Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the "darkhorse" in the WCHA this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who will be the "darkhorse" in the WCHA this season?

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
    CC may be depleted but they're a top caliber program, they'll find a way to bounce back and put together a pretty good year. Mankato ISN'T anything special, and will continue to be that way. I'm glad you didn't say anything about SCSU, because I'm just sick and tired of hearing about Jesus Christ (Mike Lee) savior of all going in goal this year. And how do you figure we lost everybody at tUMD? Last time I checked we still have the Connelly's, Fontaine, a good physical core of defensemen, and a heck of a goalie taking Stalock's place in Brady Hjelle. Not to mention we're gaining Dylan Olsen, preseason pick to be rookie of the year, and Mike Seidel, who I know has proven nothing but is said to be a great goal scorer. You can sit here and say all you want that the only reason we made that late season run is because of stalock, but that would be a total load of crap. Any goalie can look good when you get one shot on you in the third period of the championship game. (as beersong stated) A strong physical defense (which will only get better when you add a couple of talented 6 foot something 200 and some odd pound defenders in) can get you a long ways, and tends to help unseasoned goalies. I'm not saying tUMD is going to be a dark horse, or that UAA can't be. All I'm saying is don't write people off without knowing all the facts first.
    You really don't get the point of a message board do you?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Yes, and we all know that performance in the USHL is directly proportional to what happens in the WCHA.

My post was specifically about your rule change. The rule was that freshmen goaltenders coming in right away and being effective is rare. You've now stated that that has changed. I'm questioning that.
      Well we all knew that performance in HS as directly proportional to what happens in the USHL and he did fine even after being questioned as to whether he was that good or what it just Roseau was that good.
      Fan pressure didn't affect him becoming the USHL's top goalie, fan pressure also did not make him the top rated American goalie at the draft and the likely starter for Team USA at the WJC in December.
      Fans also aren't the ones to say he'd bring SCSU a national title, the fans aren't the ones who said he would be the best goalie we've seen and said it the week after he committed to SCSU. (That would be Blais and Morinville)
      Fact is he's been one of the best if not the best goalie for his age at every level he's played and now you say it's unreasonable to say he can be that again in college.
      Fact is we are not saying he's going to be a stud or the best as a freshman, not one SCSU fan is saying that.
      In fact, if you ask us, most of us would say he's likely going to be a bit shaky as a freshman at stretches but that he still probably is the goalie that gives us the best chance to win.
      All we are saying is he has the hype for a reason, he has the talent and has so far backed up that talent with his performance.
      Freshmen goalies have been the backstops to the past 2 WCHA and NCAA titles so I don't think it is automatic that a freshman will struggle.
      That's all I said, not that every freshman goalie will step up just that you can't automatically look at a team and say "they have a freshman in net, they will struggle."
      For SCSU, the pressure is on the defense, not on Lee.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        You really don't get the point of a message board do you?
        I'm not gonna lie to you, I have no idea what that even means.
        "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          I wish him luck then because if the defense hangs him out to dry it'll be his numbers everyone will look at.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Will "Thank Parise" or, "Dear Parise" now be replaced with, "Thank Lee"?
            Hearing all the praises coming out of the Jan Brady contingent I would think so.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              I wish him luck then because if the defense hangs him out to dry it'll be his numbers everyone will look at.
              If his numbers are bad, and it is the defense and not him that's the problem, then any fan who blames him for it, especially as a freshman, is an idiot.
              The problem here seems to be that no one outside of SCSU seems to think the D can even be better, not that they will be, but that they even can be.
              IMO, it's naive to say that just because something was a liability last year it has to be again as experience does count and they are returning 6 guys who played at least 20 games last year.
              The D doesn't have to be spectacular, but improved and consistent would be nice to see and that is what the season will hinge on.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

I'm not gonna lie to you, I have no idea what that even means.
                Name one person the this board that has "all the facts?" No one has anywhere near all the facts...its not like we have daily injury reports or video tape of practices to see how the lines are working together...all of this is total BS based on our narrow opinions of games we've watched, box scores we've read and our gut...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  I said the same thing earlier in the thread.

