Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

    Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    Mullin is coming next season and he is having a huge year up at Shattuck. Gacek is coming in '11 which will be a big class for miami.

    There are some local kids that are coming up on the radar and it is nice to see. Chris crane is heading to OSU next year and is a nice player. There are questions about him, which are still there and I think why he ended up at OSU and not Miami or another big time program. There is a ex shattuck player who is a local kid that I know wants to come to Miami, but he is a defenseman and might have to wait if he wants. Although I can't find where he is playing now so maybe someone else can find him, kyle forte. It is good to see some of these kids making names for themselves. And CJ Groh is -scheduled to go to alabama-Huntsville but we will see how that turns out.
    Ask and you shall receive...

    http://nahlspringfield.stats.pointst...&seasonid=4527

    Forte. 10 games. 2 assists. -4. 14 PIM.

    Comment


    • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

      Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
      Ask and you shall receive...

      http://nahlspringfield.stats.pointst...&seasonid=4527

      Forte. 10 games. 2 assists. -4. 14 PIM.
      you da man! I looked through the USHL but didn't feel like combing through the enourmous NAHL!

      Also:
      Can we call this group of dedicated fans Carter's Campers?
      College hockey fandom takes many forms, whether it’s the Lynah Faithful chucking fish or the kids at Yost hurling obscenities. Down in Oxford, Ohio, Miami has always had solid support, but as the RedHawk program has risen to national prominence, the team’s fans have ratcheted up the fervor. Witness the accompanying visual evidence of RedHawk boosters camping outside Goggin 2.0 prior to last weekend’s series with Notre Dame.

      It’s not Krzyzewski-ville, nor is it of the magnitude of the tent city that sprung up prior to the Miami-Michigan series of a couple years ago that pitted the nation’s two top-ranked teams against one another, but we love it. The only thing that could possibly make us happier is if one of the tents belonged to RedHawk forward Carter Camper.

      Picture didn't transform but is over at www.insidecollegehockey.com under their first shift segment.

      I think they are onto something. I am starting a movement to call the campground outside of goggin the official " Carter's Camper's " ! I think it is classic lol
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

      Comment


      • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

        Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
        Mullin is coming next season and he is having a huge year up at Shattuck. Gacek is coming in '11 which will be a big class for miami.

        There are some local kids that are coming up on the radar and it is nice to see. Chris crane is heading to OSU next year and is a nice player. There are questions about him, which are still there and I think why he ended up at OSU and not Miami or another big time program. There is a ex shattuck player who is a local kid that I know wants to come to Miami, but he is a defenseman and might have to wait if he wants. Although I can't find where he is playing now so maybe someone else can find him, kyle forte. It is good to see some of these kids making names for themselves. And CJ Groh is -scheduled to go to alabama-Huntsville but we will see how that turns out.
        Yeah, it is great to see local kids getting DI opportunities. I think Mullin plans to play in Fargo (USHL) in 2010 and start school in 2011. Crane is in his 2nd season with the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) and as you state goes to Ohio State in 2010. Forte is in Springfield (Jr Blues NAHL) but is just recently coming back from hand surgery. Matt Kinman (played NKy/Cincy) is also in Springfield. Groh is still committed to UAH for 2010, and was currently traded/called up to Waterloo (USHL) from Springfield.

        Folks need to understand that there are so few D1 roster spots that are available any given year that not every player is going to be able to get in a "big time program" or their first choice of schools. Its an extremely small percentage of players that get to play D1 and they all have some questions about them, so no need to downplay their choice of school because it's not Miami. Some opt to go where they may be able to play earlier in their career, some actually dreamt of playing places other than Miami.

        Congrats for being rewarded for all the hard work & best of luck to them all.
        Last edited by fangers; 12-10-2009, 12:18 AM.

        Comment


        • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

          Originally posted by fangers View Post
          Yeah, it is great to see local kids getting DI opportunities. I think Mullin plans to play in Fargo (USHL) in 2010 and start school in 2011. Crane is in his 2nd season with the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) and as you state goes to Ohio State in 2010. Forte is in Springfield (Jr Blues NAHL) but is just recently coming back from hand surgery. Matt Kinman (played NKy/Cincy) is also in Springfield. Groh is still committed to UAH for 2010, and was currently traded/called up to Waterloo (USHL) from Springfield.

