Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks Offseason Thread: “I’ll be back”...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks Offseason Thread: “I’ll be back”...

Originally posted by mmf View Post

Maybe we should consider changing bait. I see where Karr has opened up a whole new can of worms.
    That is putting it mildly. What are your all's thoughts on Karr? He's not making any friends here at the USCHO.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Is it October yet? I didn't even get my hockey fix for the Stanley Cup, channel 11 crapped out on me AGAIN right around the playoffs. Horrible timing, those leaves...

I dunno about overall, but I think Karr really botched up the whole rules thing. Funny thing is, that icing on the PK rule would really have been in the Nooks' favor, since they hardly take penalties, generally do a good job killing off what penalties they do take, and most of their problems on the powerplay were from having a hard time maintaining possession in the offensive zone before the other team cleared the puck, and the Nooks would have to go all the way down the ice to get it and then struggle to regain the zone. All that being the case, that was still a pretty horrible rule Hopefully it doesn't go into effect.

What's up with the schedule taking so long to come out? We know the non-conference dates, and a good portion of the conference dates as well, based on other teams releasing their schedules. Are the last few conference games really that hard to figure out, or is somebody just being lazy?

Comment

Late breaking news:

So far this offseason...
        ...no DUIs, urinating in public, or indecent exposures reported
        ...no felonies, misdemeanors, or library book fines reported
        ...no flunk outs or defections announced
        ...no coaching changes announced
        ...no 2010-11 schedule published yet
        ...no updated information on the Brice Goal Rush Tourney web site
        ...no updated information about any of the incoming recruits
        ...no reason not to be excited about the upcoming season
        ...no reason to bump this thread, except I wanted to
        #1, 2 & 3 I am surprised
        #4 no Fairbanks High school coach looking for work
        #5, 6 & 7 I am not surprised
        #8 unless the chairman of the rules committee implements some of the goofy rule changes he is proposing
        #9 trying to help a brother out
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          I watched most of the games and don't remember even seeing him or hearing his name. Glad someone associated with Alaska hockey won the cup. Thanks for posting.
          I drank beer out of the cup both years with Scotty
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            That is putting it mildly. What are your all's thoughts on Karr? He's not making any friends here at the USCHO.
            Certainly have to give him credit for the hockey program taking some big steps in the last couple years (granted most of that is thanks to Dallas, but it was Karr that hired the man), but basketball has fallen off the face of the earth on his watch. I was never a huge fan of Al Sokaitis personally, but the man can flat out coach basketball and near as I can tell he loved UAF...it's unfortunate that a falling out occurred.

Karr is very well educated and seems to be talented, but I do question some of his moves and hiring techniques. I think he puts too much emphasis on trotting out candidates in front of the community...he should just make a decision and not let himself get influenced by a few squeaky wheels. He doesn't strike me as the "born leader" type.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Whoa...if we start posting everything our athletic department/director sucks at then we'll have more posts than an MTU/NMU thread. So I'm not even going there. But thanks for the opportunity to bump the thread.

Extremely quite with anything related to hockey around here. Not even sure if anybody is in town, or if anybody is skating or working out regularly at the Patty. We start off the season with four tough non-conference games, so Ben Gay should be their BFF. Any sightings?

Comment

Whoa...if we start posting everything our athletic department/director sucks at then we'll have more posts than an MTU/NMU thread. So I'm not even going there. But thanks for the opportunity to bump the thread.

Extremely quite with anything related to hockey around here. Not even sure if anybody is in town, or if anybody is skating or working out regularly at the Patty. We start off the season with four tough non-conference games, so Ben Gay should be their BFF. Any sightings?
                Yes our athletic department can be quite the punching bag sometimes. But winning breeds winning. That's why this year will be, in my opinion, critical for Dallas and his staff: three straight years of solid CCHA play with another chance at an NCAA berth will go a long way to validating our program in the college hockey world. I think a lot of "insiders" and similar types still think we are a flash in the pan. Three years in a row of turning heads will garner a lot of respect; a down year gives the doubters that much more firepower. Fortunately I think we have the chops to have another solid year. There's no reason that reaching a regional final shouldn't be an attainable goal for this year's team.

Basketball, on the other hand, is too depressing to even think about. That a state school with 9,000 students can't pull more than 200 people for a basketball game is beyond ridiculous, it's embarrassing.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post

Basketball, on the other hand, is too depressing to even think about. That a state school with 9,000 students can't pull more than 200 people for a basketball game is beyond ridiculous, it's embarrassing.
                  Either 8,800 are not dumb enough to walk to the Patty Center at -50, or are staying locked in their dorm room guarding all the stuff mom sent them from home.

Comment

Come on MMF at least do your top 10 reasons. I know if I primed you with a 12 pack of Silver Gulch Amber Ale’s you would rattle off at least 50 before I needed to make another beer run.
                    I'm smoking a boatload of red salmon, so if you need some party snacks let me know.

Comment

Usually on August 1st, cool mornings foreshadow the on-coming hockey season. But it's been 85 the last couple of days and is supposed to be that way through mid-week. I don't envy you warm weather folks (anything south of Whitehorse ) The sun is still shining bright until about 10:30pm here and hockey season seems like a long way off.

But the season will be here before we know it. I have photo evidence lest we forget. Here is a picture from this evening, with the Carlson Center in the background, and one from a few short months ago.