Maybe we both suck.
                  I see that. I agree with your reasoning as well.

Sorry if you end up sucking.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

You're going to owe me 2 appetizers...thats what he is talking about
                    remind everyone of our bet big guy.
                    Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

...and our gut...
                      I won't go there - it's too easy.
                      tUMD

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        I already sang their praises (albeit backhandedly) in the 09-10 WCHA preview poll, but keep your eye on UAA this season. They finished ninth despite scoring 23 points last season, and returned just about everyone including a ton of goal-scoring now-seniors. If not for the second half slump, they could have finished right in the thick of the pack.

They do have some significant holes they will need to overcome to fulfill this role. Their biggest weaknesses are in goal and on the penalty kill. I'm not sure I'd consider Olthuis or Christiansen "world-beaters." Also, when Michigan Tech hangs 4 PPG on you in a weekend, you're in big trouble.

The bottom half of this conference is always a logjam. If - IF - UAA shores everything up and uses their experience to keep it together down the stretch, I could definitely see them winning a horse race against depleted tUMD and CC squads and finishing as high as sixth.
                        I'm with you, and would predict UAA to finish fifth.
                        World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                          Well we all knew that performance in HS as directly proportional to what happens in the USHL and he did fine even after being questioned as to whether he was that good or what it just Roseau was that good.
                          Fan pressure didn't affect him becoming the USHL's top goalie, fan pressure also did not make him the top rated American goalie at the draft and the likely starter for Team USA at the WJC in December.
                          Fans also aren't the ones to say he'd bring SCSU a national title, the fans aren't the ones who said he would be the best goalie we've seen and said it the week after he committed to SCSU. (That would be Blais and Morinville)
                          Fact is he's been one of the best if not the best goalie for his age at every level he's played and now you say it's unreasonable to say he can be that again in college.
                          Fact is we are not saying he's going to be a stud or the best as a freshman, not one SCSU fan is saying that.
                          In fact, if you ask us, most of us would say he's likely going to be a bit shaky as a freshman at stretches but that he still probably is the goalie that gives us the best chance to win.
                          All we are saying is he has the hype for a reason, he has the talent and has so far backed up that talent with his performance.
                          Freshmen goalies have been the backstops to the past 2 WCHA and NCAA titles so I don't think it is automatic that a freshman will struggle.That's all I said, not that every freshman goalie will step up just that you can't automatically look at a team and say "they have a freshman in net, they will struggle."
                          The bolded part is a flawed argument, in my opinion. Look at the teams those freshmen goalies had in front of them, particularly the last 2 national champions: Boston College and Boston University. BU is loaded on the blue line, and still is and Kieran Milan had a very good defense in front of him. Don't get me wrong, good goalie... but he also had the d in front of him... BC had a very talented team when they won the national championship, and John Muse struggled last year. For a freshman goalie to succeed, a lot of things have to fall in line.

Comment

You can sit here and say all you want that the only reason we made that late season run is because of stalock, but that would be a total load of crap.
                            You're right. The reason why UMD made that late season run was because of Stalock and Sharp. So, as long as you return both those guys, I think UMD is going to be a contender.
                            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

UAA WILL BE THE SURPRISE IN THE WCHA THIS SEASON
                              Upper Deck Fan

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                                The bolded part is a flawed argument, in my opinion. Look at the teams those freshmen goalies had in front of them, particularly the last 2 national champions: Boston College and Boston University. BU is loaded on the blue line, and still is and Kieran Milan had a very good defense in front of him. Don't get me wrong, good goalie... but he also had the d in front of him... BC had a very talented team when they won the national championship, and John Muse struggled last year. For a freshman goalie to succeed, a lot of things have to fall in line.
                                I'm not arguing that and nowhere did I say that I think Lee will do the same, my argument is simple.
                                It's no longer automatic that a team with a freshman goalie will struggle, that's it.
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Working...
                                X