Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University Offseason Thread 2: Moving Forward by Booting Forwards

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    I have a problem with releasing players from their scholarship just because they haven't met your expectations. Unless Bennett was like Saponari, I don't think that was right at all.
    Bennett was not released from his scholarship; he was kicked off the team. He still could have attended BU for free. I don't see the issue with Parker deciding who plays and who doesn't play for him. Parker didn't decide Bennett couldn't get a free education.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
      Because of the timing of the Freep articles, it's easy to see how some people are led to believe that on Monday, Jack suspended Vinny, then less than 24 hours later, decided to dismiss him from the team.

Based on 3hock's post from last week, it sounded like the suspensions were already handed out days before Monday's Freep article was published. I suspect FL had to verify his sources before publishing the article, hence the presumed lag time between the day the suspensions were actually handed out and the day the first article was published.

As others have suggested, I believe something else must have transpired from the time Vinny was informed of his suspension that led to his dismissal. This is why I'm not sure I agree w/ Jack when he said to Vinny the puckstar incident didn't factor into his decision...
      You are correct that my article did not just magically come together in one day on Monday. I had been working on that since 3hock's first post on the matter, which I believe was last Wed or Thurs (I don't really feel like going back to find the post). I talked to all my sources on Mon, so that article was as up to date as my sources were. As for when Parker changed his mind from suspending Vinny to dismissing him, if that is indeed what happened, I have no idea and neither do my sources. I do believe that Vinny was genuinely shocked and blindsided by his dismissal, though. Victor, probably not so much.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
        You are correct that my article did not just magically come together in one day on Monday. I had been working on that since 3hock's first post on the matter, which I believe was last Wed or Thurs (I don't really feel like going back to find the post). I talked to all my sources on Mon, so that article was as up to date as my sources were. As for when Parker changed his mind from suspending Vinny to dismissing him, if that is indeed what happened, I have no idea and neither do my sources. I do believe that Vinny was genuinely shocked and blindsided by his dismissal, though. Victor, probably not so much.
        Considering this is Jack Parker we're talking about, the other possible reason for the timing of this dismissal is he needed a scholarship to give a certain player who had just committed from a prominant school in the west and booting Saponari was his means to find scholarship space...

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
          Considering this is Jack Parker we're talking about, the other possible reason for the timing of this dismissal is he needed a scholarship to give a certain player who had just committed from a prominant school in the west and booting Saponari was his means to find scholarship space...
          FWIW, I have not heard anyone other than pure speculators on here use freeing up as a scholarship as any sort of reason.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
            FWIW, I have not heard anyone other than pure speculators on here use freeing up as a scholarship as any sort of reason.
            And generally one would not expect a returning first line player to be a casualty to bring in a recruit, especially one who has only really had one statistically strong year in a reputable league. May said player end up here? I wouldn't rule it out. Was that Parker's motivation for cutting a first line forward? I highly doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyNoblesIsLife View Post
              From what I heard about Bennett, the team didn't want him there and he refused to try hard in practice. If he doesn't care about how he plays on the ice, he doesn't deserve 50k a year to go to school.

As for Saponari, I definitely think what he did was wrong, but I don't understand what he did that got him kicked off the team. He would have had to do something egregiously worse than Trivino, and while it does seem there were cumulative issues leading up to the dismissal, it doesn't sound like any of that was that serious until after his season review meeting with the coaches. I also don't know if the plan was to suspend him, and then something changed on Tuesday morning, or if the plan was to punish him and they decided the punishment Tuesday morning (and thus they didn't plan on suspending him and something changed between Monday and Tuesday).

It just seems strange to me that the drinking thing happened in March, and the three of them are getting punished now.

What hapened with Russ Barlett and David Klema?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                Motherwell just decided to leave (not sure what O'Hanley ended up doing).
                Motherwell withdrew from school to avoid the school's judicial process; i dont recall about o'hanley either. anyway, apparently the two have re-united on the same team somewhere.
                “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                  And generally one would not expect a returning first line player to be a casualty to bring in a recruit, especially one who has only really had one statistically strong year in a reputable league. May said player end up here? I wouldn't rule it out. Was that Parker's motivation for cutting a first line forward? I highly doubt it.
                  I agree with all this.

Comment

Changing topics for a post, Maine released its sked today. BU will host Maine on 11/6 and travel to the middle of nowhere for a series on 1/28-29.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                      Klema scored for PC

Actually his situation seemed quite similar to Brett's highly touted recruit, struggled initially, and had no interest in listening to his coaches on how to improve his game. I don't recall anything anything ever being reported one way or another whether he was allowed to keep his scholarship, although since the dismissal took place one month into his senior year I would wager money he was able to keep his scholarship.

Bartlett is from a time when I was still just a casual fan, I have absolutely no idea.
                      Last edited by Agganis; 05-05-2010, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                        Jack was not happy with Bartlett's soft playing style, which reminded him a lot of how Craig Janney played, so much so that it caused him to puke.
                        Fighting the good fight

Comment

Klema scored for PC

Actually his situation seemed quite similar to Brett's highly touted recruit, struggled initially, and had no interest in listening to his coaches on how to improve his game. I don't recall anything anything ever being reported one way or another whether he was allowed to keep his scholarship, although since the dismissal took place one month into his senior year I would wager money he was able to keep his scholarship.

Barlett is from a time when I was still just a casual fan, I have absolutely no idea.
                          From the best of my memory...

1. Klema - JP's perception was an overall lack of committment. The final straw being DK not being insufficiently devoted to off-ice conditioning prior to the season. I don't think he was an athletic scholarship guy.

2. Bartlett - My perception was that Bartlett wasn't hard-nosed enough for Parker. He was 6' 1'', or taller, and played like he was 5' 6'' or so. He was the aniti-Brad Zancanaro. Bartlett could've kept his scholarship, but decided to transfer to SLU.

Again, to the best of my knowledge, there were no "conduct unbecoming" issues with either of them
                          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Klema scored for PC

Bartlett is from a time when I was still just a casual fan, I have absolutely no idea.
                            I thought Klema lost interest in hockey, burned out and quit the team? Maybe Parker helped him make up his mind, but I didn't think Parker kicked him off.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                              Bartlett could've kept his scholarship, but decided to transfer to SLU.
                              and played in that game...

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                              I thought Klema lost interest in hockey, burned out and quit the team? Maybe Parker helped him make up his mind, but I didn't think Parker kicked him off.
                              Definitely kicked off, maybe his lack of interest caused behavior that led Parker to decide to kick him off before he could quit, I don't know, but I'm certain he was dismissed by the coaches.
                              Last edited by Agganis; 05-05-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                                Nope, there is no reason to consider what you suggest as a possible scenario. Parker has never booted a player for that reason. And hypothetically, if it were just to free up a scholly, Saponari was far from the likely choice.

Bennett and Bartlett were both dismissed for cause, as were the Lappins. Bennett for reasons previously posted here; Bartlett because he simply refused to play physical hockey. Even then, Parker helped him get picked up by SLU. Numerous lesser players--walk-ons--have not been invited back, for a variety of reasons.

While recruited players will assume they'll be invited back each season after their freshman year, there is no guarantee if you're not meeting program requirements--on the ice, off the ice, in the classroom.

These types of dismissals happen in all programs, including Ivies and even "up the street."
                                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X