          Folks need to understand that there are so few D1 roster spots that are available any given year that not every player is going to be able to get in a "big time program" or their first choice of schools. Its an extremely small percentage of players that get to play D1 and they all have some questions about them, so no need to downplay their choice of school because it's not Miami. Some opt to go where they may be able to play earlier in their career, some actually dreamt of playing places other than Miami.

          Congrats for being rewarded for all the hard work & best of luck to them all.
          Your right to some degree. Some do have the talent to play at the top tier but the don't have all the tangeables i.e poor grades, bad attitudes etc. Thats why they end up where they do sometimes. And talent does have a lot to do with it, the lower tier programs get the less talented players. With that said you still have to be pretty darn good to play at any D I program but talent plays a big part in where you do end up.
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

          Comment


          • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

            Originally posted by fangers View Post
            Yeah, it is great to see local kids getting DI opportunities. I think Mullin plans to play in Fargo (USHL) in 2010 and start school in 2011. Crane is in his 2nd season with the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) and as you state goes to Ohio State in 2010. Forte is in Springfield (Jr Blues NAHL) but is just recently coming back from hand surgery. Matt Kinman (played NKy/Cincy) is also in Springfield. Groh is still committed to UAH for 2010, and was currently traded/called up to Waterloo (USHL) from Springfield.

            Folks need to understand that there are so few D1 roster spots that are available any given year that not every player is going to be able to get in a "big time program" or their first choice of schools. Its an extremely small percentage of players that get to play D1 and they all have some questions about them, so no need to downplay their choice of school because it's not Miami. Some opt to go where they may be able to play earlier in their career, some actually dreamt of playing places other than Miami.

            Congrats for being rewarded for all the hard work & best of luck to them all.
            I second that. These guys are all darn good and all you have to do is look at the upsets that happen to know the line is fine... any given day... etc. The fact Miami and BSU were in the final four would have shocked people ten years ago.

            I really wish kids looked at everything more than they do. I know I am biased, but I believe if kids looked harder/more carefully it would benefit MU. MU is not right for everyone, but it has a lot to offer including the system Miami plays, the fact that it has become about a lot more than just hockey in the Miami hockey program, hockey is by far the most popular sport on campus, players seem to improve on and off the ice, players graduate, and, very importantly, under the current coaching staff, Miami always seems to be better than the sum of the parts. Miami will not be great every year, and it may not be right for everyone, but it is a very attractive alternative for a good many kids, including the "blue chip" types. Anyone that looks at the current situation honestly has to come to that conclusion.

            Comment


            • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

              Originally posted by fangers View Post
              ...no need to downplay their choice of school because it's not Miami. Some opt to go where they may be able to play earlier in their career, some actually dreamt of playing places other than Miami.
              Well, let's not get crazy.
              http://blogofbrotherhood.com

              Comment


              • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

                Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                I second that. These guys are all darn good and all you have to do is look at the upsets that happen to know the line is fine... any given day... etc. The fact Miami and BSU were in the final four would have shocked people ten years ago.

                I really wish kids looked at everything more than they do. I know I am biased, but I believe if kids looked harder/more carefully it would benefit MU. MU is not right for everyone, but it has a lot to offer including the system Miami plays, the fact that it has become about a lot more than just hockey in the Miami hockey program, hockey is by far the most popular sport on campus, players seem to improve on and off the ice, players graduate, and, very importantly, under the current coaching staff, Miami always seems to be better than the sum of the parts. Miami will not be great every year, and it may not be right for everyone, but it is a very attractive alternative for a good many kids, including the "blue chip" types. Anyone that looks at the current situation honestly has to come to that conclusion.
                Your not being biased, you are being realistic.

                The difference between hockey and say football is these blue chip type players are all very good academic students. The reason being that these kids are more mature coming into college because of either the junior route or prep route they all have left home at a younger age and have grown up. Also in hockey unlike any other sport they have a system like juniors which does a lot for these kids because not only is hockey a priority but most programs have academic standards as well. This is why the higher academic schools can still dominate hockey unlike football. Denver, Colorado College, BC, Miami, Notre dame to just mention a few are very good academic schools but are also very good hockey schools. Even the ivy leagues are very competitive. For me it makes a big difference having a system like juniors to elevate these kids in more than just hockey. I know for me it made all the difference in the world.

