investment" to get their sport on TV, so their sponsors can get some air time. All the risk is placed on the sport instead of the network.

They are still called television rights, but kind of in a reverse mentality...
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                Unless of course the NHL is in partnership with NBC. My guess is the EPL is doing the same thing.

I heard the NHL had to give ESPN money to televise their highlights or ESPN wouldn't give the NHL the time of day.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X