This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009-2010 Miami Season Thread

Yes, Miami definitely is having trouble finishing; let's hope that changes soon. And it hurts in the league to get only 7 of the last 12 points with two home games in there. I think if someone had told us just one win in the next two weekends after UM, no one would have liked that. But, on the other hand, it's an eight game unbeaten streak and one loss in the first 14 games is pretty amazing, IMO. And, defensively and goaltending-wise, MU seems to be playing well (without seeing the Western series, but one goal a weekend usually works ok).

Camper had 11 shots on goal this weekend compared to 3 in the previous 4 games. Obviously he got the one goal last night, so let's hope he gets going. Seven d dressed last night with B Smith and Hetland. Not sure how that was rotated, but that's an interesting decision.

Sooo, the next stretch is again difficult. BSU is 10-1-1 and UND is UND, and then ND and OSU. It's a long season, and hey, at least we won one of those stupid shootouts.
    Last edited by redeagle; 11-22-2009, 12:55 PM.

Comment

my best bet would be we see the nations #2 goalie suiting up twice this weekend, or if anything the rotation gets swapped so knapp gets leave it to beaver and reich gets the sioux.

also according to the way too early numbers, we have the #4 strength of schedule

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
        Yes, Miami definitely is having trouble finishing; let's hope that changes soon. And it hurts in the league to get only 7 of the last 12 points with two home games in there. I think if someone had told us just one win in the next two weekends after UM, no one would have liked that. But, on the other hand, it's an eight game unbeaten streak and one loss in the first 14 games is pretty amazing, IMO. And, defensively and goaltending-wise, MU seems to be playing well (without seeing the Western series, but one goal a weekend usually works ok).

Camper had 11 shots on goal this weekend compared to 3 in the previous 4 games. Obviously he got the one goal last night, so let's hope he gets going. Seven d dressed last night with B Smith and Hetland. Not sure how that was rotated, but that's an interesting decision.

Sooo, the next stretch is again difficult. BSU is 10-1-1 and UND is UND, and then ND and OSU. It's a long season, and hey, at least we won one of those stupid shootouts.
        Ill do it one better, they have yet to lose in regulation!

But you are right the last 4 games make you scratch your head a little. With UND getting swept this past weekend they will be gunning for us and they are very talented. Eidness is solid in net, but one thing I hope we can take advantage of is their temper. They take a lot of penalties (usually all the refs fault and not their own) but play extremely physical. If Miami can get their PP going and not get sucked into the crap, I think we match up well with them.

There is a lot of talent on this offense and you would have to think it turns around at some point wouldnt you??
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
          my best bet would be we see the nations #2 goalie suiting up twice this weekend, or if anything the rotation gets swapped so knapp gets leave it to beaver and reich gets the sioux.

also according to the way too early numbers, we have the #4 strength of schedule
          I believe it. Cudos to the athletic department and coaching staff for putting this schedule together. We won't have any questions about this team being tourny tested come april.

As for the goaltenders, you pose an interesting question. Knapp played well last night and you may hinder his confidence if you switch things up or sit him. I wouldnt be surprised to see Coach leave it the way it is.
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Yes rhm, one would think this is a good bunch of forwards, but they sure are having trouble scoring goals lately. Maybe some are slowed by nagging injuries, I don't know. Also, I am sure things will settle down in the second half, but think about Miami's fourth line last year that usually had Lacombe and Loupee and somebody else (sometimes Vaive?). That gave Miami more depth than they have demonstrated this year, IMO. Was Tommasoni a seventh d or a forward last night? If Tomassoni was a forward, I think that tells you something.

Noticed Jay Camper committed to UNH.

Comment

Yes rhm, one would think this is a good bunch of forwards, but they sure are having trouble scoring goals lately. Maybe some are slowed by nagging injuries, I don't know. Also, I am sure things will settle down in the second half, but think about Miami's fourth line last year that usually had Lacombe and Loupee and somebody else (sometimes Vaive?). That gave Miami more depth than they have demonstrated this year, IMO. Was Tommasoni a seventh d or a forward last night? If Tomassoni was a forward, I think that tells you something.