                Fang- as for mullin's he signed his letter of intent so he should be here in the fall and is not going to Fargo.
                Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

                Comment


                • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

                  Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                  I second that. These guys are all darn good and all you have to do is look at the upsets that happen to know the line is fine... any given day... etc. The fact Miami and BSU were in the final four would have shocked people ten years ago.

                  I really wish kids looked at everything more than they do. I know I am biased, but I believe if kids looked harder/more carefully it would benefit MU. MU is not right for everyone, but it has a lot to offer including the system Miami plays, the fact that it has become about a lot more than just hockey in the Miami hockey program, hockey is by far the most popular sport on campus, players seem to improve on and off the ice, players graduate, and, very importantly, under the current coaching staff, Miami always seems to be better than the sum of the parts. Miami will not be great every year, and it may not be right for everyone, but it is a very attractive alternative for a good many kids, including the "blue chip" types. Anyone that looks at the current situation honestly has to come to that conclusion.
                  Agree. And folks shouldn't take my previous post as being anti-Miami because I've always been a big fan of the program. Just that starting next year they'll slip to being my second favorite team...lol
                  Last edited by fangers; 12-10-2009, 12:52 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

                    Originally posted by fangers View Post
                    Agree. And folks shouldn't take my previous post as being anti-Miami because I've always been a big fan of the program. Just that starting next year they'll slip to being my second favorite team...lol
                    I know that and I know what you meant, fangers, and people make good choices for themselves for lots of reasons--playing time, academic and social fit, connection to coaches, being really "wanted" in a program, geography, etc. I've heard people say MU does not get the really, really high end player too often. But MU also has not had too many players leave early, and the ones that have had three years here (say Zatkoff and Martinez) and can still get their degrees if they want to. My perception is that MU has a very attractive model in place for the right players.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

                      One short note. Justin Mercier made his NHL debut last night with the Colorado Avalanche. He played on a line with Marek Svatos and Matt Hendricks. The Avs lost to the Minnesota Wild 1-0.
                      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

                        Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                        I know that and I know what you meant, fangers, and people make good choices for themselves for lots of reasons--playing time, academic and social fit, connection to coaches, being really "wanted" in a program, geography, etc. I've heard people say MU does not get the really, really high end player too often. But MU also has not had too many players leave early, and the ones that have had three years here (say Zatkoff and Martinez) and can still get their degrees if they want to. My perception is that MU has a very attractive model in place for the right players.
                        Don't forget the coed population isn't too shaby either lol

                        I agree with the type of player. Miami gets the skilled guys that really aren't flight risks. Where as Minnesota gets all these blue chip draft picks and very few stay 4 years. Its a testimony to the coaching staff in identifying the type of player they want and making sure the kids understand what they are getting into. I think more and more around the country kids are noticing that they can stay in school for 3 or 4 years and be more ready to play in the NHL than leaving after a year or two and bouncing up and down between the minors.
                        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

                        Comment


                        • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

                          Originally posted by fangers View Post
                          Agree. And folks shouldn't take my previous post as being anti-Miami because I've always been a big fan of the program. Just that starting next year they'll slip to being my second favorite team...lol
                          Yea yea, and I know where your vote is in regards to UAH getting in to the CCHA or not. Hope you are saving your frequent flyer miles...
                          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

                          Comment


                          • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

                            [QUOTE=redhawkman10;4511546]Don't forget the coed population isn't too shaby either lol QUOTE]

                            I didn't bring that up because I knew you would.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

                              Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                              One short note. Justin Mercier made his NHL debut last night with the Colorado Avalanche. He played on a line with Marek Svatos and Matt Hendricks. The Avs lost to the Minnesota Wild 1-0.
                              Thanks S&G. Congrats to Justin. Also, Andy Greene had two goals last night for the Devils and is starting to be the offensive defenseman he was at Miami. Boyle had a goal last night and is third among NHL d in scoring. Jones is back up. Things are good for Miami alums right now. Oh, and all those guys stayed four years, graduated, and improved a lot when they were here.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

                                Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                                Thanks S&G. Congrats to Justin. Also, Andy Greene had two goals last night for the Devils and is starting to be the offensive defenseman he was at Miami. Boyle had a goal last night and is third among NHL d in scoring. Jones is back up. Things are good for Miami alums right now. Oh, and all those guys stayed four years, graduated, and improved a lot when they were here.
                                And, both Boyle and Greene were undrafted adding emphasis to your point that we find the right guys in many ways.
                                http://blogofbrotherhood.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X