Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which NHL team has caused your school the most damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which NHL team has caused your school the most damage?

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
    Well at least the Islanders are drafting from Minnesota. And drafting Minnesota players is a good thing. I think the Minnesota Wild's history of not recruiting in Minnesota is a bigger concern.
    Are you serious?
    NHL teams don't draft by region (and technically, they don't "recruit" at all). They take what they believe to be the best player available, regardless of where they're from when it's their turn to select. How many teams have more than one or two "homegrown" players on their roster? I'm guessing not a whole lot.
    That's not to say they all have equally adept scouting staffs in every region, however... i.e. the Red Wings seem to have spectacular scouts in Europe while the Devils for years seemed to get a lot more than others out of their U.S. college scouts.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

The state of California in general, but the Sharks and Kings especially. The Sharks sign James Marcou and upcoming sophomore defeseman Matt Irwin at the end of this season and Justin Braun, although a senior, but All-American nonetheless. Also the LA kings a couple of years ago taking Jon Quick. That turned out to be a good move for him though. I'm sure others like Zatkoff wish they stuck around another year.
      Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

On balance, the NHL has been very good with Denver. Sure, we've had lots of early NHL signings, but most of those were inititated by the players, who felt they were ready for the next level, and not so much initiated by the NHL teams themselves.

If you ask the DU staff, they'll tell you they have very good relationships with NHL teams, and I'd believe it. In fact, I really cannot think of an instance where I felt the NHL team really meddled with a DU player.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          As for Turris and Phoenix. Just a dumb move by Phoenix and Kyle. "HEY KYLE, if DANY EFFEN HEATLEY played 2 years in NCAA, you should have done at least 2 and more like 3"

what a shame. that kid was not nearly physically ready for the show.
          In the short time I've been following UW hockey closely, there havent' been a lot of early departures to the pros:

Ryan Suter (1 year, to the Preds): expected, though late in the summer, and things turned out OK for him. And for us, since we won a title so soon after. I'm not upset by it.

Joe Piskula (2 years, Kings): Not sure he was ever NHL ready, but he was undrafted and the money was there, so I don't blame him. Again: it's not like quality defensemen have ever been our problem.

Robbie Earl (3 years, Maple Leafs): Not a shock at all, even when he claimed he was coming back right after winning the title. Plus, we can't blame a team as desperate as the Leafs for pulling him early. If anything, we should be shocked they didn't pull him earlier.

Joe Pavelski (2 years, Sharks): This one really hurt our team, and was sort of a surprise at the time. But, considering how well it's turned out, I don't think anyone is complaining in hindsight.

Jack Skille (2 years, Blackhawks): Also hurt our team big time to have him go, but we were predicting it since before his sophomore year. Could've used the extra year in Madison, but not a shock. Still kind of sucks to see him get the run-around by the Blackhawks (and this has little to nothing to do with them poaching him). If they weren't so cap-tied, they could afford to give him more NHL minutes.

Kyle Turris (1 year, Coyotes/Darren Pang): Had one foot out the door before the regular season was over. The 'Yotes clearly had no intention of letting him develop here, and its a slap in the face of our program that Turris' "unofficial advisor" Pang was so insistent that he get out of UW ASAP.

Jamie McBain (3 years, Hurricanes): Uh... yeah... we were lucky to get three years out of him. See also: Cody Goloubef and Brendan Smith in this offseason.

In summary: only two or three surprise exits, and only one that's worth being upset over. Not bad, really.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
            Id say the Hawks and Wings. Seems like quite a lot of Badgers have ended up on those 2 teams.
            Instead of looking at it as NHL teams, "damaging" the UW hockey program, I look at it more as a testament to how good the UW is at churning out quality hockey players.
            You're all wet, at least as far as the Wings are concerned. The Hawks, on the other hand, have waded pretty deep into the WCHA for their talent.

The last two Badgers the Wings have had on their roster was Chris Chelios, (drafted by the Habs) and Brian Rafalski (drafted by the Devils). You can count on one hand the number of US college players (drafted by the Wings) that have made it to the parent club in recent years. Brett Lebda (Notre Dame), Jimmy Howard (Maine) and Justin Abdelkader (MSU). Drew Miller (MSU) and Patrick Eaves (BC), were acquired in FA. The Wings also had FA Ty Conklin (UNH) last season. (You can also count that Hartigan stiff from SCSU, but he didn't last with the Wings Organization that long after spending most of his time in the AHL.)