*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Photography/Hodgepodge/Misc-Forum-Posts/20100801-10/955503706_vcvPo-M.jpg****** *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Photography/Hodgepodge/Misc-Forum-Posts/IMG8296/955511628_QUau6-M.jpg******

Saw a couple of the players this past week. Seems like only a few stayed in town to work out. I realize a lot of the guys probably have connections or workout routines back home. Hope they were able to stay self motivated and come back in even better shape then when they left. We have a solid core returning, and with a lot of hard work and a little luck we should be able to make a little noise.

While I'm bumping the thread, maybe one of you knowledgeable fans out there can add a little insight. I know we have a few lurkers just needing a reason to sign up and jump in. Here's your chance.

I expect a few of the returnees to start drifting back in August, but probably not see any of the new guys until almost September. Is everybody we expect still coming? Any rumors of clearinghouse issues or change of heart?

Are we still getting new boards and taller glass. Our family is changing sides and seats this year - up behind the railing and facing the team benches. I'm curious about the sightlines into the corners with the seamless glass.

And finally, I see where Calista Native Corp. bought Brice Inc. Does Calista have any ex Nanook goalies on staff that can sway them to continue to sponsor the "Goal Rush" Tourney?

Go Nooks!

Comment

Usually on August 1st, cool mornings foreshadow the on-coming hockey season. But it's been 85 the last couple of days and is supposed to be that way through mid-week. I don't envy you warm weather folks (anything south of Whitehorse ) The sun is still shining bright until about 10:30pm here and hockey season seems like a long way off.

But the season will be here before we know it. I have photo evidence lest we forget. Here is a picture from this evening, with the Carlson Center in the background, and one from a few short months ago.

*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Photography/Hodgepodge/Misc-Forum-Posts/20100801-10/955503706_vcvPo-M.jpg****** *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Photography/Hodgepodge/Misc-Forum-Posts/IMG8296/955511628_QUau6-M.jpg******

Saw a couple of the players this past week. Seems like only a few stayed in town to work out. I realize a lot of the guys probably have connections or workout routines back home. Hope they were able to stay self motivated and come back in even better shape then when they left. We have a solid core returning, and with a lot of hard work and a little luck we should be able to make a little noise.

While I'm bumping the thread, maybe one of you knowledgeable fans out there can add a little insight. I know we have a few lurkers just needing a reason to sign up and jump in. Here's your chance.

I expect a few of the returnees to start drifting back in August, but probably not see any of the new guys until almost September. Is everybody we expect still coming? Any rumors of clearinghouse issues or change of heart?

Are we still getting new boards and taller glass. Our family is changing sides and seats this year - up behind the railing and facing the team benches. I'm curious about the sightlines into the corners with the seamless glass.

And finally, I see where Calista Native Corp. bought Brice Inc. Does Calista have any ex Nanook goalies on staff that can sway them to continue to sponsor the "Goal Rush" Tourney?

Go Nooks!
                        There will be new boards and glass this year. Or atleast I haven't heard any reason why they'd cancel the new glass and boards.

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                          There will be new boards and glass this year. Or atleast I haven't heard any reason why they'd cancel the new glass and boards.
                          The student section will not get to beat the new ones into submission like they did last ones.
                          The mean security people will launch them back out in the -40 weather that the locals love.

Comment

On this sad day for Alaska with the passing of former US Senator Stevens (or commanly known to us up here as Uncle Ted), I needed to think about something happier. So my first thoughts always goes to my Nooks. Writing in this forum is a healthy outlet, so here goes my bump on this thread....

Dallas will show that he can coach when expected to win! Right off, the first couple of non-conference games should tell alot. I will be down in Anchorage to catch the North Dakota game (can't wait).
                            The Nooks will not surprise anyone this year. It will be tough, but I think they will elevate their game another level not ever seen by them.
                            The future is very bright for our program and Dallas is the guy who will take them there!
                            Go Nooks!
                            Last edited by Schlacker Rat; 08-10-2010, 09:08 PM.
                            Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

I see where the Athletic Department has updated the 2010-11 roster.

Beck (#36), Kunyk (#37), Quinn (#6) are listed with numbers not used last year, Slemp is listed with #10, Brandon's Knelsen's old number. Not sure if jersey numbers are subject to change once everyone gets here or not. Now if they could only update the Brice Tourney link.

88 degrees here today. Maybe a record. Very unusual for Fairbanks in mid August. Doesn't feel like hockey at all. It's not worth getting excited until you have to start scraping ice of your windshield in the mornings. Maybe next weekend.

Go Nooks!

Comment

I see where the Athletic Department has updated the 2010-11 roster.
                                They have been very busy It is a very hard job updating …cut , paste and now having to change a sweater number that is a skill that very few have knowledge to pull that off at UA_ .
                                Beck (#36), Kunyk (#37), Quinn (#6) are listed with numbers not used last year, Slemp is listed with #10, Brandon's Knelsen's old number. Not sure if jersey numbers are subject to change once everyone gets here or not. Now if they could only update the Brice Tourney link.
                                players covet the number they picked in peewee hockey and change back to it as soon as possible to the ire of the sports Department because it make for a very long day for them with all the changes

88 degrees here today. Maybe a record. Very unusual for Fairbanks in mid August. Doesn't feel like hockey at all. It's not worth getting excited until you have to start scraping ice of your windshield in the mornings. Maybe next weekend. Go Nooks!
                                +88’ and no smoke from raging brush fires at the edge of the town is unheard of the tundra village up north, also in a few short weeks a few special squatters in the village will get to flash their pink jeweled collectors Mary Kay Ice scraper’s in _airbanks because very few have them to flaunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X