Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

A couple of random thoughts following this weekend's big series.

First, if the first two weeks are any indication, this year's blueliners may end up being the most offensively proficient of any I've seen. Two of four goals on Friday. All three on Saturday. I really hope the consistent threat from the blueline opens things up down low for the forwards to show their talent.

I hope the old axiom about baseball applies to college hockey: That success is based upon strength up the middle. I really like the centers (VV, Malone and Zajac) on our top three lines. Great along the boards, on faceoffs, etc... That will help our younger forwards.

Finally, I really like that the Ralph has become a tough place for visitors to pick up any points. That was an advantage the great teams of the '80's, and Dean Blais' late '90's teams had, and it's good to see Hak and the boys starting to develop a little of that.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
      UND is now ranked #2 in both the USCHO and INCH rankings. Miami is 1st in both. That Thanksgiving tourney at REA with OSU and Miami should have huge PWR implications.

http://insidecollegehockey.com/5Poll...polls_0804.htm
      http://www.uscho.com/rankings/
      Number 2 this early in the season and with a bunch of freshmen. They for the most part played exceptionally well against Minnesota but I'm sure Hakstol will tighten up the defense even more as the season progresses.

Also what a balanced attack by the Sioux! By year-end have no idea who will lead the team in scoring. Genoway looked great! What a good mentor for the young Sioux defensemen.

Genoway for Hobey!

http://thecollegehockeyblog.com/2009...omment-page-1/
      "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

So far so good. Keep it up Sioux!
        sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Our centers are outstanding. They are all like NHL centers. Big strong kids. Nobody can knock those guys off the puck. They will definitley lead the way for this years team. Well them and Genoway.

One thing i would like to see is for Kristo to look to pass more on the power play. He is great and i think in time he will learn that he doesn't have to do it all on this team. When guys like Hextall are wide open on the power play you pass it to them to get that goalie moving.

Thats just my 2 cents about the year so far.

Comment

Originally posted by lord k View Post
            Our centers are outstanding. They are all like NHL centers. Big strong kids. Nobody can knock those guys off the puck. They will definitley lead the way for this years team. Well them and Genoway.

One thing i would like to see is for Kristo to look to pass more on the power play. He is great and i think in time he will learn that he doesn't have to do it all on this team. When guys like Hextall are wide open on the power play you pass it to them to get that goalie moving.

Thats just my 2 cents about the year so far.
            Absolutely right about Kristo. He is really quick to shoot on the PP and often times the shots are harmless ones that the goalie can cath or cover easily. Needs a little more patience. Also, maybe put him at forward, and not at the point.

Comment

Originally posted by ExRider19 View Post
              Absolutely right about Kristo. He is really quick to shoot on the PP and often times the shots are harmless ones that the goalie can cath or cover easily. Needs a little more patience. Also, maybe put him at forward, and not at the point.
              so who would you put on the point then? frankly, i don't see a lot of options if you take him off the point. we don't need to fix what's not broken. our PP is converting at 24 percent. Until something goes drastically wrong, I say keep everything as is.

Comment

A little late, but wanted to say congrats on a good series, guys. Hopefully the tables will be turned the next time we meet.

And if this is the stereotypical "slow start" for UND......my Parise, it's gonna be a long year for the haters.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  A little late, but wanted to say congrats on a good series, guys. Hopefully the tables will be turned the next time we meet.
                  I was a little disappointed that we weren't able to freak anyone out at Sensers...maybe in January?
                  Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
                    I was a little disappointed that we weren't able to freak anyone out at Sensers...maybe in January?
                    Hey now, we got a hardy round of applause when we sang the "Jesus Hates WI" song!

(and check the poster's game thread, my post quoting yours....)
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Hey now, we got a hardy round of applause when we sang the "Jesus Hates WI" song!
                      my buddy texted me the next day saying that you all were awesome and he wants to hang with us again. I say we take him on the next Invasion.
                      Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Which reminds me...Brandon, did you know Nick Monson at all?
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                          so who would you put on the point then? frankly, i don't see a lot of options if you take him off the point. we don't need to fix what's not broken. our PP is converting at 24 percent. Until something goes drastically wrong, I say keep everything as is.
                          I would say the powerplay isn't anything spectacular. The percetage is high after a weekend with Merrimack and after Genoway gets 2 goals on the PP vs. Minnesota. You are only go to score on so many shots from the point. i wouldn't bank on that happening every game. Down low and on the wings, where most of your PP goals come from, I didn't think the Sioux generated anything. Kristo is goingto be one the best forwads on the team, and he is smart, I think he would be better served elsewhere. Plus to put a forward freshman at the point makes me a little nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
                            my buddy texted me the next day saying that you all were awesome and he wants to hang with us again. I say we take him on the next Invasion.
                            You mean like the Bemidji one you went on? Wait, nevermind.

Yeah, your buddies were pretty cool. Didn't get to talk to the Wild employee guy too much, but that other guy was good people. And of course Papa Sloe Vag is great.

Comment

With UND being 2nd, and 7 others WCHA teams (including next year's inductions), the conference could be getting the strength back.
                              THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
                              1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
                              1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
                              University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
                              University of Oregon Ducks Football
                              San Francisco Giants
                              Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

I was only able to go to the Friday game, but I really like the play of the Lamoureux-Zajac-Rowney line. There were times when they were really dominating in the offensive zone. I wouldn't want to play against this physical line, and I believe they will cause teams fits this season.
                                'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Working...
                                X