Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

here we go!
    Sioux Yeah Yeah

Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

What is it, 10 days and counting now until the Manitoba exhibition?

Bring on the hockey!
    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

This should be a memorable season for North Dakota. It looks to be the last season under the Sioux nickname, and we return as MacNaughton Champs, but are far from favorites to repeat.

Here are my thoughts...

1 - I think we should compete for another MacNaughton, and be a top-3 team in the WCHA.

2 - I think we should have the depth to compete in March and hopefully into April. In other words, I think we have the talent to compete for a Championship.

3 - Goaltending should improve. Whether we can improve our offensive output and special teams will determine how far we go this season.

4 - I hope we can send the nickname out in style, with a WCHA Title, Final Five Championship, and a National Title.

5 - As far as the nickname goes, I hope if we must get rid of it that we chose to be simply the University of North Dakota. That gives us a little wiggle room in case we can ever get a 30 year deal done with the tribes to bring the logo back (huge long shot at that point though). If we must get a new nickname, I hope we pick the North Stars.

6 - I think the WCHA is slightly stronger than last year, but still weak in comparison to the 2005 year. Saying that, I see two WCHA teams in the Frozen Four (Denver and North Dakota). As for the other two, look for BC to get back in the mix, and Michigan to return.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
        What is it, 10 days and counting now until the Manitoba exhibition?

Bring on the hockey!
        10 days 18 hours 39 min 0 sec but who's counting

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          If we must get a new nickname, I hope we pick the North Stars.
          Given the fact that the Minnesota North Stars is somewhat iconic in the minds and hearts of many Minnesota hockey fans, I sincerely hope the UND admin. will exercise sound judgment and give precedence to other options.

Comment

6 - I think the WCHA is slightly stronger than last year, but still weak in comparison to the 2005 year. Saying that, I see two WCHA teams in the Frozen Four (Denver and North Dakota). As for the other two, look for BC to get back in the mix, and Michigan to return.
            you can never count out BC or Michigan, but I think you only see one WCHA team this year. Miami of Ohio will make a run, Notre Dame will be there, and I wouldn't rule out Air Force either. North Dakota has the grit to make it this year though. The big question is Eidsness, IMO.
            Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

UND made it into the THN Jersey semi-finals:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...emifinals.html

The four teams remaining are the Blackhawks vs Habs & Sioux vs Bruins.

Right now the poll has 55/45 in favor of the Sioux.
              The Sioux might as well go out on top this year, because I doubt that next year's Flickertail jersey will make it into the competition.
              I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                Given the fact that the Minnesota North Stars is somewhat iconic in the minds and hearts of many Minnesota hockey fans, I sincerely hope the UND admin. will exercise sound judgment and give precedence to other options.
                I know who the North Stars were

It's a way to keep alive a great hockey nickname, and just replace the yellow in the jerseys to black, and we still have a very nice logo/jersey.
                North Dakota

Comment

Good Lord, how many times must I say this:
                  What's the state motto of Minnesota?
                  "L'Etoile du Nord" ... "Star of the North"

Why the {bleep} would North Dakota want to use that moniker.
                  Last edited by The Sicatoka; 09-24-2009, 12:59 PM.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                    Good Lord, how many times must I say this:
                    What's the state motto of Minnesota?
                    "L'Etoile du Nord" ... "Star of the North"

Why the {bleep} would North Dakota want to use that moniker.
                    Are you suggesting we change our name to the Peace Gardens?
                    sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                      Are you suggesting we change our name to the Peace Gardens?
                      Well, he's using Minnesota's state motto. North Dakota's is...

Liberty and Union, Now and Forever, One and Inseparable.

Perhaps we could be the North Dakota Liberty or the North Dakota Union.

A few other great possibilities...

the state dance: Here come your University of North Dakota Square Dancers!
                      state fish: The University of North Dakota Fightin' Northern Pike
                      state flower: The University of North Dakota Wild Prairie Roses
                      state bird: The University of North Dakota Western Meadowlarks
                      state horse: The University of North Dakota Fightin' Nakotas

I prefer no nickname, but if we must pick one, I like the North Stars. I don't really care if Minnesota's state motto references the North Star, or if Alaska's Flag has the North Star on it.
                      North Dakota

Comment

state horse: The University of North Dakota Fightin' Nakotas
                        Can't use that one, Nakota also refers to Native Americans
                        sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

UND adds a great power forward recruit to their 2010 or 2011 class:
                          Welcome aboard Brock Nelson.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...65/group/home/

At 6-foot-4, 185 pounds, Nelson has great size to go along with a strong skill set. He scored 45 goals and racked up 76 points for the state runner-up Warroad Warriors a year ago.

Nelson currently is playing in the Minnesota high school elite league, which features most of the best prep players in the state. Nelson is the second-leading scorer in the league with five goals, seven assists and 12 points in six games. His team, Great Plains, is 4-1-1.
                          Tall kid, if he adds some weight/muscle to that frame he could really be another VV type player for UND in years to come.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                            Can't use that one, Nakota also refers to Native Americans
                            So does Illini, but the University of Illinois managed to get away with it by saying that it also refers to the people of Illinois.

We should just convince the North Dakota state Legislature to pass a bill that calls the people of North Dakota "Sioux".
                            North Dakota

Comment

Brad Miller Time returns:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=60390

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X