Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Tourney Format Changing?

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
    This certainly seems like an interesting idea, but there is a trade off. I would assume that attendance would be even less for the "super regional" games, as they would be even further from most schools (for instance, if Fort Wayne and Albany were eliminated this year, that is an extreme distance between Minnesota and Massachusetts), plus you would only be going to see your school for one game. I know that theoretically that is all you are guaranteed even in todays format, but everyone still hopes that they get to see their team twice. I'd gladly welcome teams to Oxford as long as they aren't named BC or BU, but I'm not a fan of the round of 8 potential right now.
    Also, what if, say, Miami hosted a Super Regional and got bounced in the first game. How many people on campus are going to see a potential Boston College vs. Maine regional final matchup in Oxford, OH? I think this idea has failure written all over it.
    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
      Also, what if, say, Miami hosted a Super Regional and got bounced in the first game. How many people on campus are going to see a potential Boston College vs. Maine regional final matchup in Oxford, OH? I think this idea has failure written all over it.
      Why the hell would Miami be hosting a super regional?

My guess is the super regionals would be assigned to bigger metro areas near at least two schools. St. Paul, Detroit, and Boston would be logical choices given their proximity to the WCHA, CCHA, and HE schools.

Comment

I've got a woody just thinking about a three game first round series. Even if it were on the road in some s-h-i-t dump shed out east such as, I don't know, say Lynah.

But here's a thought... How about a 3 game series for round 2 also?

This would almost guarantee a very deserving FF, would eliminate the attendance issues at the Regionals and would create a ton of buzz locally for the teams involved. The extra weekend needed is already built into the schedule, so that wouldn't be an issue. Why am I not on that committee?

Yes, I realize that it would also all but eliminate any hope for a great story such as BSU 2 years ago and RIT this year, but the upside could be huge. Plus, while it's fun to see early round upsets, the reality is that the lower seeded teams have very little chance of actually finishing the deal.

P.S. No total goals series.
        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 05-08-2010, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
          Why the hell would Miami be hosting a super regional?

My guess is the super regionals would be assigned to bigger metro areas near at least two schools. St. Paul, Detroit, and Boston would be logical choices given their proximity to the WCHA, CCHA, and HE schools.
          What I read about the super regionals is they would be like the NCAA baseball tournament and stay on campus. If they did move these to larger venues, they aren't going to sell out anything in Boston, Detroit, or St. Paul. Theyd still end up in a Worcester or Ft. Wayne.

Comment

Let's hypothetically say that Miami did host a "super-regional." Just have two games on Friday or two games Saturday. So last year @ Miami, you would have Wisconsin/SCSU @ 5 p.m. and Miami/Michigan @ 8 p.m. - and it's one ticket, like the regionals are currently for the semifinal rd. Maybe you don't get a full house for the 5 p.m. game, but it wouldn't be as bad as it is now. Besides - what's the motivation to have the home team play first? That makes no sense to me (see the Minnesota rule in the Final 5).
            What I read about the super regionals is they would be like the NCAA baseball tournament and stay on campus. If they did move these to larger venues, they aren't going to sell out anything in Boston, Detroit, or St. Paul. Theyd still end up in a Worcester or Ft. Wayne.
            Now, as to campus sites for super-regionals, I haven't read that anywhere. In fact, every story I've read is quoting Brad Scholssman, Here's his article, and here's his quote about the super-regionals:

The eight teams advancing to the quarterfinals would play at one of two super regional sites. The quarterfinals would be one-game shots with a trip to the Frozen Four on the line. The Frozen Four would not change.
            I don't read anything in that about campus sites (or neutral sites for that matter). I think that since the first part is specifically about campus sites, it's safe to speculate that the super regionals wouldn't be on campus since it isn't mentioned. You'd think that would be addressed if it were on campus...
            Last edited by moose97; 05-08-2010, 08:27 AM.
            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
            ECAC:
            HEA: UMass
            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

It's just my opinion but giving the higher seed the advantage of both a home game and a 3 game series is too much.

The real problem here as I see it is that there is no attendance at the regional games and the NCAA loses money, or at least does not make much.I think the rest of the reasons are just eyewash.