Tomassoni played on the 4th line with heatland and B. Smith. For me it adds to my thought that there is something going on, I know steffes hasn't performed but he had a good soph and junior year and hasn't had regular time all year. For me you don't just yank a senior out of the line up who has performed in the past unless something is going on. I actually think the depth is better on this team this year than last, but thats just me.

As for Jay, I would assume Miami didn't go after him hard. Unless he made drastic and I mean drastic improvements over the past year and half he couldn't of cracked Miami's line up.

Comment

Not to get too far ahead here, but for those interested in coming up to Columbus for the December 11th game against OSU, the Columbus chapter is putting together a Miami section. Here are the full details...

Join the Columbus Alumni Chapter as the #1 Miami Redhawks take to the ice at Value City Arena in Columbus against the Ohio State Buckeyes on Friday, December 11th. The puck drops at 7:05pm. We'll be gathering at Varsity Club just down the road from the arena around 5pm for food and drink. For those who buy their tickets through the Alumni Association, there will be free pizza at Varsity Club.

Tickets are $6 and must be purchased through the Alumni Association via this link. You can pick up your tickets at Varsity Club during the pregame reception or inside the south-east entrance of the arena 30 minutes prior to puck-drop.

We need the Miami section to be larger and louder than the OSU fans (which really shouldn't be too difficult...), so spread the word!

If you have any specific questions, please contact Doug Cutler at douglascut1@gmail.com.

Love & Honor!
                Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Yea agree on J Camper, he didn't develop enough over the past few years for us to give him much interest of anything more than a practice player. Curious as to why he picked UNH though, their older bro played at Cornell I believe.
                  Last edited by mcfarljd; 11-22-2009, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
                    We need the Miami section to be larger and louder than the OSU fans (which really shouldn't be too difficult...), so spread the word!
                    So if we have 200 Miami people there we'll accomplish that.

Comment

Yea agree on J Camper, he didn't develop enough over the past few years for us to give him much interest of anything more than a practice player. Curious as to why he picked UNH though, their older bro played at Cornell I believe.
                      Well I believe it could be because of the NCAA issues they are having they werent allowed to continue to recruit those players where infractions were committed so they had to go after a whole new class. They might of been the only offer he got from a big time program. All just my thoughts, don't know anything for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                        Well I believe it could be because of the NCAA issues they are having they werent allowed to continue to recruit those players where infractions were committed so they had to go after a whole new class. They might of been the only offer he got from a big time program. All just my thoughts, don't know anything for certain.
                        i forgot about that, crazy email malfunctions

Comment

Feeling generous, aren't you? I'm thinking 150.
                          Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Which will get way harder after this weekend.
                            http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Both. Tomassoni was on the 4th line, but he also played on the top PK unit at defense. And, I saw him on the "defense" end of the bench a few times so Rico was using him all over the place. Again, hard to get any continuity with that.

One thing that bothered me about Saturday was that I felt I was watching the Army game all over again where, sure we got a lot of shots, but there really weren't that many quality chances. We were back to our old issues of settling for outside shots and not really driving to the net (with the exception of Miele who was great again) or setting up in front. Now, I've been critical of this team when they're playing a team that packs it in, but we did a better job this weekend. Frankly, when we got the zone and set up 5-on-5, we were working it like a powerplay. That was impressive to see, but we weren't doing enough feet moving down low, nor looking backdoor or side to side. Settled for a lot of wristers from outside the circles without much traffic in front - we did miss Vaive in that regard on Saturday.

And, Wingels HAS to bury that chance in OT that Riley stopped out of pure luck. A better shot just toward the middle of the net goes in.

Comment

Well, we usually do better than that so should be another good Miami crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X