Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brianvf
    replied
    Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Well, hello Mr. Simpson:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=69332

UND has landed possibly the most coveted player in the AJHL -- defenseman Dillon Simpson. The defenseman committed over the weekend.

Simpson is the third-leading defenseman scorer in the AJHL and he's only 16 years old. He chose UND over Denver, Wisconsin and Michigan State, where his NHL father Craig played.

"It was pretty great," Simpson said of his December visit. "I met most of the guys. They are great guys, great coaches. I had a lot of fun. It's a great campus and the fans and the facilities are just unbelivable."

Simpson has accelerated his education and could possibly come to UND next season, which would make for an interesting situation with all of the defensemen.

More to come...
    I highly doubt he would come in next season as a 17yo, especially if Genoway redshirts, but I guess we will see.

Great recruiting get for Hakstol and the coaching staff!

Leave a comment:

• Siouxfaninseattle
    replied

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    UND held Cornell to 31 sog...for the entire weekend. Great defensive hockey from them this weekend, just need to work on finishing a bit.
    UND went 0-8 on the PP, but at least the PK did well...Cornell was 0-12 on the PP.
    I'll take the split.
    The WCHA remains a big cluster in the middle right now. A good weekend for the Sioux against DU could do wonders.
    It certainly would do wonders. Here's how I see it - a 5th place finsh. It looks like barring an incredible run, anything higher is very unlikely. And the 5th place finish means splitting against Denver, SCSU, UMD and sweeping CC and Tech. Catching anybody else doesn't look too promising.

Leave a comment:

• Sloe Gin
    replied

UND held Cornell to 31 sog...for the entire weekend. Great defensive hockey from them this weekend, just need to work on finishing a bit.
    UND went 0-8 on the PP, but at least the PK did well...Cornell was 0-12 on the PP.
    I'll take the split.
    The WCHA remains a big cluster in the middle right now. A good weekend for the Sioux against DU could do wonders.
    a split on the road I'll take.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
    Well, a win is a win. I'll take a split on the road against a very good team. A couple of thoughts from the weekend. Defensively they played great - only allowed 2 goals, and one with Cornell with an extra attacker with 9 seconds left. Offensively, not so great. Only scored 3 goals all weekend. No power play goals again, so that's what, about 0 fer the year?
    I'll take the split.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

Since I spent almost two hours on this update, The GGACPDS!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sloe Gin
    replied

Originally posted by Mike Rane View Post
    Who knows, they could play in the WCHA 1st Round.
    it would certainly be the highest attended game of the weekend

Leave a comment:

• Mike Rane
    replied

Originally posted by lord k View Post
    We could see a Sioux Gopher game for the playin game at the final 5 this year. That would be crazy!
    Who knows, they could play in the WCHA 1st Round.

Leave a comment:

• lord k
    replied

We could see a Sioux Gopher game for the playin game at the final 5 this year. That would be crazy!

Leave a comment:

• Mike Rane
    replied

Hakstol continues his great OOC record this season, going 5-1-2. Now we just need to get some big WCHA wins and I think we'll make the tourney. This might be Hakstol's toughest test in his tenure to get this team into the NCAA's. With all the injuries, I believe it will be his biggest challenge and a great feat if he can pull it off...

Leave a comment:

• Siouxfaninseattle
    replied

Well, a win is a win. I'll take a split on the road against a very good team. A couple of thoughts from the weekend. Defensively they played great - only allowed 2 goals, and one with Cornell with an extra attacker with 9 seconds left. Offensively, not so great. Only scored 3 goals all weekend. No power play goals again, so that's what, about 0 fer the year? Not quite, but it sure needs to improve quick, especially with Denver next week.

Leave a comment:

• lord k
    replied

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
    let's hope they get ONE goal this weekend. Then we'll go from there
    This is the one weekend where that may get UND 1 win.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
    That's sad. And pathetic.

Leave a comment:

• Sloe Gin
    replied

At this rate, I would settle for 1 PPG a weekend.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

Originally posted by lord k View Post
    Somehow they need to figure out how to score at least 1 powerplay goal per game.
    At this rate, I would settle for 1 PPG a weekend.

Leave a comment:

• lord k
    replied

Originally posted by MileHi_Sioux_Fan View Post
    Yep. that and no puck possession. We get a ba****load of shots on net but they are not quality shots on net. Right in the belly of the goaltender. How about establishing the zone, controlling the puck and taking some quality shots at the keeper. I watch teams like Wisco, MN, St. Cloud and Denver...at this point in the year there is puck possession into the zone with controlled shots. I am not seeing that. I see us rushing into the zone naked, not waiting for support and either dumping the puck into the corner to be picked up by the opponent or we shoot it into the keepers belly where we ultimately end up losing the face off....the net of it all. No goals. Games lost by 1. I say skate the puck into the zone, if you dump it, recover it. Otherwise enter the zone, control the puck, set it up, move it around and shoot the pucker. We are a puck possession team so let's control that little pucker. That being said, we have a ton of Freshmen who need to get used to playing the system....which reminds me...how much cycling in the offensive zone are we seeing in the past 8 games...minimal. I would tend to blame this on lack of experience ie. freshmen.
    The Sioux this year do like to dump the puck in but as far as the lack of cycling? They are one of the best forechecking-cycling teams in the country.

They do sometimes seem to throw pucks at the net without much purpose but they are trying to get out of the slump. The lack of good finishers and a slumping power play are the main problems. Somehow they need to figure out how to score at least 1 powerplay goal per game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X