Look at the places we play these games. Right now we force teams like DU or UND or whoever to travel to the east. I mean regularly we have Albany and Worcester as both the Mideast and East. As far as I'm concerned these are both really East games. we might as well play them in the same rink, they are so close.
              Worcester's rink sucks and Albany is not really an improvement. So if we could find a way to boost the atmosphere and reduce travel that would be good and also reward the teams like DU that play well all year.

now it's just an idea, but if we routinely had the regionals in venues where there was most likely going to be atmosphere, Say The Fleet center, or Joe Louis, or the Pepsi Center, or XCEL, and if we had them there every year for say 5 or 6 years straight, wouldn't we preserve at least some neutrality for teams like DU and at the same time boost revenue and fun as well.
              I'm not sure I like the 3 game set up, and 3 games at home guarantees, imho that the home team moves on.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I'd prefer they hold 2 regionals in one site. That brings in 8 teams and gives six games. I think it would be great!
                Providence College
                National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                  I'm sick of people suggesting that college hockey should be, and the NCAA attempting to make college hockey, a main stream sport with national appeal. This is college hockey, and screw trying to make it fit into that "tried and true" mold of college basketball. If people don't get turned on by the excitement, intensity, and electric arenas, then I really don't care if they take no interest in "our" sport.
                  Amen.

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                  I also really agree with the folks who tout this as a way to reward the teams that have put together a quality regular season. College hockey is more prone to underdog wins than any other sport I have witnessed. When you couple that with the fact that over 1/4 of all teams get to play in the national tournament, it makes the regular season seem a bit insignificant.
                  This is the best aspect of all of this new idea (which I'm guessing will never see the light of day). I find it distressing that so little regard is paid to the regular season. I am tired of the sentiment, expressed so often, that "I don't care what my team does in the regular season so long as they make it to the (one-and-done) NCAA tournament". I find this thinking incomprehensible. This new format would increase the value of all the effort the team puts into the regular season.

Comment

How about just have 2 "Mega-Regionals", one in the east and one in the west (8 teams per regional, all single elimination). Hold it from Thursday to Sunday. That would probably be the best way to maximize attendance.

Comment

• Re: NCAA Tourney Format Changing?

How about just have 2 "Mega-Regionals", one in the east and one in the west (8 teams per regional, all single elimination). Hold it from Thursday to Sunday. That would probably be the best way to maximize attendance.
                      It's been tried. From the 1991-92 season through the 2001-02 season, 6 teams were sent to both an East and West regional. Attendance sucked unless the regional happened to be played on the home ice of one of the participants, like Michigan or Minnesota.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                        The only problem with a Friday is that you have to either play the early game while everyone is still at work or the late game after many have gone to bed - bad for ratings either way.
                        Well they play the FF on a thursday at 4:30-5 and 8-8:30 what would be the difference?
                        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          It's been tried. From the 1991-92 season through the 2001-02 season, 6 teams were sent to both an East and West regional. Attendance sucked unless the regional happened to be played on the home ice of one of the participants, like Michigan or Minnesota.
                          I know, but the top teams got byes, etc. They also put them in smaller arenas like Worcester. I think college hockey is much bigger now than it was in the 90's (remember when the NCAA final was an afternoon game), so it may be something to consider. Personally, I like it the way it is.

Comment

It's time to face reality. On-campus sites (such as the first round in this proposal) is the only thing that's going to get good attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              But here's a thought... How about a 3 game series for round 2 also?

This would almost guarantee a very deserving FF, would eliminate the attendance issues at the Regionals and would create a ton of buzz locally for the teams involved. The extra weekend needed is already built into the schedule, so that wouldn't be an issue. Why am I not on that committee?
                              Works for me.

Frankly, I find it INCONCEIVABLE! that you are not on that committee.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                How about a 3 game series for round 2 also?
                                If both the first and second rounds were best of three on home ice of the higher seeds, you may as well just shrink the tournament to four teams and start with the frozen four because 90-95% of the time, you'd probably see the four #1 seeds advance under this scenario.

Comment

Working...
                                X