I'd hasten to say the same thing about their minor league system in GR (Doug Janik played at Maine in 2000, Pat Rissmiller played at Holy Cross in 2002) and draft selections in general. Brendan Smith is a top prospect that maximized his potential at Wisconsin and will hopefully polish his skills in Grand Rapids and be in Detroit in a couple of years. It's not like the Wings cherry picked him out of Madison as a raw underclassman, buried him in the AHL and then blamed the Badger program for his lack of development. The Wings are one of the most respected and patient NHL clubs when it comes to how they groom their draft choices. Most of their NHL draft choices have been out of Europe or the CHL, not US colleges.

And before you start pounding the Badger drum too loud about "quality hockey players or program", look at what Div I school has the most players on NHL rosters- regardless of whether they were snatched prematurely or not.
            Last edited by streaker; 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM.

Comment

The Coyotes taking Turris 2 years too early really gutted UW's scoring at the point when the WCHA was going to crack down on interference, which really hurt Turris' freshman performance. He would have flourished in the post "interference is ok" era.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                You have to wonder how much longer Garth Snow will be the GM for the Islanders. His teams haven't really lit up the NHL.
                He has a hard time livng up to Milbury's (Millen-esque) screw-ups though.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                  Id say the Hawks and Wings. Seems like quite a lot of Badgers have ended up on those 2 teams.
                  Instead of looking at it as NHL teams, "damaging" the UW hockey program, I look at it more as a testament to how good the UW is at churning out quality hockey players.
                  The Wings? When is the last time they drafted someone from UW? I believe more MTU Huskies have been drafted by the Wings than Badgers. And outside of Rafalski, who they did not draft, nobody in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Stink View Post
                    The Wings? When is the last time they drafted someone from UW?
                    Three years ago. Brendan Smith.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

...maybe a tie between the Canucks and Capitals?

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...erCanucks.html
                      2004-05 ECAC West Pick'em Champion

R·I·T
                      AHA Regular Season Champions 2007,2010
                      AHA Regular Season Co-Champions 2009
                      AHA Tournament Champion 2010
                      NCAA Regional Champion 2010

Comment

Originally posted by jpdailey View Post
                        ...maybe a tie between the Canucks and Capitals?

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...erCanucks.html
                        I think the Canucks just blew the Caps out of the water.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Which NHL team has caused your school the most damage?

The Minnesota Wild! Why? Because they are competing for the same dollar every other hockey team in the state wants in their war chest. No where in the United States does a college hockey team have virtually the same ticket prices as a NHL team.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

The Kalamazoo Wings.

Comment

Originally posted by superfan11 View Post
                              im just shocked okposo didn't get a 15 year deal to play a dozen games a year
                              Happy beat me to this. But yeah. He'll get about that when his rookie contract expires.

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                              Although I am no Garth Snow fan, I don't understand why so many are still bitter about them taking Okposo away when it was clear that he didn't want to be playing for the Gophers anyway. It's not like they got a kid who was a true asset to the program. I know that he "could" have been a GREAT asset to MN Gopher hockey, but he didn't want to be there and it showed. Hell, I think the fans should thank Snow for taking an attitude problem out of the locker room. Now if they (anybody) would only take John Hill out of MN, then the fans could rejoice.
                              I maintain the same thing. The problem with Minnesota isn't really their recruiting. I don't think it is the players themselves really. The problem isn't really Lucia either. The problem is with the assistants.

First, Grant Potulny isn't very experienced and the learning curve of him being at Minnesota as opposed to say, learning the trade at the high school, juniors, or whatever is very high. I'm not saying he CAN'T do it, nor am I predicting he won't be able to or won't be good at it. But let's face it: Inexperienced is inexperienced any way you cut it.

Second, John Hill. IMO, he's the LEADING reason why the Gophers haven't fared well. He's just awful and he's shown that he can't even push the UAA teams he had to even a level of mediocrity. They either sucked horribly or were lucky (sorry Suze and gang).

Potulny will get better with time. Hill will only bring the team down. This is bad for both Potulny and Lucia. Time to fire Hill.

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              Hurts a program or hurts the fans feelings? Minnesota still, and always will get their pick of kids from Minnesota and will have a leg up on almost anyone around the country. It didn't hurt anything.
                              I wouldn't go that far any longer, but I do think they do get first shot at the best Minnesota has to offer. They don't always get their pick, but....

Also, I can't believe no one mentioned Calgary among the Minnesota faithful, especially considering the Okposo circumstances. I mean, Chucko was plucked from Minnesota (though admittedly not mid year) to be an AHLer. Someone tell me Chucko bolted at the right time. Anyone?

As for UND, I believe (and will probably be corrected by someone otherwise) that UND is in the same boat as DU has been. Most of the players have bolted for the pros when they thought they were ready for the next level.
                              Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

Working...
                              X