• Show
Clear All

• All Things Denver, XXVIII

This is my prize!!!

Go DU!!!!!
    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
    Tom Serratore

Re: All Things Denver, XXVIII

Nice piece on Dineen, you'll notice a familiar picture taken from DG's blog. http://www.jacketscannon.com/2010/6/...they-call-dino

Comment

Originally posted by Bagman View Post
      Nice piece on Dineen, you'll notice a familiar picture taken from DG's blog. http://www.jacketscannon.com/2010/6/...they-call-dino
      Kevin has paid his dues and deserves a shot as an NHL head coach. Personally, I am hoping he gets the Tampa job. Working with Stevie Y as your boss would sound much more rewarding than working with the indecisive managment in Columbus....

Comment

It's official.
        We can now put our efforts into the 2010-2011 season.
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Sam Brittain radio interview.

http://www.thepipelineshow.com/clips...tain_June1.mp3

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            Kevin has paid his dues and deserves a shot as an NHL head coach. Personally, I am hoping he gets the Tampa job. Working with Stevie Y as your boss would sound much more rewarding than working with the indecisive managment in Columbus....
            The Tampa franchise is a disaster. Feuding owners, serious cash problems and dumping players before contracts become due.

Dineen would probably get more time to build in Columbus.

The problem with pro hockey compared to the NFL or NBA is that it takes so long for draft picks to develop. Even if Dineen gets three years, at either franchise, he's going to be doing it with the last regime's draft choices, free agents and mistakes.

Like major league baseball, 1/4 of the NHL teams have all the money to spend on the best players. Matt Carle is a perfect example. He probably wasn't worth the 2nd contract he signed with San Jose, but Philly could afford to take a chance on him and its worked out beautifully.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              Looking forward to Brittain in the Crimson and Gold.

We all know that we have 2 young goalies and they will have a lot of net to fill with Chevy's departure.
              GO DU !!!

Comment

Speaking of NHL spending, here were last year's salaries for the six DU alumni players signed to full NHL contracts (does not include players getting AHL money like Trotter, Mannino, Gauthier, Skinner, Dingle, etc.)

Paul Stastny -$6.6 million
                Matt Carle -$3.5 million
                Tyler Bozak -$875,000
                Wade Dubielewicz -$600,000
                Chris Butler -$585,000
                Matt Pettinger -$500,000

Comment

Now that Chevy's gone, how would you all rank these 4 DU goalies from recent years: Dubie, Berkhoel, Mannino and Cheverie? My non-statistical analysis would put them in this order:

1) Dubie
                  2) Manno
                  3) Berkhoel
                  4) Chevy

It's weird to have Chevy at the bottom of this list. But Berkhoel and Manno came through big-time for DU when it counted the most. Dubie didn't win a title, but I just remember him as such a dominant and consistent goalie that I can't put Manno above him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                    Now that Chevy's gone, how would you all rank these 4 DU goalies from recent years: Dubie, Berkhoel, Mannino and Cheverie? My non-statistical analysis would put them in this order:

1) Dubie
                    2) Manno
                    3) Berkhoel
                    4) Chevy

It's weird to have Chevy at the bottom of this list. But Berkhoel and Manno came through big-time for DU when it counted the most. Dubie didn't win a title, but I just remember him as such a dominant and consistent goalie that I can't put Manno above him.
                    Interesting question. All four were amazing goaltenders. I'll do two lists: one for who I think the "best" goalies were, and then one list for who will go down as the biggest "legends" at DU.

Not taking into consideration national championships:
                    1) Dubie
                    2) Chevy
                    3) Manno
                    4) Berkhoel

Taking into account national championships:
                    1) Berkhoel (his performance in the NCAAs that got us our first national championship since Neil Armstrong walked on the moon (credit Stickney) was absolutely incredible. This team had no business beating UND, UMD or Maine)
                    2) Manno (another increbile performance in the NCAAs, but he was on a better team than Berkhoel)
                    3) Dubie
                    4) Chevy

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      Speaking of NHL spending, here were last year's salaries for the six DU alumni players signed to full NHL contracts (does not include players getting AHL money like Trotter, Mannino, Gauthier, Skinner, Dingle, etc.)

Paul Stastny -$6.6 million
                      Matt Carle -$3.5 million
                      Tyler Bozak -$875,000
                      Wade Dubielewicz -$600,000
                      Chris Butler -$585,000
                      Matt Pettinger -$500,000
                      Out of the group making under $1 million, I see Bozak as the one most likely to get a big contract next time. He is a burgeoning star with the Leafs. Pettinger and Dubie are old vets now and are pretty much extra parts for an NHL team. They will probably will never get to sign a big contract. Chris Butler after having a pretty good rookie season for Buffalo, had a sophomore slump last season. He needs to pick up his game if he wants to stick in the NHL. He's still young so the possibility is still there for him to become a top 4 d-man. The 2010/11 season for him is going to be huge and will probably be the harbinger for his future.
                      Last edited by du78; 06-02-2010, 11:47 AM.
                      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post

1) Dubie
                        2) Manno
                        3) Berkhoel
                        4) Chevy

It really depends what you value most.

Dubie probably had the best four year career and was a second team all-American who turned down the NHL to return as a senior, but did not win the big prize.

Manno won the big NCAA prize as a freshman, and had a strong DU career, but was never an All-American.

Berkhoel won the big NCAA prize as a senior and was a standout when DU needed down the strretch that year but was up and down otherwise, and was also not an All-American.

Chevy started slowly at DU, but was a first team All-American as a junior and was a serious Hobey candidate until the end, when he was unable to carry the Pioneers to NCAA success.

One other thing to consider is the platooning nature of DU's goaltenders. Most seasons, DU has two goalies that split time 50/50 or 2/3rds-1/3 or so. Only Mannino and Chevy had a single season where they played most of the games. Dubie and Berkhoel were always platooned.

If you value overall stats, it's probably Dubie or Chevy.
                        If you value NCAA Hardware, it's either Manno or Berkhoel.
                        If you value All-American status, it's Chevy.
                        If you value four year careers, it's Dubie.
                        Last edited by Puck Swami; 06-02-2010, 12:10 PM.

Comment

As you enter CFC from the south doors, the first thing you see upon entering is a banner recognizing the three-peat of the DU Ski Team after winning the NCAA title in 2008/2009/2010. Nice touch to see the team so honored.
                          Last edited by A Shot and a Goal; 06-02-2010, 10:23 PM.
                          sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Matt Carle made a great shot/pass that was redirected in the Chicago net to win Game 3 for the Flyers in OT 4-3. Carle played an awesome game.

Comment

6/2/2010

Still Playing For The Stanley Cup
                              Matt Carle 0-12-12 +8 Philadelphia Flyers

I agree with Swami, like who wouldn't, Matt had an awesome game.
                              Seemed like he picked up his play in Game 2 and tonight he played an integral role for the Flyers. His name was mentioned almost as much as Pronger's.

Here's Pronger's interview and there's a question about Matt toward the end.
                              http://flyers.nhl.com/?navid=nav-teamnav-phi
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X